You think your power is stable .. Until It's not

That's a neat little UPS. I run all my 2x Servers, BackUp NAS, HA and Comms gear from a 1500VA (900W) Eaton UPS and have it configured to remote shutdown all my gear after 7 mins of no power and the UPS 3 minutes after that.

1 Like

Wow, you can buy a 500-600W (~1000VA) unit for that price!

Man look at all the plugs!

1 Like

I have another in my daughters room but she's in n bed.

2 Likes

I'm doing pretty much the same with my 900W. With pretty much the same remote shutdown settings. Hubitat running on it's own little UPS though because I figured in a rack in the basement probably wasn't the best location.

1 Like

@neonturbo That's not what I paid for mine, but the point isn't the wattage it will output, but the length of time it will run. It's designed to keep a network up for hours. It's added benefit is you can swap out the batteries easily, or take one with you for portable charging. If I'm home and the battery actually dies, I have spares I can easily just slide in. It's kinda slick, but an older model at this point.

Lots of toys :smiley:

I need to get a proper power rail and tidy it all up.

all in roughly 28 bucks just saying...

1 Like

I'm a cheap bastid and can't help sharing my solution

1 Like

I have 2 off these and they work brilliantly. Really nice cheap solution for 2-3 hrs running.

Hmmm, sketchy cheap Chinese batteries, I'll pass!

1 Like

That is pretty nice and it's easy to get a good quality battery for it.

I use two APC UPS units, each with an additional external battery pack. It provides power to my cable modem, router, switches, C-5, Lutron & Hue bridges, Nortel phone system, water softener, security cameras, a ceiling light on the main floor and another in the basement, Hue strip lights around the base of the kitchen cabinets, the main water shutoff valve, water pressure relief valve and one Echo Dot. Load is about 5% on each UPS with several hours of estimated runtime. Put a few bucks into it, along with all the necessary wiring, but I feel very confident about this as a solution.

This is far from a Mini-UPS solution, but ensures a significant level of overall operation in a power failure.

2 Likes

I observed 8 hours, with about 100 devices, and a genuine panasonic 3500 mAh battery, got concerned at 8 hours, and quit the test. And that number certainly can vary with # of rules/devices needing processing.

1 Like

Yup.

The price on aliexpress doesn’t include the amount of your homeowner’s insurance deductible, which you’ll have to pay if your house burns down before the insurance co covers the rest.

2 Likes

I suspect it's the same unit Konnected sells and I wouldn't
leap to the conclusion its some how unsafe. it might be but it might not be none of us have seen it

When buying a no-name device (that has the potential to explode) from an online retailer directly from China, it seems safer to assume it’s unsafe, rather than assume the opposite.

1 Like

Look at all those floppy disks :joy:. Bet there is Windows 3.1 or 95 disks in there somewhere.

2 Likes

Lol, yeah I have a bout 800 disks all up ... including DOS 2.11 for my Tandy 1000 EX. I also have a metric ton of C64, Amiga, Apple II and Macintosh disks for my ~14 vintage computers.

1 Like

I have my media server and all networking equipment on a APC BB and then use a POE USB adapter to power the HE hub, this way it does not need to be in the basement. Plus I can kill power to the port remotely if for whatever reason I need to power it down completely.