Yale vs Kiwkset

Looking for a push pad keyed lock that will be used in a commercial setting, so it needs to be reliable. I’ve read that Schlage isn’t consistent and other have better success with Yale or Kiwkset... what’s your experience and input on this?

The two uses will be for a commercial building and a small motel.

Any advice or other brands is appreciated!

In a commercial environment installing consumer grade locks may not stand up to the type of use you are going to expect. Locks that use Z-Wave need to have a Z-Wave repeater that supports beaming for locks to work properly also.

1 Like

I agree - sounds like you want a commercial solution. Definitely a pad with physical buttons as well. The Yale nexTouch stuff might be what you are looking for..

Of course the downside is they are more expensive. Also it looks like you can get them in Z-Wave or Zigbee. I only have experience with consumer grade locks (YRD256) in residential locations and prefer zigbee. Have had less issues with pairing etc.

I have a Kwikset 912 on order so will see how that goes.

The schlage has higher grade security, ansi 1 I think. That said from reading 100's of threads it looks like more people have issues with z-wave locks in general and prefer zigbee.
Personally I have a schlage z-wave (BE469Z) and have had very little trouble. The newest version is z-wave+ but I haven't installed mine yet, and theoretically should be less headache.
The flat screen lock panels tend to degrade in the sun, as opposed to actual buttons, which hold up better.
Oh and welcome to the community.

PS-tons of threads on this. Got a spare day to read them all? :grinning:

2 Likes

Agreed and thank you.

These are small operations, the commercial building is only two retailers and a single family residential upstairs and the motel is only 18 rooms.

It’s hard for the owners (myself and another party) to justify true commercial grade level, which is easily $500+ per door lock vs upper grade residential around $150-200. Especially being that bulk pricing for residential is easily 10+ units but with commercial they want 50+ but I do have some calls out as we are registered builder and do have wholesale accounts.

Thanks for the input!

Yes, we’ve considering both of those.

Do completely agree, physical buttons are the only way to go! The screens won’t handle the Colorado hot, dry direct UV of the sun. Great input and thanks.

I have a call into Yale to see if they make NexTouch in physical buttons. Should have an answer later today.

Yes they do according to the link I posted..

Feature Benefit
Choice of capacitive touchscreen or tactile pushbutton keypad Touchscreen responds to human touch, enabling convenient entrance or access to programming menu. Pushbutton keypad option also available for more tactile requirements, such as glove-friendliness or ADA compliance.
1 Like

Called Yale (ASSA ABLOY) who recommended their Corbin Russwin line and Sargent line but neither is zwave/zigbee only proprietary software and wireless is 2.4 wifi but the person I spoke with was confused. Now to see what kind of bulk pricing I can get with these guys but I'm expecting $350-500/unit.

Thanks @erktrek for pointing out that I got lost in the direct messages part of here. Here is an update for all to see! :wink:

OK, so I had an email with the manager and they are using the "RemoteLock.com" solution for their needs. I've got a meeting with RL rep on Wednesday to discuss their solution and pricing. They also have locks for sale on their site, but being they are using either WiFi or Z-wave, I assume any WiFi/ZW lock will work. So now to find a lock that is near 100% reliable that not $300/lock.

A few items that we are taking into consideration;

1. Battery Usage - Can't be replacing batteries constantly, poor battery usage means, not reliable for retailers or guests. Preferred would be once a year but considering the amount of usage, twice a year would be acceptable but not more. Hence all must have keylocks as backup, especially during power outages.
  2. Frequency Considerations (WiFi, Zigbee, Zwave) - For a retailer that's downtown and surrounded by a lot of other systems, retailers, wifi systems, etc. Wifi and Zigbee could be an issue. Z-wave running on a different frequency would be a better option.
  3. Push Botton - Touchscreens for motel/hotel/resorts that have outside entries, have to use push button as touchscreen will have a short life in direct sunlight, either from heat or UV damage. Push Buttons are the most reliable.
  4. Updatable - With both Zwave announcing their latest zwave 700 and zigbee with their new alliance, no one wants to spend $5,000 on a lock system (20 rooms, plus storages, maintenance, offices, etc is 30 locks, plus hub, plus misc.) and find that their investment is null after 2 years, companies want 5-10 year returns on investment.
  5. What else??

