Z-Wave Repair Hangs

Great question, I believe yes, I had a similar issue, I ended replacing all my non Plus devices near my door lock ! Let see what is the answer from the experts of HE.

info Finished Z-Wave Network Repair

:+1:

Is your problematic device a GE? I have a Z-Wave Plus GE in-wall switch (14291) that has also randomly (but very infrequently) stopped reporting physical presses; it always responds to and reports digital events. Pulling the air gap for a few moments will restore it to normal operation. It has only done this a couple of times since I installed it in May so I never bothered to swap it out. I've since seen a few posts from ST forum members that have reported the same problem (again with GE Z-Wave Plus in-wall devices) so I have come to suspect its a firmware issue with the devices.

Yes it’s a 14294 v2 plus dimmer. Thanks for the information.

I’d still love to know more details from the HE staff about the repair and pairing process because I’d hate for a plus switch to be rioting through a non Plus switch.

Pop the air gap on the old device and do a Repair. The hub will route around the failed device.

Test

When Repair has completed push in the air gap.

Test
Any difference?

1 Like

Tried this last night and no difference. Notice the repair didn’t happen in same order from lowest node number to highest.

@mike.maxwell @bravenel @chuck.schwer any thoughts to my question above? I switched out a bunch of old school GE switches with newer models a few months ago and have still have some more recent non-Plus switches spread throughout my home where I don’t care as much for physical status. I am curious if Zwave repeating through these devices could be impacting several Plus switches that are no longer reporting events. I have 3 switches in place affected at the moment. 2 of them have a non-Plus Switch in the same gang box.

Having a mix of Z wave plus and Z wave classic should not cause any of the symptoms that you have seen, nor should it cause any particular problems in routing.

Z wave specification requires backwards compatibility for each new generation. They expect people to have a mix of generations, and there aren't any particular special requirements for adding the devices in any particular order.

There is one best practice recommendation, which is that it is good if every Z wave plus device has at least one path back to the hub via zwave plus devices, because otherwise some of the advanced features of zwave plus would not be used for that particular device. But it's not a requirement and not having it wouldn't damage any of your messaging along the network.

And in addition to all that, it's quite unlikely that a zwave device of any generation would choose a device that's right next to it as a repeater. The specifics get pretty complicated, but in general in order to maximize total range, it will try to select a repeater that is near the edge of its own range. :sunglasses:

1 Like