[WITHDRAWN - Use the new Broadlink integration by @tomw] NATIVE Broadlink RM/RM Pro/RM Mini/SP driver

As near as I can tell, he's gone dark. And the people asking about if they can share his code have not indicated that he has licensed it to them for that purpose. So perhaps I can't say he's 100% not licensing it to anyone, but I do know he hasn't licensed it to me for redistribution, and no one else on this thread has indicated that he has licensed it to them for redistribution.

Again, I wish this was different. It's a great piece of code and very useful.

3 Likes

Fair enough, and I will have to retract what I said earlier that I thought it is OK to post it if it had attribution. While that is my OPINION, is not correct from a license holder standpoint. You are absolutely correct that if no license terms are specified then all rights are reserved by default.

Re-hosting/re-distribution, in that case (even with attribution) is not technically correct/allowed.

I learn something new every day, I guess. Thanks for educating me (seriously).

(I edited my earlier post to reflect the above)

4 Likes

This is correct. It came up when one of my first student had to publish his thesis. He needed to add data from his first publication (of which I was corresponding author), and the institution (Northwestern University) required him to get a release from the publisher to do so.

Which was essentially a circular email from him to the publisher to me back to the publisher and back to him. While he was sitting in an office 10 feet away from me :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Can anyone give any guide on how to create the remote control profiles? As in the protocols, rather than learning many many seperate "generic" codes.

My new ac that is daikan doesn't work with the one included unfortunately.

Shame cybrmage has left the project as he was very supportive for my other Mitsubishi ac that didn't work.

Edit: Seems if I learn a few codes with only one thing changed at once, then I manually put them into a spreadsheet separating them into blocks of hex code. Then look which areas change to determine which blocks are for which blocks.. Then edit the child device driver.. The editing of the child device app seems approachable at first glance... However I am sure it's not going to be straight forward for me to understand all the code as there is other padding in the ir codes which I'm not sure if they need to be changed.

LOL different topic than copyrights... I have an issue with a device. I don't think it's a bug in the driver, and I don't really need any help. I'll play with it some more. I just thought some folks might find it funny.

I have a fan/light with RF remote. Last winter, I used this driver to learn the on/off codes for the light, and I used RM to make it controllable via a wall switch. Worked great all winter and spring.

Now that it's summer, I have the fan running most of the time, and the other day I noticed that the fan would stop spinning whenever I turned the light on or off. So weird. It does not do that if I trigger the light from the remote. So somehow the code I'm learning during training is slightly different than if I just use the remote.

Anyway, I just thought it was funny the weird things that can happen when you hack communication protocols you don't understand. And I have NO IDEA what that giant string of hexadecimal that my remote is sending means. :smiley:

1 Like

Any possibility that both codes are sent at once? You would need to have it learn High-Medium-Low with the light on, and also the same with the light off.

For a couple of my devices (mini-split and electric fireplace) each combination has its own code...

There is a way in the driver combine and send the individual codes/signals, but I have never needed to spend the time to figure this out unfortunately. @cybrmage knew this on the tip of his fingers and if I remember correctly, he explained some of how this works higher up in the thread.

The solution I implemented many years ago when I installed the fan was to connect the light to a dimmer switch and hard wire the fan. That way, I only use the RF signal to control the fan speed and can dim the light.

I see this as similar to Action Tiles which was free initially, then withdrawn and offered as a paid product. Existing users got to keep using it but of course there was no support.

I'm guessing that in the absence of any explicit terms general copyright law would probably apply to the code (IANAL).

Ooh that’s an interesting theory. I’ll have to test that out.

So, I recently purchased a RM Pro.
If I haven't yet downloaded a copy of the driver/app/etc/ , I'm never going to get it?

I understand, but that's a shame.
I view this issue with seriousness, because it means exactly what @JasonJoel wrote earlier - take a copy as soon as possible (for your own private use only, of course). If not, your source may not be around at a later date.
This has happened before(Envisalink, Ring Security, Shelly products). I hope that it doesn't become a trend.
I'm going to assume that if I can copy the driver/app/ then I'm going to be ok in terms of using it, in perpetuity (for my own use only).

