Yet another ceiling fan thread

Interesting. I have not had that problem. I have 2 fans on one switch and they both seem to work fine on the intermediate modes.

@Roguetech I used to have a virtual switch I used in order to pause the piston if I wanted to override and run the fans at a manual speed, however I found I rarely, if ever, used it. I suppose you could also have the piston only run on programmatic changes and not physical ones.

For the RF control option, would it ever be possible to add a hardware expansion module to Hubitat that is similar to what the Bond does (without adding yet another hub)?

I see a number of available ports on the Hubitat, so it appears expansion was a consideration. It wouldn't provide two-way communication to report status, but it would open up the ability to control existing RF devices without a lot of rewiring. I'm probably crazy but wanted to throw the idea out there anyway. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In ten characters: No.

Is this the Hampton Bay Zigbee fan controller to which you're referring?

Home Depot - Hampton Bay Wink Enabled Ceiling Fan Control

Looks like a good option, but I wanted to make sure before I make the purchase.

Yes, that works with Hubitat.

1 Like

There’s a better explanation for why those additional unused ports are on the hub.

1 Like

Thinking of purchasing the Hampton Bay fan controller. How does the driver show up in HE? Are there separate child devices for the light and fan to control separately?

Does the light support dimming? I see there is a dip switch on the canopy module.

Yes, it will show up as the "parent" device with two child devices, one each for the light and fan. On the Hampton Bay remote itself, as you noted, you can set whether your bulb/fixture supports dimming or just on/off, with the default being the latter. (I actually don't know know how ZigBee control handles this since I'm not sure it's aware of how the remote is set and there's nothing for this on the canopy unit itself. I have Hue bulbs and so this is disabled on my remote, though I never intentionally switch--much less [presumably disastrously] attempt to dim--the bulbs at all.)

1 Like

Is the Hampton bay still the best option for fan control in my case where I have 2 rooms each has a single gang wall control with a dimmer and fan speed control in 1? I know Lutron has options but I do not have a Lutron bridge, so that is out. The Hampton Bay does get pricey when you add the wall controls though, and I like still having the wall controls.

This is basically what I have now. Although mine does not have that bottom third switch.

Choices!! you have choices.

Remove that switch and cap off the ends. Put the Hampton Bay zigbee controller in your canopy.

Buy a Lutron Pro Bridge and mount a Pico over the hole in your wall. Program the Pico to turn on/off the light (Top/Bottom buttons) and use the other 3 for the Fan.

Once you try the Hubitat / Lutron integration, you'll wonder why you didn't buy it earlier. You will find yourself on Amazon/Ebay looking for Picos in quantity. :smiley:

Another variant on the same is something like this mocked up image. It uses a GE Smart Fan Controller, a Qubino FlushRelay (not shown) and the same Pico:

fanPair

The Qubino sits deep in the box and controls the Light wire. The Fan Switch, controlsl the fan wire (duh!) and the Pico shows off it's major feature in that it flush mounts on the wall to the same thickness as all regular wall plates! IT will end up looking like a 2 gang box is there. (The image shows the single gang cover plate, but you'd actually use the 2 gang.)

End result, looking similar to this:

29%20PM

The Pico is removable, it'll slide right out of that holder.

In case it's not abundantly clear, here's another pic with the Pico going on the other side.

01%20PM

2 Likes

Z-Wave and Pico is one I've been considering for when I care about ceiling fans again. I've abandoned the idea of the iFan02 controller. They turned into Halloween display controllers :smiley:

I don't particularly want the Z-Wave switches in my wall, so I think the Pico on my wall and maybe the Z-Wave switch tucked away in the canopy (if it'll fit), with smart bulbs for the lighting is looking like a decent option. I won't do the Hampton Bay Zigbee. Sounds like a pain in the neck.

I (personally) would stay away from a smart bulb because they never seem to have the same bulb socket. In other words, I would like a more cookie cutter approach. Independent of the fan du jour, I'd buy and wire them up the same. I have 3 that use candelabra base for the light(s) (each takes two) and others that have 3 "exposed" bulbs.

The Picos are nice and I would have went this route if I had not already have invested too much into Z-Wave plus dimmers. Basically my entire house has been converted to Leviton Z-Wave plus dimmers at this point, so while there would be some use cases for the Pico's it would be minimal and then buying a Lutron bridge would probably be overkill. I really do not even need additional 3-ways to justify more Pico's, I use mostly all motion lighting at this point.

I was also trying to avoid having to remove the existing 1 gang box and install a 2 gang.

I think that's the point I was trying to make... the Pico is flush mount. No hole in the wall. No need to replace a 1 gang with a 2 gang. I just use Command sticky tape to mount the Pico adapter.

Not that bright, but you have TrĂĄdfri bulbs with that base, and they're inexpensive (but only 400 lm). Also, when you have the room and it's not exposed, don't forget about the myriad of socket adapters you can get from China. I have one in the the lamp right next to me converting an E26 socket to a E12 .
I also ordered some E26 to GU10 adapters.

True but then I would still need to buy the bridge, which I probably would use for mostly fan control at the moment. I have 2 rooms that have the dual dimmer/fan speed combo's and the other two are just a single on/off wall switch, these are fan/light combos.

These are all bedrooms also, no fans in other parts of the house.

Adapters!! :slight_smile:
I just went and googled ceiling fans and there's every conceivable bulb in use. I can't imagine my wife letting me restrict the fan by what type of smart bulb is available :frowning:

The Qubino is a better answer for ME... coupled to ANY bulb.

Oh @raidflex you haven't lived if you haven't stuck a Pico to the middle of your headboard. 10 virtual buttons right there, inches from your sleepy head. :smiley: :smiley: (Joking in case it wasn't obvious.)

1 Like

Anything dimmable has to be smart or incandescent for me now. I'm done with trying to match bulbs to dimmers and avoid high pitched ringing, buzzing or flickering.

I'm also the type that with modify the fan socket to suite me if they don't offer what I need. If it's not feasible, well there are just too many ceiling fans out there for me to get hung up on a specific brand or model.

No, I know there are a lot of uses. I did like the setup that @mike.maxwell uses with the Aeon micro's and Pico's mounted to all the switch boxes. Aside from if the hub goes down you cant use any lights lol.