Z-Wave LR and HE firmware

I just went through a very frustrating time trying to add a long range device. No matter what I tried it kept pairing as a mesh device. Finally I realized the hub was on firmware 2.3.8. I updated and was able to get one device to connect properly and one was still having issues. I finally resolved everything by resetting Z-Wave radio. It seems I had gotten something in a bad state.

My suggestion is to update the How to Use Z-Wave LR page. The requirements for the hub to be on version 2.3.9 are buried at the very bottom. It would be good if this was at the top of the page. C-8/C-8p and 2.3.9 should be prominent on the page.

It should also be added to the "How to Add a Z-Wave LR Device" section of the Add Device page. I went over the steps multiple times until I realized the issue.

Sure, it was my mistake. It is a simple update that might save others some aggravation.

EDIT: One other small issue I had in the iOS app version 2.0 - When naming a SmartStart device it will fail to be added if you use an emoji. Not a big deal but it would be nice if it indicated the name was invalid. It was my first time using the app and I wasn't sure why the add was failing.

1 Like

In general, it should be assumed that the docs refer to the current hub platform version unless otherwise noted. These particular pages were updated (or added in the case of the former) on the day of release.

That being said, since the change is fairly new, these changes sound like a good idea and have been made for now!

3 Likes

Well if that were the case then there is no need to burry the version in a note at the bottom of the "how to use Z-Wave LR" page. :wink:

I just got in a nasty loop of following the steps on the Add Device page where I would factory reset the sensor and go through the process again. Like I said - it was my own stupidity that got me there. A note would have gotten me to my "D'oh!" moment faster. :smiley:

Thanks for the update. It is good for us simple folk.

PS: I installed the LR contact sensor outside on a gate today and it is working great. It is a wonderful addition to the protocol.

That isn't really what it said before, though -- it was just a note that the requisite "region" change would happen automatically on upgrade (and implied that it should be verified if you changed it for some reason). :slight_smile:

In any case, hopefully this is helpful!

I am running a C8 hub with the latest firmware - 2.3.9.154. I'm having trouble adding a LR device. I tried the documented procedure twice.

I used the SmartStart feature in the app, and the device shows up as "Included" with a node ID and the correct long code number. After the device showed up on the SmartStart list in the app, I edited the device to give it a name and saved it. I then plugged the device in and turned it on. The device is about 4' from the hub.

I also downloaded the SmartStart Nanager app and installed it on the hub. It shows the device on the list, but when you click on it, here is what is displayed:

I find it odd that the browser UI says the device is not included, but the mobile app does.

After an hour or so, crickets, the device never shows up in the device list in either the app or from a web browser.

Prior to attempting the SmartStart addition process, I ensured the device was reset to factory defaults. This is a Minoston Z-Wave Plug Outlet - model MP21Z. I bought it to replace a really old GE outlet plug that is no longer responding its state to the hub.

I'll leave it plugged in all night to see if anything happens, but if I missed a step or there is something else I need to do, let me know.

I may just punt and add it the traditional way, but the LR feature would be nice.

The first thing I'd do is check Logs -- at this point possibly Past Logs -- specifically for events from the "Hub" or "sys:1". If you see any errors about bootstrapping, as some users who've migrated their radios have, it may eventually work if you try enough times (I ran into this once and it did for me), but the only other "fix" might be waiting for some upcoming (no timeline...) Z-Wave changes on the hub or (certain to work but more of a pain the more devices you have--and not where I'd recommend starting) a radio reset.

The third-party app you found for the hub just reads the same endpoint/data the mobile app uses, AFAIK, so it's unusual that they would show different things. I believe this app only fetches it when the "main" screen is loaded, not on every page load of any page, so it's possible you're seeing old/cached data. But your "Devices" list or (if you aren't affected by a problem with disappearing nodes) Z-Wave Details would tell you for sure if the device is there. The table-based view in this app is also easier to see this in, IMO.

1 Like

Yes what @bertabcd1234 said is correct. The Hub app (that I created) reads the same data point as the mobile app. Try force closing the mobile app and re-opening it to see if it will read the data from the hub again.

Be careful editing the name of the device in the mobile app, if you are not using the Beta 2.0 app then it will change the boot mode to mesh since the old app does not have a LR option.

Looks like it is currently set to LR mode so that should be good.

Possibly the device started including but then failed so it is stuck in a state of not paired but it not going into the discovery mode.

I would shut down the hub and unplug for 30 seconds then re-plug and boot.
Once it is booted back up, open a live logs on a new tab. Then either run an exclusion on the hub and device (you should get unknown device excluded) OR you can also just factory reset the device. This should kick it into pairing mode and within a minute you should see a log message about SmartStart pairing starting, followed shortly after that (10-30 seconds) by debug logs while the device is configured.

This is probably the most important part. For those of us with LR pairing issues, and there are more than a few, this will be how you know... If your hub was upgraded from an older version, there is a possibility you won't be able to add any LR devices... They are working on it behind the scenes, but its not the Hub's issue, its SiLabs...

Interesting, thanks for your reply. I'm going to skip the LR thing for now.

Turns out I also have an Enertek relay that has never functioned correctly since I added it using SmartStart. It seems to support LR, but it shows up like this:

I am not that familiar with the SmartStart Manager, I suppose I could try to change it to SmartStartLR and see if that does anything to fix its wonky behavior. If all else fails, I could just add it the old fashioned way...

Changing the settings in SmartStart after the device is already paired has no impact to the existing paring. The only way it would have an effect is if you then excluded the device and then it should pair itself again automatically using the current SmartStart settings.

Also, pairing a device via SmartStart gets you the same end result as pairing manually. The only thing SmartStart does is preload the info into the hub so the device can self-pair. Once the pairing process is kicked off it is the exact same as paring a device manually and typing in the DSK for S2 security (if you select security).

What makes you think it supports LR? It would need to be noted in the product details or on the product itself.

As for the device acting up, two possible issues are a mesh issue or a security issue.
If the issue is related to the mesh (low neighbors or weak signal) then possibly if the device supports it, pairing it in LR mode would fix that issue because it would not be part of the mesh anymore.
For security, some devices have been known to either not implement the S2 security 100% properly, or possibly the HE driver is not handling something with the security correctly. Which then can cause issues with the device operation. The solution for that could be to re-pair the device without security (either manually or via SmartStart by removing the grants).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.