Xfinity IP Control?

After doing some research, I can see that the Xfinity box can be controlled over IP with Control4. Has anyone seen any way else to do this?? Seems it's been out for a couple of years maybe someone has reversed engineered it.

Reference Doc for Control4

(BTW, I could have sworn I wrote about this before but can't find the post!)

1 Like

Watching.

Watching also....

Wonder if the comcast business routers can be control that way?

Any more luck with this?

Watching

Here's what you need to do for an x1. Using the supplied remote hit the big button in the middle, for about 20 seconds (mine says Rogers others have Comcast or similar) then the down arrow twice and then the number 2 from the keypad. That will put you in the diagnostics menu. There is an entry for IP control on the menu. You will have to reboot which is also on the menu. I'm using wifi but an ethernet connection also works. Let me know if you need more assistance.

I can confirm that this gets you to a diagnostics menu. IP control is an option but I cant enable it. After some troubleshooting I also realized that the ethernet port isn't working on the box.

Do we have an actual API document?

1 Like

I don't have an API document. I'm using Control4 with the IP driver over WiFi without any issues. It is likely available on the Xfinity developer portal though.

I checked my notes and it is the exit button for 5 seconds and then the down arrow twice followed by pressing 2. I may have sent you to the "read-only" version. Try that and see if you can change the IP control settings.

That seems to be the same menu. I am guessing that I can't enable it until the box has an IP address.

What are the next steps? I have IP control on and a stable connection to port 8091 but I get no response when sending a command. Not even sure if it is the correct port.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am a Control4 user and I have IP control working on these boxes - I am in Canada so they are Rogers rather than Comcast. I used the steps above to turn it on and I am able to fully control. When I turn on debugging I see the following when pushing Enter and then 1 on the Control4 remote. As you can see there appears to be an authentication token required. I would like to be able to directly control the box and I have done a lot of googling without much success. There appears to be some sort of an API but it is undocumented. Hopefully someone hacks into it.

-- RFP --> [5001]: ENTER -- {  }
--  WS  -> [6001/8091]: { command_name = "Key Command Request", bind_id = 1, key = "Enter", authtoken = "[SECRET]", xactid = "0000000030", cmd = "keyup" }
--  WS  -> [6001/8091]: { command_name = "Key Command Request", bind_id = 1, key = "Enter", authtoken = "[SECRET]", xactid = "0000000030", cmd = "keydown" }
<-- WS --- [6001/8091]: { command_name = "Key Command Request", xactid = "0000000030", status = "success" }
<-- WS --- [6001/8091]: { command_name = "Key Command Request", xactid = "0000000030", status = "success" }
-- RFP --> [5001]: NUMBER_1 -- {  }
--  WS  -> [6001/8091]: { command_name = "Key Command Request", bind_id = 1, key = "Digit1", authtoken = "[SECRET]", xactid = "0000000030", cmd = "keydown" }
--  WS  -> [6001/8091]: { command_name = "Key Command Request", bind_id = 1, key = "Digit1", authtoken = "[SECRET]", xactid = "0000000030", cmd = "keyup" }
-- RFP --> [5001]: SELECT_SOURCE -- { PATH_TYPE = "1", MEDIA_ID = "0", ROOM_ID = "60" }