Would a 2nd C5 Ease the Load on Primary C5 Hub?

Hi - quick question please.

Had a C5 for approx 1 year & just started adding some sensors & Speak notifications via a Google Nest (which seem to overload system & speech stops.)
I’m finding I need to reboot to have rules run correctly & speech work again - for a while.

Due to location & cost I can’t upgrade to a C8 yet, but I have access to another C5.

Would adding this to the Hub Mesh & spread the devices/rules etc help to “share the load” & make the system more stable please?
Thanks for any help on this.

Cheers

Maybe, but it depends on what's actually causing the problems on your current hub. Do the "App Stats" and "Device Stats" tabs on the "Logs" page provide any clues? (This is generally the most helpful tool for figuring out this kind of thing.) If you're using a custom integration that is using a lot of processing resources, for example, then moving that off may help; some people do use a second hub just for purposes like that. If you can't identify anything in particular, then you might be dealing with other problems that this setup may not help with.

2 Likes

Thanks Robert - that advice has been very helpful. I hadn’t discovered that Logs area before, but it is now my favourite HE activity. I have removed some items from my mesh (mainly Wemo devices - Wemo Connect is using the most resources) & tested/changed other settings/devices. No wonder the system was being overwhelmed - there were so many unnecessary things happening. I’ll continue to use these various logs & may have some further questions. And miraculously now my phone notifications actually work too. Cheers. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Wemo devices are known to be incredibly chatty and bog things down...

Another issue can be z-wave ghosts wreaking havoc with your mesh. Unfortunately with the C5 you need a z-wave stick to find them. c7/c8 they're easy to spot.

1 Like

Thank Rick.

I did realise that I had left all the Wemo devices in the green “select to set” mode in Wemo Connect app, so I think they were even clogging things up more than usual. This has reduced the volume of chatter in the logs, but it’s still the most dominant app.

I’m thinking of either migrating that app to a secondary C5, reserved for “Wemo,” or removing it completely & managing the Wemo Switches under their native Wemo app. I still have some of them running under that app without any issues. The Wemo Motion Sensors only work under their own app, as they are wifi & not Zigbee, as are the Switches. I have a lot of Wemo bulbs, but as they are Zigbee I operate those under HE. I have just started using some Zigbee motion & door sensors.

I’ve never heard of z-wave “ghosts” before. I don’t have any of those devices yet. Is the z-wave stick similar to what a Zigbee “sniffer” does? I do have the z-wave dongle that came with the C5, & I believe that is actually connected. I might disconnect that dongle until actually needed.

I’ve never really needed to reboot the HE before, but I’ve been doing it at least once a day recently as I try to understand it more, & when I notice it stops speaking via TTS. I’m going yo create a rule to reboot each day, when I figure out how to program that, probably via the Rule Machine I believe.

On a side note - Whilst seeking a way to sense motion, to control my Wemo Zigbee bulbs (which no longer work with the Wemo light Hub & app,) and as the Wemo Motion Sensors can’t connect to HE - I’ve recently discovered some cheap LED bulbs on AliExpress that have a built in sensor, at the tip of the globe. They are literally only a couple of dollars each & so far they are brilliant. Ranging from 12 - 20W, they illuminate for 1 minute if no further motion detected or just stay on if movement continues. I’m using in kitchen, stairs & areas where mainly walking, rather than motionless, for safety & energy saving.

Sorry to ramble, but thanks again.

Cheers

Something else to consider is allot of people here have abandoned wemo altogether because the wemo connect app has had strange issues or completely failed after a period of time or upgrade. I finally got fed up with my smart plugs and replaced them with Zooz Zen04 plugs. Wemo smart plugs were the very first smart device I got years ago.

1 Like

Thanks - I hear ya. Same here - they were my first too - great at the time but tech has changed since then & Belkin have more or less abandoned their once-loyal Wemo customer base. Cheers

Ahh so you're not in the US then. That is a regular z-wave stick that needs to be used on your hub directly, you would get another one to put on your pc and then pair with hubitat as a secondary controller. If you're not using any z-wave devices then you don't have any ghosts.

1 Like

Great - thanks again Rick.

No, I’m down the bottom of the world in NZ - where it’s already your tomorrow!

Cheers

1 Like

Aidy Bryant Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.