Z-Wave Network Busy Errors, Network Repair Failure

When I try to do a Z-Wave network repair (release 2.2.3.132) on a C-7 hub, everything starts out fine (for about the first dozen device), then I get a string of failures and network busy messages. It looks like there are still some severe firmware problems with the C-7 Zwave interface. Is this a "known" problem being worked by Hubitat? Are others having this issue too?

See:

You are going to want to do an individual node repair on the ones that gave you trouble. What you are seeing is most likely the outcome of the routing table getting really messed up from previous issues.

Thanks. I'll give that a try tonight.

Could this be related to the nodes being more than one hope away so they can't be reached on the first attempt?

• If so, I suggest the system should try to do a first run through the repair process, and each time it hits the "Busy", it should say something like "Node out of reach, will make second (third, fourth) attempt".
  • Perhaps combined with a message at the top of the page, have a "First Stage", "Second Stage", "Third Stage", "Fourth Stage" message.
  • Also, I'd really encourage adding a clearer message about this - the log gives no hint as to how to recover from this.

Finally, I'd suggest something from the "HomeSeer" world which is, rather than just a "repair" option, it may also help to have a "Test Node Connectivity" option where the system tries to send a message to all the nodes to see if they can respond.

Thanks for your quick response to my prior message and your consideration of these suggestions.

Yes.. There is lots more to come on this.. Z-Wave mesh maintenance is going to see a lot of improvements over the next few releases.

6 Likes

Thank you. What will be very helpful! I have a fairly large network (about 100 Zwave devices) that I'm trying to move from HomeSeer to Hubitat and am running into a number of Z-Wave networking problems doing so. Having some more tools to check what's happening will be very useful.

1 Like

I'll still give my number one recommendation: Stop doing Z-Wave repairs, unless you have a bunch of non plus devices. And even then just do the repair on the non plus devices.

Z-Wave repairs simply don't do what many people think they do. And for Z-Wave plus devices, are usually unnecessary to do at all.

Especially in the state the hub is in right now, doing repairs does more harm than good as often as not.

That said, in the future some of the mesh maintenance tools Bryan is working on may be very useful.

But that doesn't have anything to do directly with the current state of Z-Wave repairs.

3 Likes

Thanks. It seems that if repair doesn't do what people think it does, then the interface needs to be fixed to explain when / why it should be used. In any case, I have a couple of non-Plus devices (older door locks; water valves) and have found that the Z-wave repair does help them gain a more reliable connection. But if its only for networks where there are "non-Plus" devices, the solution may be to have the "Repair" option say "Repair Older (Non-Zwave Plus) Devices" or to have it greyed out with a hover-over indicator or text that says "Repair Not Needed. Repair only available on networks with older (non-zwave plus) devices".