Z-Wave glitch

@kanewolf This is an excellent suggestion. It is possible your original issue was caused by zwave ghosts. They are a pain but can be dealt with. They can occur as a result of a partial zwave inclusion and can cause symptoms like the ones you describe.

2 Likes

This is a screen shot with about 12 hours of no changes. All AC powered devices are set to be hubs. All battery powered devices are NOT set as hubs.

I'm not familiar with setting devices to be hubs or not. Can you be more specific?

Any reason why you're using S2 authenticated security? It's generally used with security devices like locks but not so often with internal doors or switches. It's not nearly as bad as S0 but it does add overhead that may not be needed.

1 Like

There is an option in for each device "Hub Mesh Enable" that allows them to be relays for weak transmitters. I have the Mesh Enable turned ON for all AC powered devices.
I have S2 enabled but not S2 class 2 (Access control) Just S2 Class 0 and 1. That is the default that is provided from the DSK QR code.

Ah ok. That actually does something unrelated to ZWave. It makes them available to be shared across HEs using the Hub Mesh app. Hub mesh is a LAN-based protocol not dependent on zwave. The nomenclature is a bit confusing. By default any zwave line powered device will repeat, any battery powered device will not.

Understand that S2 is the default. I was suggesting that you add them without S2 at all. Your call, just reduces overhead.

3 Likes

Yeah, that is a confusing term. Using "mesh" for devices that are in an RF mesh, to mean a LAN protocol. Not great.

Just to add to @brad5 's comments....I don't see any ghosts and your RTT and signal strengths (LWR RSSI) look good. As @brad5 states, it is your call whether to exclude and include without S2. The only way to change this is to exclude and include without security. I would understand if you don't want to do this now with all the work you have done recently to get to where you are. Just keep it in mind when you include any new devices.....it is usually recommended to use S2 only on devices such as locks and garage door openers.

2 Likes

I really don't understand this. My research says that S2 is a less chatty implementation and for Z-Wave Plus devices, especially the 700 series, it is beneficial.

Less chatty than its predecessor S0, yes absolutely.

1 Like

S2 is less chatty compared to the old S0. S2 does add some overhead. Your call if you want or need this security. You might do a search on this forum for " is S2 needed".

I believe S2 is the default because of the SDK from Silabs.

3 Likes

Take a look at this... I am not enough of an expert to know whether it is 100% accurate in every detail but it is interesting for sure.

Not beneficial no, definitely not. Just causes less of a issue than S0 however honestly unless YOU need it I would advise you remove it. It's z-wave attempt as being as secure as ZigBee when the architecture of the system was not. So it's a "fix" but it still increases traffic and chances of issues (not all drivers support it or implement it well). I have my blinds joined S2 and I want to remove it as they are always the ones with issues.

1 Like

Isn't that contradictory ? "not beneficial" but "causes less of an issue than S0" ...

No security is better than S2 is better than S0.

3 Likes

This isn't a thread to preach on the benefits or defects of S2. As long as I am OK with the performance, I will continue to run S2. No security is faster. Is that "better"? I couldn't care less. If the closet light comes on before I walk in, that is the only speed required.

I’m not preaching anything. Just pointing out that the comparison in your post that I responded to was an absurd comparison, because @BorrisTheCat wasn’t comparing S2 vs S0. He was comparing the lack of using secure zwave to using S2.

3 Likes

Correct. You would never want S0 full stop that's not even up for discussion. SO is last resort if the device only supports that and it has to be IE locks.

It's not just the speed as I said because inherently you end up with some issues with z-wave in security mode some developers don't put it in their drivers because even they don't use it. So it can limit your device from options as your stuck with the only driver that supports it and may or may not support it well. Again locks ect which would only use it you wouldn't have any issues with, it's devices that others just wouldn't bother using security on.

2 Likes

Don't forget S2 has the added benefit of better error checking requirements.

3 Likes

This is why I use S2 on any device that supports it. S2 (and 100kbs links on no security) both use CRC error checking vs a simple checksum byte. Because I cant verify all devices stay at 100kbps, S2 works for me. I don't care about the security aspect of it at all.

Note however that I don't use motion lighting so any sight difference in speed doesn't matter to me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.