Yale YRD216 w/ YRMZW2-US Module

Not specific to Hubitat, I had issues with Wink and had given up but thought I would give it a try again with HE.

Purchased the YRMZW2-US and out of the box, I was able to get it in to Pairing Mode (7#1#), but it would fail. I was able to get in to Pairing mode multiple time, until one point the process took longer that prior attempts and I thought I had gotten it to work. Ala, this was not the case. It never showed up in Wink, and now I could not ever get it to successfully unpair (7#3#) - It goes in to the process, but all I get are error beeps after 20 seconds or so.

Fast forward to Hubitat, I go through the process to unenroll, HE even states that a Generic ZWave Device was unenrolled, but still the same behavior with the lock, 20 seconds go by and error beeps.

I follow the SmartHomePrimer's instructions from another post - Zwave Yale Lock Issues - #10 by Plyr58 - but still cannot get this module to to successfully uneroll or leave uneroll mode. Meaning, 7#1# does nothing. I can only enter 3#.

Anyone run in to this? Suggestions?

How close is the hub to the lock? General rule is to pair devices in place. Locks do not follow this rule and often may need to be paired VERY close to the hub.

Sounds like you were able to do a General Exclusion, but then it sounds like you're trying to Exclude again. Do you enroll, rather than "uneroll" as you wrote?

What you want to try is, after the General Exclusion, factory reset the lock. The the lock read for Z-Wave join, and then put the hub into Inclusion mode. With the lock very close to the hub, put the lock into Z-Wave inclusion mode. If you still cannot join the lock, try shutting the hub down for a minute (shut down, not reboot).

If you get the lock to join, test its operation from the driver while the lock is close to the hub. Then put the lock in place and do a Z-Wave Repair. After about a half hour, try to operate the lock again from the driver. If it still works, then you are probably OK and don't need a Z-Wave repeating device in-between the lock and the hub. If you suddenly cannot control the lock then you need a repeater. Add one and do another Z-Wave repair after joining it to the hub.

Good luck. Hope you find some success with it. If not, and the lock wasn't overly expensive, maybe you can change the module to Zigbee? Not familiar with the lock you're describing. If found that the brand alone doesn't guarantee a good lock that works well. Lots of variables among different models. The YRD256 is my favorite and I also have a YDR246. They use the same module type, so performance of a single protocol like Z-Wave Plus, should be the same between them. The YRD246 I have is HomeKit though (long story), but it works equally as well.

I've tried between 20ft away where the lock "was" installed, to as close as 1ft away after pulling the lock off the door and walking it over to my hub.

Running the exclusion, both by setting the lock in exclusion mode with its button press sequence, and running exclusion from HE start just fine. In HE it states the the unenroll happened. However the lock (or module) while it enters in to exclusion mode eventually sounds its error beeps, not its success beeps.

As such, it appears stuck in believing it is still paired to something that it is not. I am not able to enter in to its Inclusion mode as it will not accept the button sequence (enter Master code, option 7, #, option 1, #. It does not respond to entering 1 (inclusion) - whereas it does 3 (exclusion). This leads me to believe it has nothing at all to do with HE.

The lock came with the house w/out a network module - previous owner - so the cost of the lock is $0 to me. I am only out the cost of the module ($35). I may end up just biting the bullet and buying another Schlage to match my front door (the Yale is garage entry).

Yeah, I think that's wise. Cut your losses. Some locks just are not worth the effort. Even if you get them to eventually play along, they malfunction down the road and are nothing but grief.

Next up is to pull my Schlage from Wink, and put it in to HE. Hopefully that goes more smoothly than the Yale :neutral_face:

Again, it depends. Search the forum. There are a number of Schlage users here. Some success stories and some sob stories. :wink:

Crossing fingers. Thanks for the replies. Assured (non pun intended with Yale) that I was crossing t's and dotting my i's.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.