Z-Wave Unresponsive After 2.3.8.122 Upgrade

Updated both C7 Hubs to 2.3.8.122. Subsequently followed (to the letter) Updating Z-Wave radio on C-7 hubs after version 2.3.8.122 as per the Release Notes (previously was already on 2.3.8.xxx).

Everything seemed to go OK, saw Success twice on the Z-Wave Updaters. Boxes both rebooted normally.

Now under Alerts I am seeing Z-Wave is unresponsive. None of my Z-Wave devices will function, if I click On/Off, its like I'm doing nothing. There is nothing showing in the Z-Wave Mesh either. Z-Wave logs are empty and I can't find any other troubleshooting information.

I have carried out a reboot and also a shutdown and unplug from wall for 5-10 mins, but neither have made any difference.

Any ideas?

Have found that following Step 1 in the linked article to downgrade the Z/IP Gateway (as below) at least restores Z-Wave functionality. So I would guess its something to do with the later firmware. Have not tried upgrading again yet.

1. Go to: yourHubIP*/hub/advanced/installZipgateway715

Post what you get from:

yourhubIP/hub/zwaveVersion

This is the one I downgraded again...

VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:18, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:18, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:15]])

I've tried updating the secondary one again and this time I am not seeing the errors, did absolutely nothing different on it to the what I did previously.

The versions on that now are

VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:18, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:18, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:18]])

Further update, tried updating the Primary AGAIN (as the Secondary worked ok) and the Primary has reported the same error as before.

After the upgrade i.e. when its NOT working, I get a 404 error when I try and browse to /hub/zwaveVersion, don't know if that's significant or not, but seems like it would be.

If you go to your ZWave Details screen is ZWave still enabled and did you reboot after upgrading? If still not working try a shutdown, remove power for 10-15 seconds and reboot.

1 Like

Did you have the "Update Firmware" button present on the Z-Wave Details page?

Sounds like something is preventing the update to Z/IP Gateway 7.18. Can you please send me your hub id so we can further investigate? Your second one looks good to go now.

I did on BOTH hubs the first time I attempted the upgrade. After I downgraded, I noticed that the button had gone on both of them, so effectively skipped that step the second time round in both cases.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I deleted your hub ID, as that is unique to your hub. I'll follow up in a private message once we had a chance to look at your hub.

@bobbyD I had a similar issue with my C7 on 2.3.8.122.

Last night, I was having trouble with one of my devices not responding to zwave commands. I opened the zwave log and sent a command - the device didn't respond and nothing showed up in the log. I ran a zwave repair on that device with the log open - again, nothing in the log.

I rolled back to 119. The log and devices are all working fine again. There certainly seems to be an issue with C7 zwave on 122.

Have you confirmed your C7 is up to date?

If you've completed the C7 Z-Wave update if it applied to you...

hubIPaddress/hub/zwaveVersion should return:

VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:18, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:18, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:18]])

hubIPaddress/hub/advanced/installZipgateway718 should show return:

already running v7.18.3

Yes. I'm completely up to date

1 Like

Aside from disabling the auto firmware update on .122, nothing else has changed, from .119. Perhaps, the Z-Wave crashed and after rebooting to install .119, the radio came back online. Please send me your hub id in a private message so we can look at what might have happened.

Any further ideas yet?

Assuming you've already sent your hub UID to Bobby. Remember it's Sunday, so there may not be much more action until the week starts. Pretty darn nice that HE staff are hanging out here on the weekends, but I do support them trying to have a life outside of work. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

well aware thanks, I sent the UID on Friday, wasn't being pushy, just trying to see if I've missed anything. thanks

2 Likes

We are still investigating. We will follow up on your private message as soon as we have identified the problem.

2 Likes

Go away, no one wants you here!

:wink::grin:

1 Like

You'd need to take my phone away, first, because it keeps buzzing me.

3 Likes