Yale Assure Lock… not seeing lock codes when unlocking

Hi!

I’ve recently installed a Yale Assure SL lock set with Z-wave plus on my Front Door.

I’ve wrapped the lock in reliable lock to make sure that the lock status gets reported correctly and the lock stays locked and unlocked.
I’m finding though that the lock code used to unlock the door is not being reported in the event logs or in the debug logs. The locking and unlocking are reported.

I have a z-wave repeater 3 feet away from the lock. I’m using the generic z-wave lock driver.

I’m trying to use the rule machine to trigger when a lock code is entered.

Any suggestions?

It's a function of the lock not outputting that info as far as I know. Some locks do (Schlage for instance) some don't. One thing to check, do you have encryption turned on on the lock device page? That could be preventing it if it's available.

Are you using Lock Code Manager (LCM)?

My zigbee-module Yale Assure will report the Name of the user (from LCM) who unlocked, but not the code itself.

In Rule Machine, you can then use a trigger like this ("Guest" is actually a Name/code I have in LCM)

If you're not currently using LCM and just have the lock codes programmed directly into the lock itself, I think you need to follow the steps at the bottom of this post to reset the lock & module data -- then it can get everything cleanly from LCM.

(Someone please correct me if that info is no longer current)

1 Like

To @hydro311's point, were the codes set directly at the lock itself, or using Hubitat?

1 Like

I have the Yale Assure Zwave lock. I'll be honest I've never thought to look in the logs to see if the user is listed, but there is a community app that will generate a report with that information. I've been testing Hubivue dahsboards for a few weeks now, and I have it set up so the dashboard tile for the lock shows me the last code that opened it. All that being said tells me the lock is repeoting that info. Why its not showing up in your logs is beyond me.
Screenshot_20220903_102256

1 Like

Totally different lock but on my old Schlage FE599 I have to "Enable descriptionText logging" on the lock preferences.

With that done, I see the name of the person unlocking the door both in "Events"

and in "Logs"

I don't know if your lock has the same requirement . . .

2 Likes

Lots of good thoughts....

I'm using LCM... Only the master code was programmed at the lock...

Here are some screenshots...

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 11.05.44 AM
ng)

I may have older firmware in my lock than you.... I have sent a support ticket to Yale to see how to determine the firmware version and to update a Z-Wave version if there is an update...

Here are the events... I'm getting the lock codes reported in events...

I have the same Yale lock - with a zigbee radio in it, and this is what the events looks like:

So possibly the generic z-wave lock driver is not returning the codes? I should swap to a zigbee radio?

I know there are users with the zwave version off that lock like @SmartHomePrimer. I’ve never heard anyone raise this particular issue before.

I would recommend excluding and re-adding your lock.

I should add - I’m really happy with the zigbee version.

I have two Yale Assure locks, one that I've had for several years, and one that is just over a year old. They are both ZWave and I'm also really happy. :slight_smile:

I get lastCodeName on both.

2 Likes

I think I'll try that next...

Both of my Yale Assure locks use the Generic ZWave Lock driver and both provide lastCodeName values.

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 12.35.49 PM

Update... I just completed the process outlined earlier. I excluded the lock, reset it, added the Z-Wave module back in, re-added it to the Hub and set new codes via LCM.

I'm getting the lock codes by name as described above. I've created a few rule machine test rules to ensure that they get triggered correctly, And they are!

So I'd say, it works! Thanks for everyone's sage advice!

4 Likes