Z-Wave Switch Operation

I installed a couple of Z-Wave switches (Zooz ZEN76) recently and have them working locally with the toggle as well as on@dusk & off@11:30PM. I'm curious as to whether or not the toggle action occurs locally in the switch, or does the toggle action get sent to the HE which in turn operates the switch output on/off. The local toggle action just seemed to work without any rule creation on my part.

The switch will work without any automation. When you physically touch the switch it works directly on the switch but also sends the state change to HE. But the control is direct.

Let me guess. Are you from SmartThings?

If so, WELCOME!

You'll find things just make sense here. They aren't overcomplicated.

2 Likes

The toggle action in an app or rule gets sent to Hubitat, which then sets the appropriate command to the switch, either on() or off(), based on the last known switch state.

Am I misunderstanding, or are these replies saying the opposite?

I'm not coming from SmartThings, this is my first foray into home automation.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my question. Simply stated, I'm asking if when you push the top of the rocker, is that action sent to the HE, which in turn sends an ON command to the switch output? Or does pushing the top of the rocker cause the switch output to turn ON without any involvement of the HE?

Let's say you wanted to have the switch output turn ON 5 minutes after you pushed the top of the rocker. Would that be possible?

1 Like

Thereโ€™s no Hubitat involvement here, assuming the switch is not in smart-bulb mode.

Yes. This would involve running a Hubitat automation in response to a physical on received from the switch.

1 Like

@markbellkosel84 is correct.

I thought you referring to the toggle command thatโ€™s within Rule Machine. As opposed to a toggle-style smart switch.

1 Like

Oops. I read ZEN16. Sorry.

I will just leave this here if you have not found this on your own already :grinning:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.