Z-Wave issues after power outage

found this thread searching the forum since I'm going through basically the same thing right now... lost power, hub on UPS, none of my switches or plugs are though ... power went out twice for maybe 15-20 min each time... this was 3 days ago. I am still having issues and trying all the usual as well. Did anyone come to any resolve?

When dealing with power outages, the most common issue is that when power was restored, it could have caused one or more mains powered devices to go bad, which would translate in major Z-Wave issues. Checking the Z-Wave Details table for dead devices would be my first go to place. If you'd like help, you can post screenshots of the Z-Wave Details table.

Also, I wouldn't run repair until you are certain that you are not dealing with dead devices. Doing so may cause more problems.

Reason being that neither devices nor the hub changed location, so old routes are as good as they were.

3 Likes

I have one Jasco / GE switch that never seems to recover from a extended power failure when power is restored. All I can think of is that something cools down in the switch causing an open and then when power is restored it never initializes right. If I let it stay on the mains while it's not working and then power cycle and the switch works again. I have been planning to replace and bench test the switch but right now power failures a few and the switch only controls one outdoor light.

As for messing with the mesh, that switch sometimes is a router for other devices in that room but I have enough switches there that it's not a single route blocker.

thanks - the mesh looks good from what I can tell from the details page.... I did initially have several devices show as not responding and even after one (hub shutdown/power cycle or reboot I forget which) where no devices showed in the detail page at all. All devices are physically working.

I havent run a full repair - I've done that a few times for other issues but it doesnt seem to do anything. I have run repair on individual devices. Last night i even went through each device page and hit 1) configure (wait for sync confirmation), 2) save settings (wait for sync confirmation), 3) save device... rinse and repeat for each switch. Test operation trough the web page and confirm status on the IOS app.

After all that this is what I am still getting

where all 4 switches are in the same "kitchen lights" group.

here the details:

1 Like

Devices look fine. I would start with another shutdown and unplug of the hub. Leave it off for 5 minutes then plug it back in. Disconnect power from the wall, not the hub.

Secondly, I'd install the community app "Hubitat Z-Wave Mesh Details". It gives more stats on devices and maybe we can see something going on with error count or signal or something.

5 Likes

as mentioned i have had this, where not so much the outage, but frequent on/offs that happen prior to a total blackout have a habit of frying the radio in switches. I have had quite a few fry that way.

And if one of these was relaying messages then it fubars your entire mesh

go through your switches (if you want to narrow it down. look at which are relaying in your zwave info) and test one at a time to see if it works or not.. If not you have isolated the potential problem.

if found, remove the bad device or replace , and repair individually the devices that were relaying through it.

what i mean by test is through the device panel in hubitat.. the switch itself may still work manually with the radio fried.

1 Like

yes - this is what I did, what I was trying to say above - operated the device through the device panel (webpage) and checked that it was responding by confirming the status in the Hubitat app on my phone. A lot of them didnt at first or where slow- so I went through the congig/save/etc to ensure they were updating and they seemed to be responsive - at least individually - after that.

What I am having fits with seems to be devices in groups - or in some cases I lost the direct associations and had to put them back. Its also seems to be just the wall switches, dimmers mostly that arent reliable. Plugs and on/off switches are fairing better.

thanks - that's pretty neat, but not sure what I am looking for - does anything here indicate a problem?

I'd keep an eye on the error count. If there are issues the error count will increase. I don't remember what the signal numbers are supposed to look like on a stock hub but those seem pretty bad. Especially the negative ones in red. Give it a day or two and check it again. Here's a screenshot of mine for comparison:

1 Like

Thanks! so red is bad, then yellow is not great?

I feel like group responses are starting to normalize... last night when my landscape lights group (1 dimmer switch, 1 on/off switch, 1 plug) schedule turned off they all turned off - for the past several days the dimmer switch was getting missed. And this morning when I told Alexa turn on kitchen lights they all came on.

Boy z-wave sure is temperamental

When there is a power outage, all of the mains powered devices that are not on a UPS will go offline. If some of these devices are active repeaters, the battery powered devices will start looking for other routes to the hub. This can get them confused and it can take a few days for the mesh to settle down again after power is restored. Losing power twice in a row just made matters worse.

Hopefully, the mesh will recover in a few days unless one of the mains powered devices was damaged by a power surge when power was restored.