Yale assure auto locking too quick

I have Yale Assure SL ZigBee which is added as a device on my Hubitat C7. I have set the autolocking setting in the device page set to 1 hour... But the lock somehow is autolocking within around 5 minutes. What might be happening here?

Does the in use by (bottom of the device page) show anything that could be adding additional control?

1 Like

Here are the screenshots of my device and related data:

Maybe the lock's internal Auto-Lock is active (log shows physical, not digital)...?
Try going into the locks menu and select 1 to ensure it's disabled.

3 Likes

Oh.. I'll try this

I disabled the lock from the physical keypad..I then went to device page to re-set lockout at 30 minutes and saved the preferences and device...but the lock is still locking after around 3 mins somehow :frowning:

Perhaps the device doesn't support longer timeout?

Have you verified that the auto lock doesn't trigger if you set the timeout to disabled in the device page?

2 Likes

I just turned off autolock from device page. The lock no longer autolocked.

As shown below, I finally locked it by manually clicking the "lock" button from device page.

I think what's happening is that although you're setting a value of 30 minutes on the device page, the internal maximum value the lock can process is hard coded at 3 minutes.

i.e. Main door lock was locked via auto lock [physical]
These commands are generated at 30 sec - 3 minutes by the locks firmware.

If you want a delay of 30 minutes set up a HE rule/app of some kind.

Edit: Like what @tony.fleisher said. :wink:

1 Like

I just changed device page to lock in 5 mins.. but it still locked in 3 minutes.

I will explore the apps/RM but with a heavy heart, as I felt this was a simple native feature which should have worked out of box.

Is there any possibility that this might be a bug in HE driver side?

As @ranchitat said, the maximum auto-lock timeout for this lock is 3 minutes.

So when the driver tries to set the auto-lock to 5 minutes (or whatever), the lock caps that time at 3 minutes. As an aside, when the driver is configured to auto-lock it turns on auto-lock on the lock (if it was disabled) and tries to set the timeout to whatever the user picks - for instance 5 minutes. The lock doesn't have a 5 minute timer so it chooses its longest timer (3 minutes)

So the best way to handle this is what @ranchitat said. Disable auto-lock on the lock and use a rule. The rule can be more sophisticated as well, such as only lock when the door is shut (as judged with a contact sensor).

Edit: The Yale driver may have been adapted from the driver for another zigbee lock that permitted longer times before auto-locking.

1 Like

tagging @bobbyD

Here's the one that worked for me with my door lock/contact sensor.
Personally never used the Yale Automatic Re-lock since there's no feedback on if the door is open/closed.

1 Like

As mentioned, if the physical device only supports 3 minutes there's nothing wrong with the driver, other than offering an option that's not supported by this specific lock model.

3 Likes

I would recheck whether this setting was saved correctly. It should work like how @aaiyar’s screenshot shows.

I have two of these locks on my front and back doors, both zigbee. And I’m about to install a third in my garage. They all work fine with Hubitat, and I don’t use the driver settings. I use the auto lock app mentioned above.

2 Likes

I just upgraded a Yale to Zigbee today. Prior Yale auto lock was disabled.

At Master Reset of lock I entered the Master code, and in menu installed module all good

When I built device I turned auto lock in Hubitat to 5 min and it works. Hubitat controls the door. I have not changed time but the lock is under Hubitat control as I dont have the Yale door sensor which would show change of state so has to under Hubitat control.