With the lutron pro bridge

From what I read it’s not mesh. I need one every 30 feet?

Lutron ClearConnect RF is not a mesh protocol. However, it runs at a lower frequency than Zigbee and Z-Wave, so it penetrates walls much better. Also, a Caseta system can have one repeater node added to it, to expand coverage. The plug-in wall dimmer is the most common choice for this, however Lutron has recently added a dedicated repeater to the Caseta portfolio.

I have one SmartBridge Pro + a plug-in dimmer and I have Zero Issues with Caseta throught my 2700 SqFt home, across three levels.

Unless you have a huge house, you will unlikely need more that one SmartBridge Pro2 (as long as you do not exceed the 75 device limit.)

Here is a very good Lutron Caseta FAQ that may be helpful...

https://www.casetawireless.com/faqs

1 Like

Thank you. On sale, how cheap can I get remotes?

Hoew does ~$12 USD sound? :wink:

https://www.energyavenue.com/Lutron/PJ2-3BRL-GWH-L01

1 Like

This package from Amazon is a pretty good deal these days on a SmartBridge Pro2, plus a Dimmer and a Pico for $147. The Pico is worth about $15, the Dimmer about $50, so the SmartBridge Pro is a bargain... :slight_smile:

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-P-BDGPRO-PKG1W-Wireless-Dimmer-Bridge/dp/B01AVLTHY2/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=caseta+smart+bridge+pro&qid=1594485568&sr=8-2

You should probably avoid that one, see this recent thread for more:

2 Likes

I agree with @marktheknife - avoid that one as Lutron no longer allows first gen SmartBridge Pro's to be registered. You definitely want the SmartBridge Pro2, with HomeKit support. The HomeKit logo is useful for knowing if the packaging is for a Pro2 model.

1 Like

Thank you

How would you rate speed vs zooz zwave light switches?

Difficult to say because zwave meshes are so different. However, my Caseta dimmers and switches have always worked at least as well as my zwave+ switches/dimmers.

For example: my motion lighting automation reproducibly takes under 200 ms for a Caseta switch/dimmer to turn on in response to a zwave or zigbee motion sensor.

2 Likes

My Caseta Switches, Dimmers, Fan Controllers, and Pico remotes always respond nearly instantly. I was so impressed with Lutron, that I pulled out all of my old GE Jasco Z-Wave switches and dimmers and replaced them all with Lutron Caseta devices. I have never had any issues with the Lutron hardware, whatsoever. (Note: most of my old Z-Wave devices were an early Z-Wave generation, not Z-Wave Plus.)

There is one situation where a noticeable lag can be demonstrated with Lutron... If you use a Pico Remote to control a Lutron Switch/Dimmer directly within the Lutron ecosystem, the performance is excellent. This is how Lutron implements a 3-way or 4-way switch design (all wireless!) However, if you try to put Hubitat in between the Pico remote and a Lutron switch, there is a noticeable delay. There are threads in the community where you can read about this, with multiple hypotheses as to exactly why it happens.

1 Like

One more thing about Lutron Caseta... :wink:

Your Caseta SmartBridge Pro2 will open up all sorts of integration possibilities, regardless of whether you use Hubitat or not. Caseta works with SmartThings, IFTTT, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, Logitech Harmony, Sonos, Ecobee, Home Assistant, Node-Red, etc... It can work with all of these systems at the same time as working with Hubitat. With Lutron, you're getting an entire Lighting solution, that can be integrated with other systems, and/or operate entirely on its own.

4 Likes

Noticeable delay? Like how long?

Noticeably long. I would estimate it to be between 0.5-1 second.

Also, this delay is not Hubitat-dependent. I have observed the same delay when the Caseta bridge is directly integrated into Node-RED.

1 Like

I honestly couldn't say.
Most of my switches and dimmers are GE or Jasco - bought when Lowes supported the Iris product. Ive since bought a few Jasco ( or GE Embrighten Z Wave plus) lights then these latest batch of Zooz. while ive never timed the response..i dont see any noticeable difference between either of them really.

Regards;
Mac

Oh, that stinks. Deal breaker

It really shouldn't be. I have never needed to use a Pico remote to control another Caseta device via Hubitat. I always directly pair the Pico to the Caseta device, avoiding the Hubitat hub. This way it will always work, whether Hubitat is running or not.

I use Pico remotes to control Zigbee bulbs and a Zigbee fan controller/light combination device via Hubitat. This is nearly instantaneous.

4 Likes

Interesting. I use Pico remotes through my system to control Hue lamps and there is no delay at all. However I'm using RR2 not Caseta so that may be a difference. I do still have my Caseta bridge just no dimmers/switches.

Why would you control a Caseta switch with a Pico going through Hubitat?

Same here with Hubitat Zigbee connected smart bulbs... Picos control them instantly.

It is only the Pico-->SmartBridge-->Hubitat-->SmartBridge-->Caseta Switch/Dimmer that exhibits the behavior. (Note: And Node-RED, as well per @aaiyar.)

Some have speculated contention for the SmartBridge Pro's Telnet interface. Others believe it is due to the Pico remote using the ClearConnect RF protocol for too long, to ensure the Pico's command is heard reliably. I personally do not know exactly what causes the delay, but I feel obligated to point it out to users who are considering Lutron.

If I recall correctly, one Hubitat user (possibly @Eric.C.Miller ? :thinking:) even tried using two SmartBridge Pros - one with just Pico remotes, and the other with Caseta switches and dimmers. He routed the Pico command through the Hubitat Hub and then to the Caseta Dimmer. I believe he found that the lag was still present. Strange, eh? :thinking:

Yes... the problem is strange... the use case is stranger!