Yale zwave lock - switch to hubitat after new zwave module?

Oh wow - moving the repeater and doing zwave repair seems to have fixed the delay - now it's pretty much instant! Thanks all!

3 Likes

I know it seems counter-intuitive that moving a repeater closer to the hub will make a target device work better, but I've seen that happen in my house and a couple others. My general recommendation now is to place repeaters approximately 1/3rd the distance from the hub and the device in question.

I think I first got that piece of advice from @bobbyD.

2 Likes

When you think that a Z-Wave device has limited number of hops it can make to reach the controller, it might make more sense that it will try to use the furthest repeater within its range that is closest to the controller.

2 Likes

Yup it IS counterintuitive - but lots of true things are. :wink: Thank you again for the help.

By the way, if you want to send a notification based on a lock event - eg "Michael unlocked the lock" - what's the best way to do that? Presumably IFTTT to send the SMS . And a Rules Machine rule to watch for specific text in the events for the lock?

1 Like

Does it have to be SMS? Or can you use Pushover or just the Hubitat app?

Yes, I suppose viewed from the perspective of the device (rather than the controller) that makes more sense. I know nothing about how the routing actually gets established. That's a shame that my device can't show the map.

Can any second controller be used for that purpose? I have the Leviton Vizia RF set up I was using before - USB installer stick and serial controller module. Probably not worth a lot of effort but it would be very interesting to see how the routing worked.

I'm not sure. I have used ZWave Toolbox and PC Controller with a USB z-wave+ stick for this purpose.

1 Like

Oh sure - that would be better! I'm used to using SMS with my existing automation software (home control assistant). Haven't done much with the hubitat app, so if it has native notifications that work well, that would be fine

I do my notifications somewhat differently, so I'll let others take the lead here. There is a built-in integration for Pushover. The experts on its use are @ritchierich and @ogiewon.

This link from the documentation may be helpful:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Notifications

2 Likes

Ok - new "issue" - or at least, not working how I would expect. Looking at events for the lock device- it reports the user name when unlocked from keypad, but when it's locked from the keypad, it just reports "locked from keypad" - ie no user name. (Same user both times).
Is this expected behavior?

If you're not inputting a code to lock it, then it won't know what user locked it

No I am - it's not locking automatically . I have it set to only lock with a code, but user is not being reported.

I use both Pushover and SMS via Twilio. Pushover is for most things and for more important notifications like leaks or power outages I also use SMS so I can have a separate notification. There is a stock driver for Twilio based one one I created in early 2018 but I have a community version published that has additional features including voice capabilities where you can receive a voice call as an additional option.

I also published a Plivo driver which is very similar to Twilio but their service is a bit cheaper.

Both drivers are in HPM.

Hi - Thanks much - not familiar with either Twilio or Plivo. I take it these are ways of sending an SMS message. Are they preferable to IFTTT ?

While you may not recognize these company names, you have received SMS from them as they provide communication services to many large companies like banks and Uber.

Yes both solutions are capable of sending SMS and voice. There is a cost with both but it’s not that expensive. I have links to their pricing in these threads.

IFTTT likely uses Twilio or Plivo as the backend. I prefer a direct integration vs having another point of failure (IFTTT).

3 Likes

@rlithgow1 Even when the lock is locked with a code (which in my case is the only way it can be locked), it doesn't report the user. Does that suggest this is the way the driver is coded? If that's the case, how would I request a driver revision to support reporting user on unlock as well as lock?

Interesting. My Yale Assure SL locks can be locked without inputting a code.

P.S. I would submit a feature request for what you'd like added to that driver. Also tagging @bcopeland.

1 Like

Yes this is a preference setting - at least on my older Yale Real living lock - you can allow locking by just touching the keypad, but I have that disabled to make sure anyone who locks it knows their keycode to get back in!

1 Like

I set up a notification using the Hubitat App, which works fine - but it sends a notification whenever someone locks or unlocks from inside. THis generates a lot of notifications. I couldn't find a way to set a condition in notifier so I tried rule machine. However, the closest I could come in Rule Machine was a condition using a custom attribute. If the device was reporting user name for all keypad events (per my other question), I could set a condition that one of the user names was present - but right now that won't work. What I need to do is look for the word "keypad" in the event text. But I don't see a way to set a condition on a variable such as %text%. Is that in there somewhere?

1 Like

You could use event engine from HPM for that