Z-Wave switch to control smart bulbs, Any good experience?

Some Z-Wave switches out there will advertise themselves as "smart bulb compatible" (Inovelli and Zooz are good examples).

Have you found a creative ways to use this and how?
If yes, which switch are you using, how did you set it up and what about delays?

In my first attempt to use this feature I'm experiencing over 1 second delay which is very unpleasant (Zooz double switch, I started a thread for this in here here * ).

I know nothing about the z-wave protocol and hardware but I'm starting to think that if the delay is inevitable, would it ever be suitable to control "smart bulbs" as advertised?
And what are the options when this (control smart bulb from a switch) is exactly what you need?

I have to say after getting help from the community regarding switch settings I contacted Zooz support who has been very responsive as always.

I have a lot of Z-Wave switches/dimmers (mostly Inovelli; I have used Zooz in the past) controlling smart bulbs (mostly Hue via a Bridge integration, but the idea should be the same with any). I'm not saying any of my use is "creative," but I still think it's pretty neat that you can basically make these switches work like a "regular" switch/dimmer. I can:

• tap up to turn on the lights
  • tap down to turn off the lights (neither of these is exactly groundbreaking...)
  • press and hold up to brighten/dim up
  • press and hold down to dim "down" (seems like both of these should be easy to set up, but it's difficult with some hubs or devices but is pretty easy on Hubitat with most devices)
  • use muti-taps (or the config button on Inovelli) to activate different "scenes"/settings/states for the bulbs, e.g., a single-tap on might set it to warm white like I usually want, but a double-tap up might set them to cool white, or two taps down might activate Hue's "Relax" scene (very warm white and slightly dimmed)

Really, you can use the taps (or config button on Inovelli) for anything that Hubitat can do, even if it's not related to lighting at all. The config button on one of mine toggles on/off a tower fan nearby, for example. Five taps down in my bedroom also activates my "good night routine" if I go to bed early enough that it hasn't already happened on its own (activating night mode, turning off all lights that might still be on, etc.).

As a side note, I know one reason staff say native drivers don't support all five taps on these is because no one can remember them all. I understand why that can be an issue, but I have sort of a system: I like "up" taps for representing things that are "on" or "bright" (hence, my 4000K scene) and "down' taps for things that are vaguely "off" or "dim" (hence the "Relax" scene and night mode). Maybe some mnemonics may help you (or your family, but don't count on most people figuring this out besides you...) remember what does what if you set up a lot. :smiley:

For the "delay," I have not seen this be nearly as big of a deal as some people have blown it up on the Inovelli forums--and perhaps elsewhere--to be. But I'm also the primary user of the switch/dimmer and understand how it works; a slight "delay" is pretty much inevitable, as they have to make sure you're not doing a multi-tap before it registers a single tap. I believe Inovelli is working on updated firmware to allow you to reduce this (as-is, you can get by with some really slow multi-taps, so this should help it register single taps faster), and you can already disable multi-taps entirely to register a single press instantly (but then you loose scenes, and I don't want that).

I'm not as familiar with the Zooz but once had one set up similarly to the above (except with fewer taps). Their "smart bulb mode," if I recall, actually internally tracks a level, so you can use an app to "mirror" that to your smart bulbs if you want, rather than responding to button events and manipulating the bulbs based on those. I actually prefer doing it the other way, pretty much just treating the dimmer or switch (either of which would work for this purpose) as a remote/button device, but some people think this other way is more intuitive. You will lose the level indicator on the dimmers this way, and I think Inovelli is also working on a similar mode to accommodate people who prefer this, but I'm really good either way (I can see the level of the lights fine on my own :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

Never thought of changing color temperature this way, I will definitely try something similar.
I'm kind of scared about multi taps on the Zooz switch since 3 taps can put it on inclusion/exclusion mode (I don't know whether or not it can cause issues if done by accident).

All my switches are zooz (got a ton last year) but just now I got the opportunity to install them and Hubitat.

I guess that waiting one second (or a bit more) to change a scene is ok but to turn a light on it feels like a lot. You open the door, tap the switch and have to stand in there for two seconds before entering the room (because it is dark ), at least that was my daughter's first impression.

Maybe we will get use to it eventually.
What is the delay on the Inovelli switches? Is it also about 1 second?

1 Like

I think the specific "delay" with Inovelli is 750 ms, but I don't have that kind of resolution in the real world, so I tried it myself and would have guessed it was about a second. :slight_smile: But again, I believe they are working on a new firmware version that will allow customizing this wait time beyond the current "all or nothing" option.

Zooz double switch is definitely more than that.
It will be great if they are able to reduce it.
At this point it is too late for me to go with Inovelli (i have all light switches covered already).
I did got their fan control which looks great. I love the LEDs.

I've been able to train my family to wait a couple seconds after hitting a switch. However, I've had guests in my house do double taps because they lose patience when the light doesn't come on right away after the first tap so they decide to tap it again. For switches that guests use, my policy is now to program Hubitat to do the same thing in response to a double tap as it does in response to a single tap. Otherwise, when someone does an impatient double tap, either nothing happens or something completely different than expected happens.