Wrong lock code entered alert needed

I am looking for an app that will notify me if a wrong code is entered into a lock. I have a couple of Kwikset lever locks on a Shop and Well house in the back of my property that I suspect that someone might be tampering with. I seem to remember in my Iris days there was a way to do this. Is there currently a way to do this in Hubitat? I did search and haven't stumbled on to anything yet.

most locks, kwikset included do not send any notification when a bad code is entered.

I seem to remember my old Schlage's notifying on multiple bad codes. Is that not the case?

Edit: Yes I just tried this on one of my Kwikset lever locks. If you enter three bad codes, the lock will alarm (beep and flash red) and lock you out for 1 minute. Is there not a way to be notified by this alarm? I'll see if I can find it in the logs.

There is nothing in the logs.

dunno, with debug logging enabled does anything show up in the live logs when this happens?

in any event, there's no uniform way that locks produce this data so we don't support it currently.

I'll try it. and get back.

debug log is enabled but the alarm event is not logged.

This is incorrect the event is logged

Perhaps you can find the Engineering Document. It will contain every command the Lock Supports.

I was wrong, the event is logged in the live logs. I was looking in the event log on the device page. Here is what is logged in the live log when three bad codes are entered.

dev:692020-07-08 05:33:02.306 pm infoLever Lock Lance's Office Closet Door code entry attempt limit exceeded[6:0x13]

dev:692020-07-08 05:33:02.301 pm debugalarmv2.AlarmReport: AlarmReport(alarmLevel:1, alarmType:161, eventParameter:[], numberOfEventParameters:0, zensorNetSourceNodeId:0, zwaveAlarmEvent:19, zwaveAlarmStatus:255, zwaveAlarmType:6)

Just tried on my Kwikset 916 lock and confirm after 3 attempts the touch screen is locked out, but I do not see same info logs as above. Just log entries for manual lock/unlock.

Make sure that you have debug logging enabled for the lock and look at live logging for the entire hub and you will see these events. You will not see them on the events page for the device.

Which means the driver is not creating an event for this. Back to what @mike.maxwell said, the lock drivers don't do this because of lack of uniformity in how the locks themselves handle it.

I now see in the log file:

dev:3222020-07-08 03:51:44.157 pm infoGarage Door Lock detected failed user code attempt[161]

dev:3222020-07-08 03:51:44.152 pm debugalarmv2.AlarmReport: AlarmReport(alarmLevel:1, alarmType:161, eventParameter:[], numberOfEventParameters:0, zensorNetSourceNodeId:0, zwaveAlarmEvent:0, zwaveAlarmStatus:0, zwaveAlarmType:0)

dev:3222020-07-08 03:51:44.146 pm debugparse: zw device: 09, command: 9881, payload: 00 71 05 A1 01 , isMulticast: false

Cool .. I have the 916 too .. would be nice if someone can whip up a way to send this to the HE notification to alert us when there been failed attempts .

1 Like

There's a couple ways I can think of:

1. You should be able to modify @rvrolyk's app in this post to detect these events.

2. I know it is possible to create a node-red sequence that detects these events as well, because I use it to detect similar events with a couple Yale locks.

I looked at the post and it for Schlage' lock?

The 916 is a Kwikset lock but again I am not a coder so I wouldn't know exactly how to make it work :stuck_out_tongue:

I'm not sure you can... I just tried this on one of my zigbee Kwikset 916 locks, and you get no event in Node-RED as the event type is "tamper" and there is no "tamper" attribute.

For some reason I don't think this event gets sent out by Maker API at all... Could be wrong though. :man_shrugging:

With my Yale lock, I read the content of "msg.payload.descriptionText"

The kind of lock doesn't matter. You can edit it to work with any lock .....

That won't work w/my Kwikset Zigbee (no idea of the zwave is different). There is no event in node-red whatsoever when the invalid code tamper event happens.

Aha - it has been mentioned that some of the info messages are lock specific.