[WITHDRAWN - Use the new Broadlink integration by @tomw] NATIVE Broadlink RM/RM Pro/RM Mini/SP driver

1. Its this device on Amazon: BroadLink RM4 pro IR and RF Universal Remote, All in One Hub Code Learning WiFi Remote Control for Smart Home and Entertainment Devices TV, STB, AC, Curtain Motor, Compatible with Alexa

2. Downloaded the Broadlink app, joined RM device to my Wifi, and learnt my RF blind remote commands.

3. I just setup the app in HE, so it wasn't working historically, first time setup.

OK I saw the warning on the first post, its an RM4, so looks like its not supported... sigh

I have just posted an update, v0.44.

It is available from the first post in the thread.

You missed the section in the first post that states you need to use either the eControl or IHC apps to configure the RM device.

The new devices can not be used with the older apps, because the older apps have not been updated to recognized them (forcing the use of the broadlink app) and the broadlink app locks the devices to cloud only control.

Short answer: No.

Long Answer: Maybe. There are reports that the RM4 devices that have been locked by the broadlink app CAN be unlocked, but the procedure is finicky and, unlike the older devices, you can not use the manufacturers app simultaneously with third party apps.

The procedure is:

1. Factory reset the RM4 device.
    a) Use a paperclip/pin/sim tool to press and hold the reset button.
    b) Continue to hold the reset button until the status LED blinks continuously, then release the reset button.
    c) Allow the unit a few seconds to settle
  2. Connect the RM4 device to your network
    a) Run the broadlink app and use it to discover the RM4 device and connect it to your network.
    b) Once the broadlink app indicates that the RM4 device has been connected to your network, STOP. Force close the broadlink app. If you continue past this point, the app will lock the device.
  3. Attempt to discover the RM4 device with the broadlink device manager app. (use version 0.44 or greater) The device page will show the RM4 device and it's status.

If the device is showing as "(UNUSABLE - CLOUD LOCKED)" then the procedure failed. You can try the procedure again, only force closing the broadlink app slightly earlier in the connection process.

If the process succeeds, the device will still show "(Unsupported device)", but we can deal with that once we determine if the device can in fact be unlocked.

Ultimately, If you can send your unit back, I would do so. You can still get the older RM2 and RM3 devices that work perfectly well... And you don't need to fight with them to get them to work.

https://www.amazon.com.au/BroadLink-Automation-Learning-Universal-Compatible/dp/B07N75M494/ref=pd_vtp_60_20?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07N75M494&pd_rd_r=eff3feab-e064-4fb1-9b71-3ddee8c803d8&pd_rd_w=7Tq29&pd_rd_wg=lZVsE&pf_rd_p=7d92e78e-c5ee-40c5-b0c2-cf5e3523e663&pf_rd_r=XN7S9SZ8KF08ZKTEDFMX&psc=1&refRID=XN7S9SZ8KF08ZKTEDFMX

https://www.amazon.com.au/Broadlink-Wireless-Remote-Control-Automation/dp/B079NDS2B1/ref=pd_di_sccai_1/358-1087838-1770435?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B079NDS2B1&pd_rd_r=297ffb00-d5ae-461e-82b5-e461319882b3&pd_rd_w=5p9Hn&pd_rd_wg=DFYHT&pf_rd_p=11998419-1b66-4464-9f54-f4d330472ce1&pf_rd_r=ATM7AH37Q44BM88N7E4N&psc=1&refRID=ATM7AH37Q44BM88N7E4N

4 Likes

Cant wait to try this out! Just ordered an RM3 Mini on amazon and just installed a Panasonic XE12SKUA Exterios XE Heat pump in my garage.

I dont see that the Panasonic is currently supported by the built in codes but I dont mind learning the IR codes and sending them to you to see if they could be added.

I'm using this device for 330 MHz (works great with their own app) but unfortunately we don't have a driver for it yet so can't drive it from HE.

I am using the Broadlink RM Pro (RM3) to control Yoolax blinds with a Dooya motor and RF control. Works wonderfully except for the fact that it doesn't always trigger reliably (dropping UDP packets?). I work around this by using a REPEAT loop and resend the transmission every second for 5 seconds. Does anyone else have this issue and an alternate work around? This makes it difficult to stop the blinds at anything other than fully open or fully closed.

Small thing that isn't critical to change, or maybe its not possible anyway.

Changing the name in the HVAC app doesn't change the device name in the devices tab and tiles.

Can easily change both in the app and in HVAC manager anyway so no big deal.

Tried looking for this but it's such a long thread.

For the hvac/thermostat tile my temperatures appear to not update. In this thread I found the updates should be the same frequency as it's driver if it's a sensor that isn't the broadlink one.. But my other temperature files are updating but the hvac/thermostat one isn't updating. Seems to only update when the tile was created (however I have only been observing this for an hour or so as my focus has been elsewhere until now).

Edit: Seems a refresh of the hvac device in the device page updates it.. But that also turns the system off so polling the refresh isn't an option. Although I suspect I have a bug for the temperature not updating so polling the refresh in rule machine should needed be done anyway.

