Yale YRL256 Connected by August

I've read up on Yale/August locks, but I haven't seen anyone talking about the "Connected by August" versions. These appeal to me because of the added features like virtual keys/codes for different users (e.g. housekeeper) set on a schedule, and unlock automatically via Bluetooth. If I'm reading correctly, temporary/scheduled codes are not really ideal on the non-cloud versions because they require erasing and rewriting codes each time.

I was looking at this one, or maybe just the YRD226: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NC6TNXZ

Is the Connected by August version still able to integrate with Hubitat? Like, can I control lock/unlock and see status? I would prefer to just set it up once with the August app and never open the app again.

I want to be able to control it through Google Home, but also use it in some RM automations. Maybe through IFTTT?

I saw @SmartHomePrimer talks to his through Google Assistant Relay, but I don't plan to set that up. I wasn't sure if better integrations exist now or not.

1 Like

I wouldn't suggest intentionally buying a lock with the idea of using Google Assistant Relay for control. Not that I don't trust the setup. It works for sure, but it's a means to an end. What I mean by that is, it's a cloud based scenario, but it allows me to use the August Lock I already own without having to buy a new lock. But it is on my back door, so usage is low other than the automatic locking when we turn in for the night. The fact that it is cloud based alone increases the potential for an outage that would affect operation. Or Google might decide (and they have a long history of this) to discontinue that capability at any time.

Hubitat doesn't support Bluetooth devices, so you would need a WiFi bridge and there is not a direct driver available for the August WiFi bridge. August (now Assa Abloy owned) don't allow anyone to interface with their bridge directly. It always goes to their cloud server.

Buy either a Yale Z-Wave Plus or Yale Zigbee lock. I own the Yale YRD256 Z-Wave version and it is very reliable. I've had no issues at all with it. Some have had issues with certain Yale Z-Wave locks, so you may wish to instead purchase the Zigbee version.

Same here.. I have two of these and they have been very reliable in my setup.

1 Like

Yeah, but then I don't get the auto-unlock or temp code functionality.

You can use Lock Code Manager to assign codes that expire. There are other ways to get the lock to auto-unlock, such as using Life360 or the actual HE app as presence devices.

1 Like

The auto-unlock feature on my August lock was awesome when it worked. More then half the time it did not. Everyone in the family vented at one time or another about the lock not auto-unlocking when it should have.

This is the method I use with HE now and my YRD256.

It works without fail everyday. I anticipated that at least once, I would have to manually enter the code on the keypad, because it would fail like I was used to with the August lock. However, so far it has not failed once. Not only does it work every time, but the extra measures I've put in prevent it from unlocking the door when we're at home, or automatically unlocking just moments after we arrive and lock the door behind us (a problem the August also exhibited from time to time).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.