Yale Assure SL advice - Yale Access Kit

Hi There, I currently have a Yale Assure SL lock with the optional Yale Access kit (YD-ACCESSKIT), which is supposed to enable native HomeKit. But after trying and trying (even speaking direct to a key support person here in NZ about it) I just cannot get it to work (SOOOO Disappointed) - I think that it is something todo with my Apple TV being too far away from the door. Anyway for the past year we have just used it as a key coded lock which works very well, so currently I have the module installed in the lock, but am not using the bridge.

Now that I have a new Hubitat unit :smile: I am having a play around. I installed the August Home drivers, connected it up and now have a August Lock with DoorSense in Devices. However, it does not actually do anything, and I think its reading data from the August API from when it used to be connected.

OK, so my query for advice is: What's the best way to proceed here? Install the bridge (does this work)? Shelf the Yale Access kit and grab a Zigbee module for it and connect to Hubitat?

Note: We are all iPhone here in the house, so Hubitat connects to a Homebridge docker image to bring all these devices in one place. I really only want to control the lock via HomeKit.

Many thanks!

Simon (NZ)

If it’s not too painful on the wallet, I would strongly consider this.

I just installed my third Yale assure deadbolt with zigbee module last weekend (I’m in the US). I’ve never had an issue pairing or using all three of them with Hubitat. I really like them.

2 Likes

Thanks for that - I have read a few reports of exactly the same, so providing there is no other replies regarding the Yale Access kit - I think I will head down this road.

1 Like

Coming back to this. I could not get the Yale Access Kit working correctly, so ordered the zigbee module. However the Yale Access Kit not working was bugging me so I wanted to make sure it worked so I could sell it. I got on a call with Yale NZ support (who was a local and really knew his stuff), we walked thru resetting the lock and the kit... and would you know it? I got it all working with Native HomeKit support!!

When you install the module into the lock, the instructions on screen ask you to remove the backing plate for the lock and scan the QR code, there is one there but it does not scan. Looking closely, Yale had installed a HomeKit QR code over the top of the Yale QR code - duh! So it then says enter your products SN, which is also written on the back of the cover. That gets the lock working, but in the past HomeKit would never work.

SO THE DAM INSTRUCTIONS ARE WRONG IN THE APP! You need the SN from the module, not the lock - %@#@*#&!. Once I used this, it worked perfectly and for the first time since I bought the lock 2 years ago the process went all the way thru with no issues. I now have native home kit support and can also use the lock via the Yale app which is connected via the Yale Access Kit.

How many world wide issues must be created because of this?

Support guy was a legend.

2 Likes

OK - so the HomeKit stuff is just flaky as. I returned the lock HomeKit Module and added a the Zigbee module, connected to Hubitat, then to Homebridge via the MakerAPI and it works a treat!

Simon

1 Like