Would you consider Smartthings again?

Hubitat does currently have commercial customers as well, there has been mention of that in the past.

1 Like

I was tired of relying on their unreliable cloud for my automations. Before I became aware of their status web page, I spent too much time trying to figure out why xx didn’t work.

I have Wyze products that go through their cloud. Their cameras, door lock, thermostat, security all go through their cloud. Quite often Wyze will post about an outage and people say their homes are getting hot or cold because the thermostat control is in the cloud and is offline because the server is down. It doesn’t happen much, but when it does, I post that Wyze needs a hub like HE that their devices connect to and still function without Internet. Wyze does not monitor their forums so all support in the forums is from volunteers. Wyze is also a modified VAR that they don’t make anything they sell. Most everything is a copy of an Xiaomi product with Wyze firmware. Their v3 camera is the same as the Roku camera sold at WalMart. The Roku firmware won’t work with Wyze and vice versa. Xiaomi makes the same camera for both Wyze and Roku.
My Kwikset door lock and Nest thermostat are not Wyze for that reason.

1 Like

wyze doesnt care if they did listen they would build in local urls to the cameras without jumping thorugh hoops and using a barely functional 3 yr old firmware..

1 Like

Using ANY cloud-based services for the Home Automations is the most idiotic idea.
Your Home NEVER will be true automated if relies on all these rainy clouds.

3 Likes

I can’t even imagine why I would. Hubitat gave me what I was looking for from day one, and has faithfully built on that. Adding Home Assistant to Hubitat automations has filled in all the gaps for me.

The other stars in the lineup are Insteon, HomeKit via Homebridge and Lutron Smart Bridge Pro. The Hue bridge serves my purposes very well too. As you can see, everything is local. Nothing here is cloud dependent. That’s not to say I don’t have cloud dependent devices of course. Alexa definitely requires the cloud, but if the Internet goes down, no automation or manual controls in my smart home stop functioning.

1 Like

Nah. when I need something in addition to HE, it is Home Assistant.

Samsung is not a trustworthy long term partner.

I invest way too much time and sweat equity into home automation to rely on their whims.

8 Likes

All my automations is on HE C8. But yes, HA fils many gups for BT and some LAN
devices. So far near everything is local.

Never again. I was there for the Kickstarter. When Sammy hinted at the IDE deprecation I was out of there. Thank Darwin for HE. I live in WebCore and community apps.

2 Likes

If Samsung decides to shut SmartThings down, your hub would become a useless brick.
If HE decided to shut things down, most of your setup would continue to work as-is.

2 Likes

Although I have no desire to see this happen, I have contingency plans in place for this event too.

Let’s not forget about the 200 device limit that comes and goes with the wind - they removed it and added it back several times over the years. I’d be screwed as I have 284 devices

3 Likes

I use ST for the few things that Hubitat doesn't or didn't support.
That list recently got a bit shorter thanks to changes on the Ikea side and the drivers that dandanache created.

Presence/geofence works better on ST, since we use Galaxy phones.

I had left HE for about a year and went all in on ST after I found out that my cheap & cheerful Ikea buttons would work with Edge drivers.

I had no issues with Edge drivers, but I did have one particular issue that kept cropping up after power failures.
After the third or fourth time, I complained about it on the forums and an ST staffer said that it was due to a known issue around the RTC, but gave no clue whether it could be fixed or not (and still hasn't replied to me after I answered his further questions).

After that comment I got pissed off and started migrating back to Hubitat and bought the C8 as soon as it hit the CDN resellers site.

Most of our devices are shared back to ST, or ST to HE for a few devices, using the tools that coreystup and Bloodtick_Jones developed.

My wife likes using the ST app, so I share the necessary devices from HE to ST and she's happy.

My wife also has her own Echo device, and since HE doesn't allow multiple Alexa skills to be installed, we use the ST Alexa Skill to get the devices into her Alexa/Echo device.

Our home now runs on a pair of HE hubs (C8 & C7) with ST in a support role for a few things.

A double hard drive crash on my NAS took out my Home Assistant install, and instead of replacing it, I found an HE solution to replace the one main thing I was using HA for.

5 Likes

It'd be nice if they'd start making a Smartthings Arrival Sensor again.

3 Likes

I used SmartThings for two years and moved to HE three years ago. HE is a much more reliable platform and the user community is what really makes it shine. But, I would move to something that is more idiot proof and more powerful. I would prefer a hub that was ridiculously over powered so resources are not an issue. An example would be an iPad. It's probably be 100x more powerful than needed for the web surfing that 99% of users use it for. I'd be glad to pay for a beast of a hub that had CPU/RAM/Storage to last without reboot for years. And we all have to be honest. We are using HE because we are hobbyists. In my orbit of friends and relatives I've met one other person who is technical enough to use HE. And he uses Home Assistant. None of the hubs on the market today are simple enough for the average user to either setup or care for. Apple has been trying to make that "Simple enough/powerful enough" solution but I think they just keep falling short. Probably because of their insistence on using HomeKit only devices. That may improve with them supporting Matter, when that gets more real. Anyway, I'm happy with HE. I don't know that I want to make home automation my forever hobby. And you have to have a hobbyist zeal to use the current crop of hubs. Including, unfortunately, Hubitat Elevation. To steal from Churchill, "HE is the worst home automation hub, except for all the others."

I am somewhere in between, personally... in the resources space... I don't think you can reach an "idiot-proof" nirvana if you also open the platform up to user-generated content like drivers and apps, particularly those developed by me :wink:

I would be just as happy to throw resources at a problem like the next guy or girl... but ultimately it can often come down to the best utilisation of those resources, which is admittedly the harder path to tread....

I would like to see a measured approach... increasing the resources in the hub in a moderate way, improvements in the platforms use of resources, plus.... well any other improvements that can be found...

1 Like

Your points are fair ones. I think ironically the problem was created by SmartThings when they decided to make all the apps run in a Java Virtual Machine. And then HE is sort of a fork of that. The JVM is just not as efficient at resource allocation and protecting system space from user space as a Unix-ish kernel is. I say this as someone that drank the Java Kool-aide back in 1995 and fell off the wagon 5 years later. (mixing metaphors a lot here.) If all the apps were perl scripts, shell scripts, python scripts, etc. the kernel could handle multitasking and given sufficient power everything would be fast and reliable. AFAIK nobody has taken anything like this approach, but I admit to knowing little about Home Assistant.

1 Like

To be fair a hub full of random scripts wouldn't be the idiot-proof nirvana that I wrote about elsewhere. :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, it is a balance... and, nowadays... well my natural inclination was that C#-style dev's are more prolific nowadays... but in the data-space python and similar languages are more and more common...

Ok, I should move on... :slight_smile:

I think you (and I) are right... There is a balance to strike... we just need to find it...

I'd also add I have never owned a ST hub, so very much commenting in territory I am not entirely qualified to... much like the HA Community.... :wink:

I feel like there’s a non-insignificant amount of HomeKit users using HE to expand the amount of devices we can use from HomeKit. ST was never a consideration and will not be.

Lol ,,, It does feel like sometimes it is too hard to think about another large audience of "other" users.... If you could first transition to the Samsung eco-system before HE, that would make it easier for us.... :wink:

But seriously... move over as quickly as you want... If you have Apple-HE transition issues, post them, there are plenty of users here to solve your issues, and if they don't keep posting or shout louder... you shouldn't have to.... but you will eventually get an answer.