Yale Locks Not Showing up for bridging

Just got my new hubitat setup to control my Yale Door locks via homebridge integration but when i go into the setting none of the yale locks show up? These are Yale Assure Zwave locks. Is there something i need to do the lock settings in for the devices in hubitat?

Locks, among some other devices, are not supported by the built-in beta HomeKit integration. For more information, including this, see the documentation:

1 Like

ugh. that sucks. This was the whole reason i bought a hubitat. Is there any work around?

Homebridge is the work around.

As the article @bertabcd1234 linked to explains, Apple restricts some devices from being shared by certified HomeKit bridges. Hubitat is trying to get that certification, so they have to play by Apple’s rules with their HomeKit integration.

Homebridge, as an uncertified bridge developed specifically to integrate unsupported devices with the Apple Home app, doesn’t have to abide by the same restrictions.

2 Likes

Funny you should mention that. I have a home bridge setup and that was the first route I took but the code for zwave devices is 3 years out of date and none of the zwave plugins for home bridge will compile anymore because the underlying libopenzwave have been updated and the plugin code is broken.

I realize this isn’t hubitats fault and I probably should have done more research. Is there not a way to create a virtual switch that sends a zwave command that HomeKit will allow. Or barring that a good home bridge plugin that talks to hubitat? I used to use one with my openhab /zwave stick raspberry pi setup. It wasn’t the most reliable thing on the planet but it worked

Are you talking about HomeBRIDGE or Home Assitant?
Homebridge just acts as a HomeKit hub, and there is an active and functional Hubitat plugin for it along with an app that goes on HE. I would recommend using this over the system integration if you have a home server to host the HB instance on.

Yes it’s possible to use a virtual switch with the Hubitat HomeKit integration to control your z-wave lock.

The homebridge plugin for Hubitat that @jtp10181 linked to is excellent, and is currently how I get my zigbee locks and a Lutron garage door opener into the Apple Gome app.

If you’re comfortable with using Homebridge, that’s the option I’d choose, vs. using a virtual switch, I mean.

I was talking about homebridge. I use it for a lot of non HomeKit stuff. I also have worked with home assistant though. I’ll try the plugin and let yall know.

Thanks Yall. I used the HomeBridge Hubitat plugin (homebridge-hubitat v1.0.26) and it worked! Hopefully Hubitat will get certified at some point to make this process easier. There is a bit of a delay using it this way but thats to b expected.

1 Like

It depends what you mean. The HomeKit certification is what forces the restrictions on which kinds of devices Hubitat is allowed to include in the built-in HomeKit integration.

So unless apple changes the rules, Hubitat won’t be able to add locks, garage doors, maybe a couple other types of devices (can’t recall off the top of my head).

So for those of us that want to have our z-wave/zigbee locks in the Apple Home app, there’s probably always going to be a role for Homebridge.

1 Like

I have no perceived delay at all. Originally my HB server was running on Wifi and I had issues with it, once I moved it to an ethernet connection it is pretty much instant.

I moved mine to ethernet as well and its almost instant. Thanks!