Xiaomi & Aqara Devices - Pairing & Keeping them connected

Just thought I'd have a play, the wireless buttons come back to life after a few presses, so I monitored the ZigBee radio and for noticed that they came back to life after the received string below

So it first receives the string with profileid 0x0, once it receives this it then will work as per the second string, it will then drop off after an indeterminate time. Below is from another switch

One very confused user :slight_smile:

Until updating my hub from 2.1.5.124 to 2.1.7.125 a few days ago, I did not experience this issue. I could push either button on one of my WXKG02LM Aqara Wall "switches" and the lights would come on immediately (or whatever action I had set up.) I have read other reports of needing to "wake up" Aqara / Xiaomi buttons, and my best guess is that it may be related to what ZigBee repeater devices are own their network, or some other environment-specific factor.

Now that I'm on 2.1.7.125, however, I am noticing a distinct delay between button press and the lights coming on / action occurring. Nothing has changed other than the Hubitat hub is updated, and I know I did not have any kind of hub "slowdown" going on as my logs had shown things happening in very rapid succession (including driver-determined double-clicks working flawlessly with my Original Xiaomi buttons).

I simply don't have the time currently to look into why a delay has been introduced (due to the holidays coming up, etc.) but I will report back whatever I find when I do have time. Some changes that have happened between 2.1.5 and 2.1.7 may be related, not sure, so I suggest looking at that factor.

Ok I spoke too soon. I had 3 xiaomis fall off last but it turns out that the ikea repeater that they were connected to had in fact dropped off instead. Unfortunately the xiaomis didn't rejoin any of the other repeaters (I guess this is normal?)

I've not had any issues with the Ikea's but now they drop off and have to be rediscovered. All three are affected.

Question: Is this proof that the Aqara Water Leak Sensor is still alive?
(As you can tell, every morning, at 6am, I update the "battery date")

Is there any other way to tell, besides an actual physical test?
P.S. I did a physical test, and yes, it still reported the leak.

1 Like

Of all the Xiaomi devices that drop, those never do and are still happy on my HE hub

1 Like

How do you know that they have never dropped?
(I don't mean to doubt you, but the phrase is "Trust, but verify")

I verify physically every month. Wet paper towel test

Please forgive me, but I'm lazy. I want HE to check for me. There must be some way.

The battery date wouldn't be that way--that's handled entirely within the driver. It does generate an event and thus "activity," but it's only because you did it. This is a courtesy the driver provides, not anything the device itself supports or needs to be communicated with to read or set.

I don't have any of these, but I'm shocked it doesn't do the hourly checkin like nearly every other Xiaomi device...

As @bertabcd1234 said, you are generating your own events. Logs show all of mine sending a battery report every 50 minutes.

The xiaomi devices check in about ever 50 minutes. However every now and then they may skip a checkin (I don't know if its just the message getting lost) but they are still online and functioning. My rule of thumb is usually after about 3 misses Its dropped.

That being said I have about 60 devices and they very rarely drop off.

You can use a tool like device watchdog to monitor the last activity and ensure they are checking in frequently.

3 Likes

Hello Gavin:

1. Yes, I use Device Watchdog. Unfortunately, it's fooled by the fact that I send the devices a "Battery Replaced Date", every day, so it thinks that there is some activity.
  2. Please look at the screen shot that I uploaded earlier. It shows that from Dec 4 to Dec 20, the only activity was me sending "battery replaced date", NO other reporting. Yet the physical test shows that this sensor still worked.
    Why?
    P.S. Best of the Holiday season to you and your family!
1 Like

Question: Are you using @veeceeoh standard driver for the leak sensor?
Why doesn't my leak sensors report in like that?
(Much appreciated your screenshot).

2 Likes

That is strange. The other Xiaomi sensors (tilt/vibration, contact, motion, temperature/humidity/pressure) definitely check-in once in 50 minutes.

Hard to fathom why the leak sensors don't report regularly.

Could it be that in the preferences section of the device page, I left everything to default, and I took off info reporting?

1 Like

Yes, I'm using his drivers for the leak sensors, contact, and temp./humidity. All log the battery reports/check-ins every 50 mins.
Happy Holidays to you and yours!

1 Like

Can you please take a screen shot of your preferences for that device and post it?

1 Like

Sure. I do have info logging turned on. I run a Device Watchdog report every day to alert me if there hasn't been any activity.

1 Like

That's got to be it.

And Happy Holidays to your family and you! I imagine in Canada you'll have a genuine white Christmas. In New Orleans, like Bing Crosby, I'll only be dreamin' of one :laughing: