[WITHDRAWN] Unofficial Ring Integration

First, just wanted to add my thanks for all your work in this.

I just finished doing the initial install and found that my battery stick up cam and wired floodlight camera weren't showing up. Looked for the "kind" info in Chrome as described upthread and found the same "cocoa_camera" kind as JNS, added it and it seems to be working fine.

I also found the floodlight as kind: "floodlight_v2". I added it like this:

"floodlight_v2": [name: "Ring Floodlight Cam Wired", driver: "Ring Generic Light with Siren", dingable: true]

I didn't test the alarm because I didn't want to freak out the neighbors, but I did test the light on/off/strobe functions on the floodlight and they work.

Thanks again!

I ran into a problem if 'Sync Ring Alarm mode to HSM mode' is enabled on the Ring Alarm Hub device and you have also created a rule to push the HSM mode to Ring. If you set HSM to 'Armed Night' that event will cause Ring to go into 'Home' mode which in turn causes HSM to go into 'Armed Home' mode. I ended up disabling 'Sync Ring Alarm mode to HSM mode' on the Ring Device and created a rule in its place.

Could use some advice here

• Mode Manager sets mode to Night at 9:30pm
  • Simple RM 4 Rule runs at 9:30pm to see if any Ring contacts are open, if so then make announcement, if not do nothing and mode will be set 5 mins later. This gives us time to close doors/windows before the mode change

The last 2 nights, the Rule thinks something is open yet when I check the Ring app, all devices are cleared and the alarm is set with no warning

Where to start with this? Even right now the rule is true (something open yet nothing is)

Rick

Edit: OK found 1 contact sensor (virtual device) that HE thinks is still open yet the door is physically closed, ring says it's closed and the event history in Ring is accurate with activity from yesterday.

Tried refresh in the HE virtual device, status didn't change, still says open
Opened and closed the door, recognized by Ring and announced on Alexa, HE never changed

Hi all.
We've had a spate of burglaries in our area recently and the better half wants to know why we don't fit some security features to our house.
We have a 4 bed detached house that could be covered with 2 external cameras. I think we could get away with just the doorbell at the front and a camera at the back.
Before I jump in I thought I would ask you guys/gals here who are using the Ring product, what would be the best way to go.
Can I use local storage, I have an RPi but don't know if this could be used?
Thanks in advance for any advice that you boffins can provide. :wink:

Should "Friends of Ring" devices connected to an alarm hub be showing up in Hubitat? I just added a garage door tilt sensor to my Ring Alarm, went into my "Ring Alarm Hub" device and clicked on "Create Devices" and the tilt sensor is not showing up.

Any ideas?

So, a couple of things here. This is named incorrectly. I should have named it "Sync HSM mode to Ring mode?". It's really only changing the HSM mode when the Ring mode changes. If you have a change on the Ring side when you change HSM to night that means you probably have a Rule moving the Ring alarm I think. Be careful not to build circular rule conditions that would cause an endless loop of change or cascading unwanted changed. I've changed the name for a future release.

Also, as far as other modes go I didn't know what to do here because Ring has three modes and Hubitat has 4. I don't use armed night in Hubitat so the decision was simple for me. I can't make 3 Ring values to change 4 HSM values without advanced logic. So, essentially, Ring can only set armed home, armed away or disarmed.

You can change the mapping if you want in the map on lines 212 to 214 of the alarm driver. You could map Ring home to HSM armed night for example which is really the only other possibility that makes sense. That's why I made it a toggle. If it doesn't work for you don't turn it on and handle it in a rule when you can check the time and presence sensors, etc.

Is this a virtual device that this integration created? Is anything still updating it aka is it still a child of the API device? Is it a duplicate? Did you have to remove and recreate a sensor on the Ring side? If so, they get new IDs when you join them in again and it will create a duplicate.

If you've changed devices on the Ring side you will need to hit the create devices button again.

There is absolutely no local storage or DVR solution for Ring products. Completely cloud based and internet reliant. Internet goes down and goodbye Ring everything. Poof.

If you want something local I really dig the Wyze cams with SD cards and an app called TinyCam Pro on the Android side. I can't remember what it's called on the iOS side but I think it exists in a lesser capacity by the same developer.

There is no integration with Wyze and Hubitat yet but these cameras are fairly decent, reliable and extremely cheap. Stupidly so. I can't figure out how they are making any money. They work with Google though so you can say "Show me [camera name] on [display name]" so that's pretty neat.

They also support IFTTT so you can get notifications from a Webhooks call if you wanted. I only have two Wyze cameras but I haven't integrated them to Hubitat yet. They were mostly toys because... THEY ARE SO CHEAP but then I ended up loving them.

If you don't care that the Ring devices don't have local abilities (this integration is completely cloud based btw) I fancy the Ring Floodlight Cams. Sturdy. Wire easily to existing outdoor fixtures. Good image quality. Best sirens of the entire line. Probably best 2-way audio of the entire line. The 2-way audio in general of all of these Ring products is gimmicky and weak. The biggest thing though is that you can swivel the camera.

I sort of hate my doorbell. It shows a lot of road and their motion algorithms don't deal well with headlights reflecting from water (caused by rain or snow) or sudden changes in light. I've had the original Ring Doorbell, the Doorbell Pro, and the Doorbell Elite. 2-Way audio is bad on all but best on the Elite. But all have bad mounting options and no ability to position the camera or change the frame (other than the plastic wedges for the Pro).

I say ditch the doorbell idea completely and just do 2 wired cams. Spotlights are probably the easiest if you don't have fixtures. Floodlights are probably the easiest if you do have fixtures.

1 Like

If you turn on the debug and trace logging you will probably find messages about an incompatible device. I didn't write a driver for tilt sensors yet. I don't have one direct connected to my Ring Hub.

If somebody sends me one I can or somebody with one who is a developer or tech savvy can PM me and I can help them create a driver I can add.

I don't think this was named incorrectly, it makes sense to me the way it is.

I did realize this could happen. I only set the alarm state if it is not in the state I want.

Totally understand. Not a big deal. I just moved this logic to RM. I use my basement motion sensors in night mode so need it to sync with all four HSM modes.

Thanks again.

Groovy is one of the languages I don't know but I'm more than happy to help out. What do you need from me?

Hey codahq

yes, created by the integration, not a duplicate, never removed or recreated it on either side. Everything worked great for days until this one device stopped being updated.

Here is the full log

What are you suggesting would be next steps?
Remove the device from any uses
Delete the device from both sides
Let the integration re-create it

Thanks, Rick

@codahq

On another note, I have mode manager setting night to day, home to away and day to night and setting the alarm accordingly via a RM 4 Rule, worked for a few days then stopped.

Here is what I see in the Ring API log

Here is what i see in the RM log. As you can see, mode did change this morning at 6:00am

Mode seems to be working fine, the rule seems to be working fine, setting the alarm isn't

Rick

@toy4rick

I had the same issue and I decided to remove my post since I found the issue with mine. Under Apps, my app for the unofficial ring integration has disappeared for whatever reason. I re-install it and it works fine now. Will keep an eye on this.

Hmm, my ring app is still there. Nothing has been touched since the original install

Rick

Bear with me as I'm transitioning from ST.

Install seemed to go fine, but I am getting the below error:
Succesfully added Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 with DNI RING-12517511
An error occured com.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'Ring Generic Camera with Siren' in namespace 'codahq-hubitat' not found

Any idea what could be causing this? I imported the RAW code and even verified the "kind",lpd_v2". Everything else seemed fine.

Turn on trace logging for the ring API device. Check to see if the websocket says connected or not. Then trigger that sensor and tell me what happens in the log. Please remove sensitive information before pasting it or send it in a PM.

It means you didn't install the 'Ring Generic Camera with Siren' driver.

Today I performed a manual backup in advance of applying the latest platform update. Once the update completed, the hub rebooted and guess what, the device checked in

Websocket is connected

See the PM
Rick

That's not normal. The watchdog should have reconnected it. It's likely to do that again I think. When it does please PM me so I can get some more details.