Yale zwave lock - switch to hubitat after new zwave module?

Hi - I have a Yale read living lock with a zwave module (the older translucent green variety - not the new Assure type). I have been controlling it via a leviton zwave controller/network via my home automation software. It suddenly stopped responding or reporting so I'm assume the zwave module died. I've gotten a new one and figured this might be a good time to switch to hubitat control.
The lock is still programmed with user codes and other settings - but it's a brand new zwave module. It's unclear to me if the module maintains the "identity" or if it's just the interface. In other words - is the lock still included in the old network and therefore won't be available to hubitat without excluding it and resetting? Or does replacing the module essentially create a new device identity as far as zwave is concerned?

Thanks!

You should just be able to include it. Use generic z-wave lock driver and then save, then configure, then get codes... Then install Lock Code Manager

2 Likes

Always best to exclude before attempting an include, but in theory a new Zwave module should be ready to include directly from the package. As for the lock codes, you may need to reset those if you intend to use the Lock Code Manager.

1 Like

Thanks - I already have Lock Code manager installed but haven't done anything with it. Should I remove before the include and then re-install?
Also - is Reliable locks app an alternative to Lock Code Manager or does it complement it?
My current set up allows me to look for and interpret any codes from the lock as well as send any desired codes to the lock - I have a list of most of the zwave commands the lock uses. Do any of the apps allow you to take advantage of arbitrary zwave commands?

1 Like

In this case, I think it might be possible to pull the codes with the new module as @rlithgow1 suggested. I know someone who pulled the codes when switching a Yale Assure lock from their homekit module to their zigbee module.

2 Likes

Different function - it resends lock/unlock commands until there is confirmation the lock has received the command.. And if you have a solid z-wave mesh, you may not need Reliable Locks.

1 Like

Okay - fairly good results! Was able to include the lock and retrieve codes. Using Lock Code Manager I was able to create user names and assign the existing codes to those users.
However, locking and unlocking it is VERY slow - takes about a full minute for the lock to respond! (Previously using my Leviton controller it was pretty much instantaneous). I do have an Aeotec repeater about 10 ft from the lock. The hub is one floor down - pretty much right under that repeater. (That was the positioning when I did the include and it worked right away).

1 Like

If you have a C-7, can you post screenshots of your z-wave settings page? It will be interesting to see how the lock is connected to the hub. It may not be using your Aeotec repeater.

Also, in my limited z-wave experience, repeaters work best when placed closer to the hub than the end device (about 1/3rd the distance from the hub to the device).

I have a C5 - is that an issue? Not clear to me what has changed in the hub hardware.

Post your z-wave details page anyway. We're looking for lack of clusters on that.

Is this the info?

Also I moved a repeater from top floor of house to close to the hub per aayar's suggestion. So now, one repeater near hub, second repeater first floor, about 10 ft from lock. Nothing on second floor now though , where I have a few zwave switches.

Should not be. It is just that the C-7 has newer z-wave hardware and a new z-wave stack that displays the route taken from the hub to any device. These routes are not displayed with the C-5, so the information on the z-wave settings page is of less utility. With the C-5, you need an external secondary controller to display those routes.

Paste your whole z-wave page not just the lock

Hi - thanks for looking .
I ran a zwave repair after moving the repeater.

1 Like

Oh wow - moving the repeater and doing zwave repair seems to have fixed the delay - now it's pretty much instant! Thanks all!

3 Likes

I know it seems counter-intuitive that moving a repeater closer to the hub will make a target device work better, but I've seen that happen in my house and a couple others. My general recommendation now is to place repeaters approximately 1/3rd the distance from the hub and the device in question.

I think I first got that piece of advice from @bobbyD.

2 Likes

When you think that a Z-Wave device has limited number of hops it can make to reach the controller, it might make more sense that it will try to use the furthest repeater within its range that is closest to the controller.

2 Likes

Yup it IS counterintuitive - but lots of true things are. :wink: Thank you again for the help.

By the way, if you want to send a notification based on a lock event - eg "Michael unlocked the lock" - what's the best way to do that? Presumably IFTTT to send the SMS . And a Rules Machine rule to watch for specific text in the events for the lock?

1 Like

Does it have to be SMS? Or can you use Pushover or just the Hubitat app?

Yes, I suppose viewed from the perspective of the device (rather than the controller) that makes more sense. I know nothing about how the routing actually gets established. That's a shame that my device can't show the map.

Can any second controller be used for that purpose? I have the Leviton Vizia RF set up I was using before - USB installer stick and serial controller module. Probably not worth a lot of effort but it would be very interesting to see how the routing worked.