Xiaomi motion sensor hack

I've applied the mod to one of my motion sensors with a 2B pencil and it's working as expected, thank you!

1 Like

Nop, sorry, I did not see this earlier.

Hello @SmartHomePrimer:
A quick question about the Xiaomi Motion Sensor:
Is it possible to "turn down" the motion sensitivity?
I'd like it to detect just a human being, and it seems to pick up plants swaying in the wind.

(Now that I've got it solidly on my zigbee network, and it's not dropping, I want to use the damm thing!)

Not electronically that I’m aware of. I think if it was possible @veeceeoh would have added that to the driver. He normally adds everything that is possible and works reliably enough to make such a feature worthwhile adding.

What I have seen is the use of physical masking. Not specifically on the Xiaomi, but in various types. For example, @mike.maxwell uses a very cool technique with the centralite that have a knob type IR emitter/receiver. He simply tapes a tube around it and that limits the sensitivity field to a very narrow range, so that only persons passing the sensors will trigger them, but animals will not.

You can see in sensors like the NYCE curtain motion sensors (meaning it is a “curtain” of IR), that they seem to have simply masked the area where they don’t want detection to occur.

http://nycesensors.com/products/ncz3045/

1 Like

Well, thanks anyway.

1 Like

Hi all,

if anyone some tips for me how can i connect the two points? i test it and it seemts good for me, but when i test the motion sensor, i see some problems in home assistant (one problem is, that the occupancy never go back to false, it stay always on true :frowning: )

can you help me with some tips?

best regards

luetter

Hello, what was the strength of your wire? I can't get a clean connection, HassIO always shows crazy data ...

Some have used as little as a pencil apparently. Sounds odd to me. I think I would at least use a silver trace pen.

Your software needs to reset the sensor to inactive. That is what was needed on Hubitat is my understanding.

1 Like

oh ok, can anybode confirm, that i must reset the state of the sensor manually (per Hassio,...)?

Maybe ask on the Hass.io forum. I'm assuming they would be likely to know the answer to a question about Hass.io.

1 Like

I have the problem of xiaomi human body sensor which detected alot without any physical real motion or movement. How to fix it?

Welcome to the Hubitat Community!

I don't think you can do anything about that. I've never had that issue with either of my two Aqara motion sensors, or the three Mijia motion sensors I have. You may simply have a defective sensor.

However, if there is sunlight hitting it, that can cause any motion sensor to give false triggers. There is an option in the HE Motion Lighting App to turn on only if Lux is below a set value. You could try that if you have a sensor that is giving false motion events when sunlight hits it. Or better yet, move it so that doesn't happen. :wink:

Best way to use any Xiaomi device in my opinion is to connect them directly to either an Aqara HomeKit hub and then use Homebridge and HomeKit automations to sync their responses to virtual switches, or get the specific version of the Mijia Gateway and used the MiConnector app. I use the former method, and this works perfectly. Xiaomi devices are not standard Zigbee and thus can be hit and miss on anything but a Xiaomi hub. But connect them to a Xiaomi hub and they are incredibly stable and responsive.

2 Likes

This hack sounds interesting.. wish I know how to solder :disappointed:

Many here said they used one of the silver trace pens for circuit repair and that works. No soldering required!

Try @markus' new driver for the Xiaomi Mijia/Aqara motion sensor. I think it lets you reset the sensor to inactive after an arbitrary number of seconds (1-3600). I haven't tried that setting yet, but I will tonight.

EDIT: CONFIRMED @markus' new drivers let you set the inactivity timeout to anything between 1-3600 seconds and it works perfectly. No need for any hardware modification!!

Tagging @SmartHomePrimer - you might be interested in knowing this.

Do the Xiaomi motion sensors not have a hardware reset of 60 seconds, so even if you make the driver inactive after 30 seconds, it can't be triggered again for another 30 seconds after that. Is this the correct way to look at this. If so why would you want to make the "driver" inactive, sorry if I am not understanding?

Yup - this is correct.

So you don't have to wait 61 seconds for a motion inactive event?

2 Likes

Yes, it does, it was added more for those that do use this hack. Doing this without the hack you could have an inactive period where you can't reactivate the sensor yet (as I see you're aware of). This works very well in some scenarios, not in others.

As for the hack, there are non-solder versions of this hack, but they are not as reliable. I'm not very good at soldering either so I used thin copper tape and just applied a small amount of solder at the contact points. It is possible to destroy your sensor doing this, so be careful and aware of the risks.

2 Likes

Thanks @aaiyar!
I have started using @markus Xiaomi drivers although the inactivity timeout helps in some scenarios, I will still have to think about either silver trace pens as suggested by @SmartHomePrimer or go for soldering! Will see if I can get help from a buddy who knows how to solder !

1 Like

It's really not hard. It just takes a steady hand, of which I actually do not have, but I've learned techniques to steady my hands over the many years of working in print.
If you have an old router or any other electronic device destined for scrap, pull it apart and practice. Just avoid practicing on motherboards. They use a very high temp solder and that wouldn't be a good learning experience.

This looks like a decent starter kit if the iron lasts long enough, and the temperature is relatively accurate. Set it to around 340˚.

Simple.
• Hands away from the tip
• The sponge is for keeping the tip clean
• Don't breath in the smoke
• Wash your hands before and after

It's also helpful to have something to keep the work steady. I use a very similar vise to this one, but there are tons of other "extra hands" you can get. This one includes a magnifying glass and that helps a lot.