Same as me, I have a Broadlink Rm3 mini arriving on Thursday 18th, not sure what to use now??? Could someone if they had the knowledge carry on with this code or is that not allowed?

P.S. Not me, just asking :sweat_smile:

IANAL but I play one on the internet.

I don't know Canadian copyright law, but for the purpose of this thought-exercise, let's pretend it's the same as US law....in that case, it's not allowed to 'carry on with this code' in the sense of continuing to distribute the code or forking the code for public use. People with the source code could probably alter their own copy, for their own use...maybe. They could distribute patches, but not the original code.

Someone else (HE staff, maybe?) could develop their own implementation, without looking at the original code (a "clean room" version). The existence of working examples of the driver means that there is a reference version, a way to test that the new code functions correctly. In this scenario, developer "Alice" codes a brand-new implementation of a Broadlink driver & app without access to @cybmage's version. User "Bob", who already has a copy of the original, can compare the function of the two and provide feedback to Alice about whether her version functions identically, without redistributing @cybrmage's original code.

Urgh.

Aren't we all just over reacting and law and what not.

In reality, in the privacy of your home, probably. Whatever you do with your own copy of the code will probably never be an issue.

For discussion on a public forum, I'd say we're not over-reacting, simply being prudent.

1 Like

IMO this should be a fun hobby. All the talk of code legality and hurt feelings really drags me down.

8 Likes

Trying to work out how to use this. I have the RM 3 mini. Have connected it to ihc app and to HE with the device manager. I have added my TV and Yamaha amplifier via the ihc app.

Should I then be able to sync the codes to the Broadlink Hubitat app? Please could someone give me an idea how I would go about setting this up so that for example I want to either ask Alexa (Alexa, Movie time) or tap on a tile on the HE dashboard and the TV turns on, changes to Netflix, turns off the overhead lights, turns on the led strip and a floor lamp. I know the Broadlink will do the TV, Netflix, and the Led strip via IR commands but not sure how to set this up.

It's written in the first post.

Did you install the driver, then add your devices, then set the up addresses in the device page?

If you installer the application instead, then aren't the instructions in the first post enough? You need to learn codes. I don't believe it imports from the ihc app. Ihc is just used to setup wifi.

You should then be able to click the learn ir or learn Rf in the device page and the light on the broadlink come up to show its waiting to learn. Keep an eye on the attributes in the device page for it to tell you what stage it is at (for ir it's just a single press and it's learnt, for Rf there are more stages). Then click send last code to make sure it learnt properly.

If it was learnt properly, then type a name in the save box and save the code.

In rule machine for the actions, choose custom command, then actuator as device type, then string, then type the name of the command you saved before.

1 Like

So as far I have been doing, and it's in line with the first post, you learn the codes in the device page or the application depending on how you installed things. Then use rules machine to send the custom code/string as described above.

1 Like

I'm making available a user app, MiniSplit, I wrote to control my five dumb Fujitsu mini-splits using the Broadlink RM app. It should also work with non-Fujitsu devices.

• Controls my dumb Fujitsu mini splits in conjunction with Broadlink IR blasters, an HE Virtual Thermostat device in coordination with the HE public Temperature Averaging app.
  • Allows using mini split Dry mode as part of cooling process, or stand alone.
  • Documentation and setup instructions are in the source code.
  • Currently controls Dry and Cooling, Heat and Fan perhaps in the future

I wrote the app after a failed attempt coding it with RM. Also, I could not get the Broadlink HVAC manager app functional and did not use any of its logic or code in my app.

Do not hijack this thread. Kindly send a Private Message with any comments or issues. The code is pure alpha state, feel free to modify it.

Source Code:

2 Likes

Hi, I have X10 diveces, the y work with Rf comands, I have learned them on the the ihc app (Android Broadlink app), and work percetly with the app.

*The problem is from the Broadlink Divice Manager app.
Here is what happends. When I try learning (following each step carefully), everything goes fine at first, learned procces Ok, code lerned Ok, name the code OK, etc..
But when I select save.
I get this:
Code ERROR
Code not added
Code format not recognized.

Thanks

I had the same issue, I think some devices cause some issues. I've not been able to resolve it