Yet another multiple hub / hub mesh question

So I happen to have a few hubs and I'm wondering if there is advantage to using them with hub mesh. Maybe something along the lines of all devices on one hub and apps on the other to split the load? No interest in running multiple ZigBee/Z-Wave meshes but thinking what could (or needs) to be done performance wise.

How would I even go about moving my apps to another hub without having to recreate all the rules, settings, etc?

First you would need to share all devices on source hub in hub mesh. Then you could restore a backup on the new hub. Then add all the devices to the new hub via hub mesh. Then go through all the rules and change to the hub mesh device. Then delete the devices that came via backup restore leaving only the hub mesh devices and any virtual devices you need for rules.

1 Like

If you are just going to run them side by side then I would say it's not worth it - sure maybe some resource savings but probably too complicated to maintain and you might start running into interference.

A better idea would be to split the hubs up by location. Attach devices nearest to each hub and keep as much of the rules you have local (to each hub, I mean). Use Hub Mesh for rules that span the hubs. If you have a 3rd hub then you could use that for your cloud stuff.. This will also give you some resiliency in case of hub failure etc...

I have 3 hubs in operation - C-7 for Z-Wave, C-5 for Zigbee and another C-5 for Network/cloud apps/devices. I've also done it by location - one in the basement and on our second floor.. and that worked really well too. Only changed up after the C-7 came out.. and one of my hubs, a C-4, died.

Not thinking of moving devices, just move apps off the current hub to the second. That why cloud based apps don't put pressure on the main

Is there any way to avoid having to go through all apps/rules and pick a different device? Was looking for a more seamless way

Unless a hub has high CPU use alert, I'd skip that. It introduces failure points and provides no real advantages to running automations on a single hub.

That's a good use case, yes.

There is app export/import/clone function, which allows app exporting into a file and importing it on another hub while replacing devices. Click on the cog next to app name to bring up a page with export/import/clone button.

1 Like

Great point and I agree with you but...
I have always suspected that I'm hammering the scheduler (as I've been told by @bobbyD in the past) with my SimpliSafe alarm integration which makes a few http gets every minute. My thought was to split out the cloud based apps to reduce any load or contention that's I've seen where sporadically schedule based events are missed

Sure, give it a shot. You probably thinking this already... start with a smallest bit of logic possible, and see how it works first.

Also, if you encounter those missed schedule events, please PM me your hub id, and I can look for clues in the engineering logs. No promises, but it could be something simple that I never encountered in testing and therefore didn't account for in the code.

Since I split out a number of hubs this way, I have a piece of advice (which I learnt the hard way).

If you have a hub which has the devices and a 2nd hub which has the hub mesh version of those devices, you must check if those devices are still active on the ORIGINAL (first) hub, not the hub that has the hub mesh version of those devices.
Why?
If you look at the Device Event page, on the Hub Mesh version, you will find many events that look like "Hub Mesh Enabled/Disabled". Those events can confuse your device check app (Device Watchdog, Device Activity check, etc.)

Yeah, those... reboot a hub, get a pair of these, guaranteed. Router decides to take a coffee break, same thing. An unstable network connection in particular can generate a lot of these messages.

1 Like

Yup,
It's a mistake to assume that those message mean that the device is still active.
(Which I have found out the hard way.)