Z-Wave Firmware upgrade on Mac Studio M1

Ok lets start with what I have on hand:

Mac Studio M1
Homeseer Z-wave Z-wave Stick
Silicon Studios Z-wave Stick

Hubitat C8 with Lots of Zwave devices mostly Leviton

So I have installed the Device Firmware Upgrade app and uploaded DZ6HD_v1_1.22.ota file
I then selected a DZ6HD switch and tried to do a start firmware upgrade. It then says
Device Firmware Updater: Loading firmware file DZ6HD_v1_22.ota
and just sits there. The progress bar never moves.

So I then tried to go to my old standby and launch Parallels Windows 11 and startup SIlicon Studio V5. The problem is it doesnt see either of my Z-wave sticks. I then go to Silicon Studios and try to download a CP2102 driver. I then expand the downloaded zip file. There is no .inf file to install the driver with. Unfortunately Silicon Studio Zwave PC Controller does not support the Mac so I cannot run it natively.

I am presuming its because I have an ARM system running under emulation.
Unfortunately I don't have any X86 machines anymore to even run Parallels under.

Am I missing something with the Device Firmware App on the C8 why it wont do the firmware update?

Any suggestions to do firmware updates for a Mac Studio M1 or ways of getting a driver for the stick.

Short of purchasing a windows Intel system are there any other more complete sticks I can use for the process of firmware upgrades?

It may be that USB devices are not passed into Parallel VM. Note: that would be the situation for VirtualBox, IDK about Parallels. If so, there should be a way to enable USB devices.

I can select them in the Parallels menu. Parallels even asks whether I want the Mac side or the Windows side to have access the new USB device. I had no problem in my old Intel based iMac.
I do not see . inf files when I download Silicon Studio universal driver zip package.

Intel vs Apple Silicon is highly unlikely to change the contents of a zip file. Someone may be hiding it from view but it's very likely the file is there. I don't use VM's on my M1 mini so I can't tell you what will work. Sounds like a problem for Parallel's tech support.

I have an ARM MacBook Pro M1 that I run Parallels on. In Win 11 ARM edition I have the simplicity suite/pc controller working and no issue with my Z Wave stick (Aeotec) I have Parallels display the pop up when a device is connected and always choose to connect that directly to Windows.

1 Like

Did you install any drivers after installing Simplicity?

I don’t have the Aeotec just the Homeseer and Simplicity Zsticks but I would not expect any difference.

If the stick route doesn't work, try these instructions.

[GUIDE] How to update Leviton z-wave firmware - :bellhop_bell: Get Help / Devices - Hubitat

Well I installed the aeotec drivers and the Silicon Lab stick showed up in Simplicity. Now to try some updates. Thanks for your help.

1 Like