You think your power is stable .. Until It's not

I just wanted to make a quick mention about something that happened today. A few months ago, we had a power loss. First one in 2 years. Totally messed with my mesh HUB. So, I got to thinking that I should add a battery backup to protect my two hubs and began an inquiry here.

I got some great replies and ended up buying the battery backup and step down converters that @gavincampbell recommended. I have to say that it's been running great! I've been meaning to test this, but couldn't find the time to dedicate keeping an eye on it lately.

Jump forward to today. Contractor at my house doing siding. Yah ... Guess what ... He took the meter off the house and put us in the dark without warning. But guess what? Hubs stayed on line. So, even if you think it can't happen ... Murphy will visit.

Just a shoutout to @gavincampbell. You were my hero today.

9 Likes

Weather in Houston gets crappy and we loose power intermittently pretty frequently. I have UPS's all over the house. I should just spring for a Tesla battery.

2 Likes

Yep, I just replaced one in the basement rack for a beefier one. Not enough time to deal with a corrupt event that's completely preventable.

I saw that @Nate over at Konnected.io was selling some lithium ion batteries for his konnected boards. I wonder if something like that would be viable for Hubitat. https://konnected.io/collections/shop-now/products/backup-battery

1 Like

The USB port would work as HE needs 5V 1A. The Barrel connector is 12V though so would need a step down converter if you wanted additional 5V devices connected.

Specifications:

Input voltage: 12V - 12.7V DC
DC port output voltage / current: 12V DC / 2.5A max
USB port output voltage / current: 5V DC / 2.1A max
Battery capacity: 7800mAh
Charging time: 8 hours
DC input port: 2.1mm ID / 5.5mm OD
DC output port: 2.5mm ID / 5.5mm OD
Operating temperature: -20°C to 45°C
Dimensions: 130mm x 68mm x 26mm
Country of origin: China

Edit: If planning to get take note that the power adapter is not included.

2 Likes

I'll probably pick one up then and move it out of the network closet and back on top of the fridge. I moved it so I could keep it on a UPS.

2 Likes

Yea, I have a bunch laying around here.

1 Like

Which step down converters did you get?

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-DROK-Regulator-Inverter-Transformer/dp/B01NALDSJ0

12V to 5V Step-Down Converter

1 Like

ahkay that's what I thought you got. Just wanted to make sure before I ordered one. They'll handle two 5v devices then?
Do you happen to know where I can get additional barrel connectors? Well, really, what size do I need?

@april.brandt Since you have two C4 hubs you would want two USB to DC 5.5 x 2.1mm cables. Also one 5.5 x 2.1mm male to male cable to go from your Talentcell 12v port to the step down converter. I believe the Talentcell may have came with the 5.1 x 2.1mm cable, but I can't remember 100%.

Edit: Thinking it through, the Talentcell unit that you purchased had a usb port so you could buy just one of the USB to DC 5.5 x 2.1mm cables. They are cheap though and then you have an extra usb port when needed.

2 Likes

Thanks! I appreciate it.

1 Like

Your welcome! Glad to help!

1 Like

Personally, I use this. It has a low total output (maybe like 50 watts)- enough to run a router, but easily enough to keep my hub and a network switch running for hours.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JHYQNC/ref=twister_B00QAJNO62?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That's a neat little UPS. I run all my 2x Servers, BackUp NAS, HA and Comms gear from a 1500VA (900W) Eaton UPS and have it configured to remote shutdown all my gear after 7 mins of no power and the UPS 3 minutes after that.

1 Like

Wow, you can buy a 500-600W (~1000VA) unit for that price!

Man look at all the plugs!

1 Like

I have another in my daughters room but she's in n bed.

2 Likes

I'm doing pretty much the same with my 900W. With pretty much the same remote shutdown settings. Hubitat running on it's own little UPS though because I figured in a rack in the basement probably wasn't the best location.

1 Like