I don't believe the intake temp verse output temp to determine the mode was implemented was it? Reason being is I use contact switches on my flap/louver to sence when the air con is working anyway so the Samsung contact sensors would sense the output temperature anyway..

If we had access to writing to the unknown value in rule machine then it could be done. Appears only the properties in the device tile are accessible though.

I realise there are probably plenty of other areas of work you are doing (like adding supporting protocols thanks for that) so don't expect this to be a priority on your life.

In relation to displaying the calculated mode, it seems a global variable can be set in rule machine. Then have a connector for that variable in rule machine. Then a tile can be made to show the value of the connector variable.... So I guess the mode could be estimated in rule machine and displayed on its own tile.

Edit: Initial trials show the tile updates based on the output temp verse room temp.. Not perfect but it works.

Heres an example dashboard section for one of my split air conditioners state and control. All red text is used to illustrate

Capture

Capture2

I have not had any issues sending RF or IR. For the RF, I actually send the signal from my RM Pro on the 1st floor to the fan on my master Bedroom’ ceiling on the 2nd floor without issues. I have not had to send the signal more than once for it to work. Not sure what would be causing this issue... Could it be issues with the RF code that is being used? Would it be worthwhile to try capturing it again?

I have just released update to both the Broadlink Manager application and the RC HVAC Manager application.

Broadlink Manager application v0.46

• added support for automatically sending code multiple times

RC HVAC Manager v0.19

• added support for Hitachi and Mitsubishi0x01B
1 Like

I have been using the HVAC app and driver for a while now (since it was created actually...) and it has been working great for me!

I use the Thermostat tile template and it combines the intake temperature with the set temperature and the mode all in the same tile. You indicate you removed it from your tile?

As you found and can also see in the screenshot below, the state is determined by the driver comparing the input (21.49oC) and output (21.68oC) sensors’ temperature. So if you switch from cooling directly to heating, it will accurately report that it is still cooling until the point where the output sensor reports that the air coming out is warmer that the air going in.

For this to work properly, I have placed a sensor inside the unit’s intake (but one could also be placed just outside the unit above the air inlet I suppose...). I also placed a sensor in the outlet vanes. You can see the two Smart Things multi-sensors in the picture below.

Now to answer some of your questions (to the best of my abilities):

Correct. You would need to change the driver name to see the change reflected in the tile.

The set temperature, the temperature between the arrows in the tile will only change when you change it by pressing on the arrows. The output temperature is on top in my tile and for me, it changes with every update sent by the sensor - it sounds like this is not working for you, not sure why that would be as it works for me. Are you seeing errors in your logs?

It was - See the information above.

I suspect it is due to the fact that the command sent to the Broadlink is using UDP which is a one-way unreliable protocol. These packets can get dropped, especially on a busy network. Perhaps my network has a bit more traffic than yours (I have 5 in the house and a lot of gaming/Zooming etc.). It is working reliably now with the repeated instructions. If the codes are incorrect, I would assume that it would never work (although I don't really know exactly how the Broadlink API works). When I get a chance I will update to the new .46 and relearn the codes and see if that makes it any better.

My state stayed as unknown permanently and the temperature didn't update like my other tile with the same sensor on it. So I removed it because it served no purpose how it was and for scaling purposes between my mobiles and tablets it made the tile much tidier. However if the temperature changed in the tile to reflect the room temperature (I only want to display room temp rather than output temp) and the state changed I could remove the two other dedicate tiles and make the hvac one larger... If it changed for me. I assumed the state wasn't implemented, but suspected the temperature was a bug for me only.

I am using two sensors for the output and one sensor for room temp (close to intake I guess but not as accurate) at the moment however has plans to buy more SmartThings Multipurpose ones today. I have a generic zigbee contact sensor in the outside of the flap that indicated the state of the air con (flap open means the AC is on) and a seperate xiaomi temp/humidity sensor on the flap as well. This could be replaced with a single SmartThings multisensor but I already had these sensors with the contact sensor implemented before I noticed this gem of a app/driver.

Thanks for confirming. I won't change the name much so really doesn't bother me.

Correct, mine doesn't update when I know the sensor value changed. I may check my logs as you suggest. I haven't got around to that just yet.

Awesome ended up pickup up this one from Amazon and it worked!

I have a question, is there a way for be to view existing codes stored on the RM Pro which I setup in the app and can import into HE?

I'm trying to learn an RF button on my motorized blind remote (DC1602) to set the blind to the middle position. Its been difficult to capture the code in HE, as its done by holding down the stop button on the remote, which I think means it first sends the stop code and the learn process then fails. I managed to capture the code using the Broadlink App, so was hoping I could import that into HE?

I just posted an update to the RC HVAC Manager app

*v0.20 - fixed - Changing device name in RC HVAC Manager did not change the name/data in the thermostat device

No. The devices do not store any codes, regardless of the app that controls themSince the broadlink app makes the devices that it uses uncontrollable by third party apps, nobody who developes the third party apps has invested any effort into figuring out how it manages/stores codes.

If you can capture it with eControl, the code can be extracted from eControl rather trivially.

BTW... What happened with the RM4 you had??? Did you try the procedure I posted or did you just send it back?