[WITHDRAWN] Unofficial Ring Integration

Has this code been tested and is it considered stable? I started building out a new repo for this before you posted this link. It looks like this repo was actually forked from GitHub - djdizzyd/ring_hubitat_codahq which has some commits that the cmorse repo doesn't. I might try and reconcile the two repos and get this all into Hubitat Package Manager to make it more easily consumable.

4 Likes

When you mark a public repo as private, github picks a forked repo to mark as the new origin for other forks. djdizzyd (@bcopeland's repo) IS NOT what these were actually forked from (it says my fork is from his too but it wasn't). It's just what github does when you mark a repo private.

I don't know how well tested it is, just figured I'd put the link out there for anyone who is adventurous and wants to test as I know people were waiting on the modes support. Reconciling it with the other repo is probably a good idea, but it could also just be that @bcopeland was making changes on his own that have nothing to do with the original. Maybe he'll chime in!

Not yet.. I had plans to contribute to it but never had the time.. I wanted to integrate the still picture capabilities .. But always had enough of my own projects to keep me busy.. So that's why I had a fork

I'm just hoping that someone with some sway is talking to Bruce about this. As my parents used to say: "it takes two to tangle" -- it isn't good for the community (or the business building it) if there are individuals that become identified as toxic in the leadership.

Huh, as long as I've been using GitHub at work and privately, I never knew that. Guess I've never dealt with a repo taken from Public to Private before. Good to know, thanks.

Looks like the commits GitHub is saying that djdizzyd's fork has that aren't in the cmorse repo are noop commits anyway. I'm probably not the best person to work on actual development of this functionally, I'm still pretty novice when it comes to groovy, my depth of knowledge lies more in ruby, puppet and python. I'm willing to work on packaging and just general caretaking of the repo though, I'd like to get it into Hubitat Package Manager at a minimum. I still think it would be a good idea to get this under the Hubitat Community GitHub group.

I googled it this morning, I had no idea either :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Something my parents used to tell me too is, "there are two sides to every story." Bruce, respectfully has made the decision not to make a private conversation public which I think is the right call when dealing with employment issues. But like I said, every story has two sides and you've only heard one side. Whenever we tell a story, we always tell it through our own lenses and isn't it funny how whenever you tell a story it always comes across like the other guy is wrong? I know it happens when I tell a story that I'm emotional or passionate about!

5 Likes

That is true also.

Though given Bruce's position of authority / leadership, this sort of story (one-sided that it is) doesn't help build a community. It is possible that the toxic individual in the disagreement wasn't Bruce -- but both the silence and the fact that nobody else seems to have had issues with codahq seems to support the current narrative. To be clear: this wasn't an employment issue. This was multiple occurrences of miscommunication (at the minimum) or toxic behaviour (at the maximum) between a community leader and a community member.

I'm not specifically calling him out for an attitude -- it could be that his actions were completely misinterpreted or that there were other things going on that caused the miscommunication. In an ideal world, the concerns would be recognized, settled, and everyone would be back on track towards building a community.

I’m saying though once someone mentions they had a dispute related to employment/hiring HR and hiring law becomes an issue. As an employer myself, I would ever respond due to the risk of a lawsuit and I know my HR and legal teams would tell me not to respond. So don’t be surprised if he stays silent.

1 Like

This is very sad news. I would like to take a moment to thank @codahq for his contribution and continued support. Sometimes things out of our control don't turn out to be as we want them to. It is part of life and our desire to make things better for ourselves and for the community we belong to. I hope @codahq will reconsider his decision to pull support for this awesome community. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to reach out to us. For now, because the source code is no longer available, this topic will be closed. If new github repo is made available, please consider creating a new topic.

Please join me in wishing Ben good luck, he will surely be missed.

23 Likes