Yale YRD256 ZWave lock won't include

Any suggestions? I put the lock in join network mode and then initiate Include on the Hub. The Hub times out - paring mode on lock doesn't last very long so I redo. I have shutdown, pulled plug, and restarted Hub several times. The lock is new. I moved the Hub to within 3 ft of the lock.

Could you supply the ancillary information, please: Hub Type (C5, C7, C8) and the Platform version?

I have two Yale locks and they joined quite easily as well as moved from hub to hub over the years. That just means it SHOULD work well and the problem probably lies elsewhere, unless you have the wrong region module in the lock.

I'd start with Ghosts. If you've been including and including and not completing, each of those could have created a partial device. It's incomplete and we refer to them as ghosts. Those need to be cleaned up because they can lead to hub slowness as it waits and waits for devices that will never respond. You can paste in your Zwave Details page and we can review it with you.

Power cycling is a good attempt to get the Z-Radios back if they have gotten 'stuck' and so we can eliminate that troubleshooting step. You'll often see "Zwave busy" messages in the logs to indicate the need for a power cycle.

I'd really suggest using Exclude as the first step. It cannot create ghosts and that saves a lot of time. If the hub and lock cannot communicate, then exclude won't work either and youget the same knowledge without the ghost potential.

Make sure you are including with security. (I'm not sure if that lock is S0 or S2,) If you try to include without security it will error out in a way that may not be obvious.

I would do a 30 sec remove power to 'reset' the radio, as mentioned above.

Hub is C8 Platform 2.3.8.134. I tried Exclude but it didn't find anything. The ZWave log is empty.

How do I Include with security? There don't seem to be any options for that.

With locks, you must include with security and there may not be an actual popup asking.. but if there is one and you click none/no security, the lock will not function.

You have no devices showing in your ZWave Details image, the lock is your first (and only) device?

If you are intending to add additional devices, I'd suggest starting with them, powered first and leave battery devices to the end, and your lock is a battery device. As important, locks use FLiRs for reliability and to extend battery life and that relies on their being a nearby AC powered device. It's not mandatory, but the wake time of locks is intentionally very short. FLiRs buffers the lock and hub's attention so they don't miss each other.

The lock is my only ZWave device. I tried a 30 minute shutdown - no improvement. I tried to see if there was a browser pop-up blocker that might interfere. I assume you wouldn't get the pop-up until the device was detected. Not sure what else to try.

What would I use as a FLiR? Does the Hub work that way if it is nearby?

Locks are "special" because they are (basically) battery operated motors driving the bolt into the door jamb. Even the tiniest friction can affect battery life. We want the locks to be very responsive too. That means the radio has to be actively listening so the lock will react at human speeds. Radios are also going to affect battery life. The solution was to reduce the active radio time to just a sliver of 'normal' so that they are off (not listening) most of the time.

The lock wakes and sends a "got anything for me?" message, listens for a fraction of a second and shuts down. The hub will receive that message and respond with "yes, I do have something for you" but if the lock has already stopped listening, it will miss. You will see this as the lock not working reliably. eg; "When it works it works great, but half the time it doesn't work and I have to tell it over and over."

The answer was the development of FLiRs which has the hub assigning an ac powered device with Beaming Capability (and anything in the past 4 years has that already) to react to the lock when it's awake. When the hub wants to start sending a message to the lock, it sends a "wake" message and the assigned beaming device detects that. If the lock doesn't instantly respond, the beaming device will wait for the lock to wake and instantly tell the lock "yea, the hub wants to talk to you" and that causes the lock to stay awake longer.

Do you need a beaming device? No, but you have to be willing to live with the occasional "click twice" possibility. If you are just starting out, it's not going to be too bad. The hub is not going to be busy talking to other devices and not hear the lock instantly. You basically have a hub dedicated to a lock and they should work most of the time.

When you run Exclude, you should start that on the hub, and then tap the lock to get it to start Include. Yes, exclude on the hub, include on the lock. For Yake, if the lock thinks it's been included, it will offer you only exclude and you accept that.

1 Like

I am making progress. I looked at the Yale site online and I wasn't putting the lock in Inclusion mode properly. I put the lock in Inclusion mode and then hit Manually Include on the Hub. I think maybe I should have only done the lock part? Now I have a ZWave entry, but no device shows. How can I delete what I did so I can start over?

Yep... that's where Exclude before Include shines. No Exclude, probably means the device isn't being clicked properly.

Refresh that page.. see if a "Discover" button appears in the Device column. If so, click it and put the lock back into Include to allow it to finish. If not, pull the batteries from the lock, wait 3-5 mins and click Refresh in the Actions column. A Repair button and a Remove button will appear. Click Remove.

Now you are ready to start over.

1 Like

I was able to remove the ghosts.

When I set the lock to Include, nothing happens on the Hub

When I set the lock to Include and set the Hub to Manual Include, it finds the device right away, but times out without completing setup. A new ghost results.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

I re-read this and will try the Discover option

You are selecting security for the include correct?
Then it should take you to a page asking for the DSK, are you putting that in correctly?

You should also have a QR code on the device somewhere, I forget where it is exactly. But that can be used to include it via Smart Start. I would highly recommend using that instead of manual inclusion since you are having trouble. Smart Start docs: Z-Wave Manual | Hubitat Documentation .

Smart Start is basically automatic inclusion.

Sorry none of that applies since this device is 500 series S0 only. Does not use a DSK or Smart Start.

I can't find a QR code or DSK. I sent an e-mail to Yale Support asking for help.

I don't get any option to select security

I guess the security option does not show up until after the hub finds the device, but as soon as it does you get a prompt if you want to include with security or not. One of your screenshots shows it attempted S0 secure pairing.

Sorry I was getting mixed up, I do not think S0 uses the DSK, so that you would not have been asked for but for sure it would have asked security or no security. You MUST select security. Sorry S0 also uses security without asking, forgot that as well!

I have a YRD256-ZW2 that is not that old. Mine is paired with S0 security, no problem.

Were you able to remove all the ghost nodes again?
Since this is your only Z-Wave device you could also just reset the Z-Wave radio if nothing else is paired.

Once you have a clean Z-Wave details (no ghost nodes) I would recommend the following:

• Shut down hub and unplug for 30 seconds before plugging back in
  • Wait a few minutes for hub to be fully booted
  • Go to z-wave details and start z-wave EXCLUSION
  • Put the device into exclusion mode.
  • You should get "Unknown device excluded" on the hub.
  • May want to have logs open in a separate tab to see whats going on for inclusion in next steps
  • IF that works, then go to the devices page and use Add device to start Z-wave Inclusion. (I always start inclusion on the hub first)
  • Then put the device into inclusion mode.
  • Make sure you get back to the hub UI asap, you need to select to include with security. (If device is S0 only, it will use security without asking!)
  • Then you just wait, should include fairly quickly.

No matter what I do, I do not get the option to Include with security. I am not sure what else to do to trigger that option. I will trying putting the hub in inclusion mode first.

Finally got it to work. The last step was to initiate Include on the Hub before initiating Include on the Lock. It never asked about security. For some reason after the device was included, the handness of the lock reversed and had to be corrected. All is well. A lot of hours for a single device, but I am learning. Thanks to all for your help.

2 Likes

I'm guessing the security is "S0"? Which is fine - Yale is being stubborn getting out more modern ZW modules that would enable S2 security, but S0 is completely fine for locks.

Point of asking is that ZW locks must pair with security (S0 or S2), and since your lock can't do S2 (which again, is fine), the pairing simply defaults to S0 - no problem.

Glad you finally got it up & running!

Yes, it setup as S0 without asking

1 Like