Z stick and removing ghost nodes

Now that I am getting less dangerous with the Zooz Z-Stick, I found quite a lot of ghost nodes so I removed one as a test in case I did it wrong.

Here us a partial list of my ghost nodes.

I removed 0x19 from the list in PC Controller.

It is no longer on this list, and even after selecting update in PC Controller and rebooting the HE hub, 0x19is still in the Z-Wave details list in the app.

Nothing I have read mentions how to remove a ghost node in the HE app when it is not in PC Controller.

Did you remove power from the hub at the wall? 30-45 seconds should be enough to clear the zwave cache.

2 Likes

Shut it down from the settings page first to avoid corruption

Details, details… :sunglasses: But yes you should do a shutdown first.

1 Like

Also make sure you are attempting to remove ID "25" in the PCS not "19" as it's in decimal on the device list in PCS not hex.. sorry I know it's probably very obvious but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

These might be dumb questions, but I've never had to use a Z-stick, so...

I assume you use them with a computer, correct? If so, is it possible to use a Mac?

I've gotten rid of my Windows machines and don't miss them.
Thanks in advance for the info.

Yes, if you have an Intel Mac. Just use Bootcamp. Works fine for Windows 10.

Either with bootcamp or parallels

I powered down the hub then disconnected it for about 10 minutes.

:roll_eyes: obvious to some. You hit it on the head. Now to find what 19 was that I removed.

2 Likes

Oh man have sooo been there!!!

I should have been more clear. M1 Mac . I'd say the answer is, "Nope".

You can run it on parallels (windows 10 or 11) on the m1 (windows has an arm version) You can run it for 180 days without licence

1 Like

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I could do that, but it seems unnecessarily complicated for the z-wave folks to require a consumer to use such a complicated solution. It can't be that tough to build a solution that works on something as widely adopted as Macs, but these manufacturers just choose not to do it. I've run Parallels in the past, and it was a headache.

My system works well, and if I have a ghost node or two it's not going to be a huge deal. Going forward, I think I'll just keep building out the Lutron Caseta side of things. Simple and "just works" are my watchwords now. But I do appreciate the info, if not the unfortunate answer.

There are two ghost nodes that refuse to be deleted. 83 and 84

I have selected update on PC Controller, shut down then disconnected the hub from power for 10 minutes. When I select ‘Remove Failed’ I get an error message in PC Controller ‘remove failed node failed’ with a timestamp.

83 is not in the list of devices, but what HE states is 84 is actually a contact sensor on the front door, not a ‘SPECIFIC_TYPE_POWER_SWITCH_BINARY’

Um, remember that this is Silicon Labs.

Yep. Except for a bunch of GE/Jasco Smart Motion Switches and Dimmers, all my lights are Lutron Caseta or Hue (on the Hue Hub).

Can you elaborate?

Well, it took them two years to even admit that there was a problem with the Z-Wave radio firmware. Z-Wave is a Silicon Labs captive creature. In my opinion, all (or almost all) of the C-7 Z-Wave issues are due to Silicon Labs firmware issues on the radio. Bryan Copeland (@bcopeland) has done a heroic job getting it to work as well as he has.

Yes it is. I would get rid of them.

1 Like

I would add to that list the very ironically named "Simplicity Studio" which is anything but simplistic. In fact I don't think they could have made it worse to use if they tried.

2 Likes

Is this coming from using the stick? One option may be to power down and unplug the hub for 5 mins and power it back up. Otherwise you should be able to mark them dead in the silabs software