X-10 Support?

Yeah that means another layer on top of mochad - but maybe it will be simpler, ST comms is nuts, atleast here you can have clean async

I haven't followed the entire conversation with regards to node-red and etc... but if you are trying to control X10 including dimming etc from Hubitat... have you considered the solution that I mentioned?

It seems VERY reliable.

I run homegenie on a Pi... this gets you URL access to all your X10 stuff with a pretty rich set of commands.

Then I have a simple custom driver in HE to send out the URL requests from Hubitat... basically all my X10 stuff looks like a Hubitat device(s) etc... AND you can do ALL ON and ALL OFF commands easily this way too.

It's pretty easy to get set up and while I got real sick of trying to use HomeGenie as a general purpose hub- it works great as a bridge in this manner.

Just food for thought....

Thanks @kv1 -
a few questions?

1- can you share a link for setting up HG for X-10 there is a mention of an image. I briefly looked at this PI beginer guide to Installing HomeGenie for X10 - seems quite intimidating - is there a how to?

2- how do you receive incoming messages from Sensors and security devices, that is my primary use case, I have all my switches/lights (well except for 2 that are in the ceiling) on Zwave or Zigbee but use X-10 for motion sensors and like, cant beat the price?

3- Have you shared your driver code anywhere? Would appreciate a link.
thanks

2 first... great question... no I don't know how to do that. I dumped all my X10 sensors as I got sick of them. I understand your point... and I guess I don't know of a good way to get sensor data into Hubitat... so that may be a show stopper then for you.

1- If that beginners guide is too intimidating and you are not big on linux commands... then yeah.. .also this might not be a good choice :slight_smile:

3- I'd be very happy to share that driver... have not posted it... but can do that later tongiht... if I forget and you still want it... pls bug me again.

Thanks!!!!

Read it again - seemed too simple, I missed the interface modules part, so I tthought there is another layer I am missing - didn't want to go hunting. Not intimdated by linux - done X-10 drivers for Wink, ST, Openhab and Pimatic

Where did you dump them - I am willing to do some dumpster diving :smile: seriously depending on what you are looking for, wouldn't mind taking them off your hands.

Would appreciate if you can share, would love to see how you are mapping between the two.
BTW found an Alexa TTS example on the forum which would make a good basis for talking directly to mochad and heyu. Both are widely supported for 2-way comms

I looked at the X-10 .Net Core code they have, this is pretty cool, could be a game changer. Since people have been stuck with really old C based implementations, which are really hard to follow, and also have wierd licensing issues. The driver has a pretty full implementation. thanks for sharing.

I know you don't want to hear it... but it might be time to let go of your X-10 sensors... :wink:

You can grab these v2 Lowes Iris Motion sensors for cheap money while they last. These are amazingly fast, reliable Zigbee sensors that work great with Hubitat (no custom drivers needed.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153437950990?ul_noapp=true

There is a thread with more information here...

2 Likes

@enishoca Wow, if I didn’t already have all the motion sensors I need, I would definitely jump on the deal. $6.60 per sensor beats even Xiaomi, and these Centralite made sensors I’ve found will cling to the Zigbee network. They are fantastic.

2 Likes

thanks for the tip - may be its time now :blush: I will then be left with 2 switches that are stuck in the ceiling over chandeliers - 1920's knob & tube wiring - no neutral, plaster and lathe, and a beautiful plaster decorative rose thingy on the ceiling that I don't want to mess with - I barely had room to slip in x-10 switches 20-some yrs ago. Back then the son was in kindergarden, he is getting married in June and starts his PhD in September. LOL

3 Likes

Yeah that was good find, I ordered them. time to put the X-10 lot on ebay

3 Likes

Congratulations! A lot to be proud of there.

2 Likes

All my toys came yesterday - I have transferred over almost everything from ST to HE - boy that was quick and painless...just not sure about the UI and WAF yet, but we are functional @kv1 how about that script?

Think taking your route will be faster than porting my scripts, they are pretty involved, and HE doesn't allow apps to do hubaction and my scripts depend upon that.

I got the sensors @ogiewon recommended so all I need to control is 2 switches in the ceiling. They have been so relieable for last 20yrs, kind of hesitant of taking them out and putting in zwave or zigbee. Since in last 4-5 years I have had z devices, have had to reset each one of them at-least twice, and don't want to be taking off chandeliers to do that.

1 Like

@enishoca

Oh boy, sorry for that delay

Here is the driver code for a HTTP GET "Switch:

/*

• Http GET Switch
  • Calls URIs with HTTP GET for switch on or off

*/
metadata {
definition(name: "Http GET Switch", namespace: "community", author: "Community") {
capability "Actuator"
capability "Switch"
capability "Sensor"
}
}

preferences {
section("URIs") {
input "onURI", "text", title: "On URI", required: false
input "offURI", "text", title: "Off URI", required: false
input name: "logEnable", type: "bool", title: "Enable debug logging", defaultValue: true
}
}

def logsOff() {
log.warn "debug logging disabled..."
device.updateSetting("logEnable", [value: "false", type: "bool"])
}

def updated() {
log.info "updated..."
log.warn "debug logging is: ${logEnable == true}"
if (logEnable) runIn(1800, logsOff)
}

def parse(String description) {
if (logEnable) log.debug(description)
}

def on() {
if (logEnable) log.debug "Sending on GET request to [${settings.onURI}]"

try {
    httpGet(settings.onURI) { resp ->
        if (resp.success) {
            sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "on", isStateChange: true)
        }
        if (logEnable)
            if (resp.data) log.debug "${resp.data}"
    }
} catch (Exception e) {
    log.warn "Call to on failed: ${e.message}"
}

}

def off() {
if (logEnable) log.debug "Sending off GET request to [${settings.offURI}]"

try {
    httpGet(settings.offURI) { resp ->
        if (resp.success) {
            sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "off", isStateChange: true)
        }
        if (logEnable)
            if (resp.data) log.debug "${resp.data}"
    }
} catch (Exception e) {
    log.warn "Call to off failed: ${e.message}"
}

}

Just paste that code into a new "driver" in the drivers tab... If that makes sense.

@enishoca

So you call that driver from a switch... remember I am using HomeGenie as my bridge to the X10 devices. I am sure I am not giving you enough detail here really... so ask questions... and I'll try to remember how I got it working :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know its probably an exercise in futility but I have ported over my node-red /mochad/heyu solution over to hubitat. Mostly because I wanted to learn the environment. I wanted to bypass node red and go directly to mochad, using the telnet interface but in the end the hubitat telnet implmentation is too literal and finicky so had to keep that in. But really like the telnet interface. Its a real improvement over the ST implementation, and feels much more robust.
Again not a whole lot of point in it, but will post it anyway after I clean up the code.

@ochilbrae - did you get it figured out? :slight_smile:

Yes, thank you! Old mini-PC running HG on Win 10; your driver assigned to a virtual switch in HE; and finally realising that I needed to open up a port in the Win10 firewall.

So I now have a hybrid system working, and can concentrate firstly on getting the dashboards and rules set up in HE, and then migrate the circuits from X10 to Z-wave as and when they fail and/or finances allow.

This has been a really useful thread!

EXCELLENT!

FWIW I chose to go with Zigbee... it seems to be a little easier to deal with that Z-Wave base only on the comments I've seen. YMMV :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.