With the lutron pro bridge

I just ran a quick test using a Hubitat Button Controller App to have a Pico turn on a Caseta Dimmer. If one watches closely, the Pico remote's LED flashes rapidly when the button is pressed/release quickly. Only once the Pico's LED stops flashing does the Caseta Dimmer start turning on.

A directly paired Pico to Caseta dimmer behaves differently - the dimmer turns on immediately, even while the Pico's LED is still flashing.

1 Like

Fair enough - here's my use case. I want to use a single Pico remote with two different devices based on the time of day. One of them is a Caseta dimmer, the other is a zigbee bulb.

There's a delay in controlling the Caseta dimmer - whether I use NR directly to the Caseta bridge, or via Hubitat. There's no delay in controlling the zigbee bulb .....

I just wanted to second this experience: I have lots of Pico remotes (in fact, I'm pretty unusual in that I have RA2 without any hardwired Lutron products--just Picos and motion/"occupancy" sensors). Most of them control Hue bulbs. As above, this is very fast--I have buttons 2 and 4 on the "5-button" (3BRL) model send a startLevelChange() on pressed and a stopLevelChange() on released to Hue bulbs or groups, imitating the behavior of a real dimmer (or a Hue Dimmer remote when on Hue, for example). So traffic here goes from Lutron to Hubitat to the Hue Bridge to the Hue bulbs, and even with all that, it's practically instant.

(I'm not discounting Z-Wave, either--many people make it work well for them. Lutron has a rock-solid reliability reputation, perhaps because it is not a mesh and therefore isn't subject to problems a poorly-designed mesh network can create. I'd say most people can make either work well with thoughtful planning, and both protocols have published theoretical ranges...and real-world practical ranges, which hearsay suggests Lutron's may be closer to than many others'.)

1 Like

I wanted to control hue light with Pico. Won’t that go through h.e and be a delay?

No. There will be zero delay as long as you're not trying to control another Caseta device via the Hubitat hub.

Use Cases:

Slow (about .5 second delay)
Pico-->SmartBridge-->Hubitat-->SmartBridge-->Caseta

Fast
Pico-->SmartBridge-->Hubitat-->Hue
Pico-->SmartBridge-->Hubitat-->Zigbee
Pico-->SmartBridge-->Hubitat-->Z-Wave
Pico-->SmartBridge-->Hubitat-->LAN

3 Likes

Ok that I get. Not so strange of a time based use.

1 Like

Oh, now I get what y’all mean, thanks

2 Likes

Yes it will go through HE. No there won't be a delay.

Here's my timings if interested.

Pico --> RR2 --> XP6s --> RR2 --> Dimmer

Timestamp 7/12/20 @ 12:13:07.667 AM

(DRVR:INF) 13:09.395  073 - Lutron RadioRA 2 / HomeWorks QS - ID 41, Button 4 was Pressed
(DRVR:INF) 13:09.400  075 - Lutron RadioRA 2 / HomeWorks QS - ID 24, Switch/Shade Command Off/Closed (3) Executed
(DRVR:INF) 13:09.478  076 - Lutron RadioRA 2 / HomeWorks QS - ID 24, Level is 0
(DRVR:INF) 13:09.479  077 - Lutron RadioRA 2 / HomeWorks QS - ID 24, Status On is false

(DRVR:INF) 13:10.624  078 - Lutron RadioRA 2 / HomeWorks QS - ID 41, Button 4 was Released

(DRVR:INF) 13:25.179  079 - Lutron RadioRA 2 / HomeWorks QS - ID 41, Button 2 was Pressed
(DRVR:INF) 13:25.205  081 - Lutron RadioRA 2 / HomeWorks QS - ID 24, Switch/Shade Command On/Open (2) Executed
(DRVR:INF) 13:25.300  082 - Lutron RadioRA 2 / HomeWorks QS - ID 24, Level is 100
(DRVR:INF) 13:25.300  083 - Lutron RadioRA 2 / HomeWorks QS - ID 24, Status On is true
(DRVR:INF) 13:25.485  084 - Lutron RadioRA 2 / HomeWorks QS - ID 41, Button 2 was Released

Nice. @bertabcd1234's approach is smart - and I'm tempted to go down that road!

@frmWink2Hubitat
I also have Caseta. I linked the essential pico's to lights through the Lutron app (without interfering with Hubitat) and added extra pico's to Hubitat to manage specific rules of things that could be not functioning (in case of a HE failure).
WAF is there, all the lights are working all the time, whatever the state or the slowness of HE.
Lutron Caseta system is bulletproof and works all the time.

1 Like

Dont you need the PRO2 to work well with HE ?

That is the pro 2

Update: got it for $30 and lutron shipped me a v2 for free

4 Likes

Nice, Lutron customer support FTW (yet again).

2 Likes

Yup, literally took 3 minutes. I’m grateful but it kinda shocks me, u can’t use the v1 hub at all. I thought I just couldn’t use it with hubitat