Z-Wave Unresponsive

I recently purchased a Hubitat and got it all set up this week, but today none of my Z-wave devices are working. I try to manually turn them on/off via the hub, but nothing happens and none of my automation is running. I've tried reverting to an old hub firmware and I did a restart by unplugging for 30 seconds then plugging back in but nothing has fixed it.

I found two random devices in the Z-Wave section have zero information. It also appears that the device "32" may be the issue. I keep trying to remove it, but nothing happens.

Any ideas?

I am trying to upload images of the Z-wave Logs, but I keep getting an error saying: "Sorry, you can't embed media items in a post." I'm assuming there is some sort of minimum post count since my account is new, but if there is a way around this, I'd love to upload the photos to hopefully get some help with this issue.

We’d like it, too, if we could see your screenshots. It’s a necessary evil to keep out spambots.

Just spend some time reading, and, in 24 hours, after time spent reading has increased, your privileges will be automatically increased.

In the meantime, because of what you posted, see if this describes your problem and the fix.

When you post back tomorrow, it would help if you posted the model of Hubitat hub you have and the firmware level.

Sorry you are having difficulties, but welcome to the Hubitat community.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response! I just ordered a Z-wave stick to try out your suggestion. I'll report back once I receive and test it out.

Also, my hub is a C7 and the firmware is: hub-2.2.6.140

1 Like

Well I followed your advise and I was able to remove the ghost devices, which I thought fixed my issue. Unfortunately, today I woke up and my devices are not responding again. My automations aren't running, and when I click On/Off on my switches in Hubitat, nothing happens. Also, my sensors are not reflecting their states on Hubitat either.

I checked to make sure the ghost devices didn't return and they hadn't so, now I'm at a loss of what to do. Any ideas?

Again, we’d like it, too, if we could see your screenshots.

Have you tried shutting down the hub (Settings > Shutdown) to red light, power down at the wall plug (not at the micro USB - it is fragile, and solder joints to PC board can break). Restore power after 30 seconds. That's the only way to reboot the Z-Wave Radio.

I rebooted the Z-Wave Radio as you suggested, but that did not work unfortunately. Here are a few photos of one of my Basement Bathroom Motion Lighting. Basically, I have a motion sensor in the bathroom that turns on the light.

Here's the automation:

Here's the logs:

And here's the motion sensor and light both showing they're inactive/off despite the automation saying they are on/should be turning on.

This is happening on every device/automation in my house and I have 72 devices and probably 30 automations. I can't even control the lights from my hub, as the On/Off buttons do nothing. I have tried everything from removing and re-adding devices to removing and re-adding automations. I'm just stumped at this point :frowning:

There’s one thing odd about your Motion Lighting automation. Specifically, that you have “Basement Bathroom Lights” being controlled both as a Dimmer and as a Switch.

I have 3 instances of Motion Lighting apps, none use Modes, and I don’t think that’s an issue. However, I don’t control the lights as both Dimmers and as Switches.

The other thing that would be useful to see is your Z-Wave Details page. Do you have any power metering devices? If so, the C-7 seems to have issues with those spamming the Z-Wave mesh if the reporting is too aggressive, or if they are paired S0 (rather than “None” security), or if there are lots of them.

I think you might be on to something when it comes to power reporting. I have two devices that report watts so I can know when my washer/dryer are done. However, they are both reporting every 10 seconds.

I tried turning every option to off to test it, but they both still report every 10 seconds or less. I'm not sure how I can lower that so it doesn't report as often.

Could I see the Z-Wave Details for those devices?

Also, Z-Wave details for everything (to see RSSI and errors).

I was able to get them to start reporting every 5 minutes, after selecting that option multiple times, but if that fixes it, I'll be so happy! Here are the washer/dryer details:

Here are all the Z-wave devices:

Also, thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

Ok, and this may be related, I see that your motion sensors are paired S0. That causes 3X the traffic of S2, and even S2 has more overhead than None. I can understand having S0 secure pairing on your Front Door Lock because it is a perimeter device and is not Z-Wave Plus (no 0x5E cluster, not capable of S2). I can understand wanting to have the Garage Door paired securely, but I can’t understand the S0 security.

I would suggest excluding and re-pairing the Garage Door S2 for 1/3 traffic. Easiest way to do that without breaking automations, dashboards, etc., is to make a virtual device of the same type, temporarily swap the virtual device in for every instance of the Garage Door’s “in use by” list on the device page until nothing is using the Garage Door, then exclude, reset the Garage Door device to factory defaults, then Re-include, then swap it with each instance of the virtual device’s “in use by” list.

But that’s probably not the big issue here because your Garage Door isn’t running all the time.

I can’t understand having the Motion Sensors paired S0 (with the high 3X packet traffic) or having any secure pairing at all for an indoor motion sensor. Because the S0 motion sensors are Z-Wave Plus (long story about difficulty of getting S0 only devices to pair with “None” security, requires a USB Z-Stick and PC Controller, search the forum), and thus can be paired “None” security, I would use the same procedure given above to exclude, factory reset, include the motion sensors with “None” security.

Finally, you have a bunch of devices with weak signals (negative dB RSSI). You might benefit from judicious sprinkling of repeaters in areas where the mesh is weak. I use the Ring Alarm Extender Gen 2 (I have 6 now, I believe). The Aeotec Range Extender 7 is also good (I have 2). The reason I use the Ring is that it has an internal battery backup, and also can provide power fail events (power source switch to battery) to your hub (hopefully, on a UPS) so a rule can do a graceful shutdown before the UPS goes dead.

Hope this helps.

Edit: you would benefit from installing Tony Fleisher’s (@tony.fleisher’s) excellent Hub Mesh Details app, that can be installed by Dominic Meglio’s (@dman2306’s) Hubitat Package Manager (“HPM”). It concisely shows you neighbors, routes, errors, etc.

I removed all of the motion sensors and readded them with zero security. I only have the garage and front door with S0 security now, but I hope to get the garage door done tomorrow. I also installed the Z-Wave mesh tool and bought a couple Z-Wave extenders to hopefully help my system. I'll report back if this doesn't resolve my issue. Thanks again!

3 Likes

What you are seeing is not normal. I’ve never seen it (now I am cursed .... ). Please post back with progress. You may have a bad device that is spamming your mesh. Only way to find that is by process of elimination, and that process breaks things that route through the problem device. I feel your pain.

The Device Stats tab from the Logs screen maybe able to help you find devices that are trouble. Devices that are sending lots of messages will usually show up with large numbers in the Count ("How many methods were called...") column.

2 Likes