I'm hoping that this help others!!

1 Like

Wanted to followup with my Zigbee Kwikset purchase. This was a replacement for a doorknob lock (no deadbolt).

Pros:

• Nice compact size, Build quality seems decent.
  • Instructions/Assembly was very straightforward.
  • Paired easily as a "Generic Zigbee Lock" and is very responsive.
  • Keypad with physical buttons is very tactile and easy to input. Anticipate it holding up over time.
  • Comes with tool and instructions on how to rekey the physical key which is a helpful.
  • WAF is surprisingly okay - I think she likes the lever vs doorknob as it is easier to open.

Cons:

• There does appear to be duplicate events on lock/unlock - first event reports lock/unlock, second event does same but include "type" - physical/digital. No biggie it works fine.
  • Physical buttons doubled up (5 buttons instead of 10) which saves space but lowers the potential combinations. Recommend using more digits than just 4 for the codes.
  • # of codes the lock can hold is 30 whereas my Yale has 256. I'm not sure why this would be a deal breaker though as 30 is a lot to begin with and you can always swap things in and out using lock manager.

Neutral/Can't comment yet..

• Don't know how battery life is just yet.
  • Not sure how secure the physical key is.

I have the same lock on my mom's door. Works great with the C7 have a Z-Wave wall outlet near it so it can connect to the Z-Wave network.

2 Likes

Battery life has been good on the one I installed Oct. 2019... still going strong on original batteries. Battery life reporting accuracy is quite pessimistic; it has been showing '0' for weeks now after reporting 10% a few months ago. It has been beeping and flashing its keypad in red when remotely unlocked for about 6 months which I assume is a low battery warning (but honestly it has done this for so long it may be the normal behavior... I've forgotten). Still sounds peppy and has never dropped from the mesh. I'm going to let it go until it dies.

1 Like

Okay thats good to know - so far the lock is great. FAF (Family Approval Factor) has been surprisingly high. Wife seems to be using the code rather than the key which is interesting/unexpected.

So now I know what happens when the Kwikset 912 Zigbee batteries really start to die. As of earlier today mine has been running on its original set of batteries since it was installed in October 2019 and has been showing 0% life for a couple of months now. It has been low-battery alert beeping/flashing the keypad red on every unlock for over 6 months, yet otherwise working perfectly.

When it REALLY wants its batteries changed, it beeps repeatedly, then waits about 30 seconds, and beeps again in a repetitive cycle. I only let this play out for a few minutes before giving in and installing a fresh set of AA's. It flashed a bright green light when I stuck the battery cassette in (haven't seen THAT in a long time) and now is blissfully silent when it goes about its business. Was hoping to get 18months out of it but it did pretty well anyway, never missing a beat in all that time.

Good info thanks! Mine is at 80% right now - lock is in heavy use as it's our main access point. Am still amazed that both my daughter and wife have both taken to using the code with no complaints..

@erktrek how is your Kwikset 912? Is yours zwave or Zigbee? I need a few of these for exterior doors to my crawl space. It’s much cheaper than the Yale version but open to spending more if it’s worth it.

Zigbee and working great!!!!! The only thing is there are only 5 buttons so you have to use a longer keycode.

In defense of the Schlage locks, I've got 2 or 3 of these at each residence, and they work well, abet in a residential setting. The mechanical keys have never been needed for any of them. Battery life is just fine, and they are very obvious when they get hungry for new batteries, giving adequate warning well before death. The Z-Wave RF aspects may frustrate some with larger homes, but this kind of thing comes with the territory - moving one's WiFi to a different center frequency, or eliminating WiFi and going back to old-skool hardwired Ethernet cables can help in cases of persistent "Z-Wave unreliability".