Wink moves to Subscription model

3 Likes

I think that this is an excellent object lesson for the risk inherent in "Internet of Things" products - if it needs someone else's server, they can End-Of-Life my Sonos Connect (but not the Ohm Walsh 2 speakers to which it sends music!), or they can demand a monthly fee to merely keep using what I bought and paid for.

The question for Hubitat is simple - what happens to our home systems if THEIR servers go up in smoke, or the whole company suddenly disappears in a black hole, such as Google did with Nest? Is the code copied to an "escrow" backup, in the hands of a "executor", who will make it public domain upon the death or purchase of the company?

And if not, why not?

1 Like

Your local automations keep working normally

3 Likes

Your local automations keep working normally

Yes, yes, until something does not work, and an update is needed to fix something, and there is only the community to form up a project team and get 'r done. My hub just got an update of some sort, one that added nothing new, and only fixed bugs, and one never finds the last bug, one can at best find the anti-penultimate bug, the next-to-the-next to the last.

Hence escrow.

Good comments all. IANAWU, but for what it's worth, I think there is a lesson to be learned here. Lots of companies are struggling these days due to COVID-19; it's not clear that this change is related to the pandemic, but it's not unlikely. That said, given the short 1-week timeframe to move to a subscription model, it seems like either a brilliant move (@jeubanks), or else their only choice—because they really need a cash infusion RIGHT NOW. Their rationale for a subscription is sound, but the timeframe seems desperate. It's possible that they have been struggling for a while, and like many businesses, the pandemic has pushed them to the edge. They may have waited too long to make their move, and this is a last-ditch effort to stay in business.

So what's the lesson? Know any other HA platforms whose business model is based solely on hardware sales?!? A subscription model—especially one with a very modest monthly fee—makes a lot of sense to keep a platform alive. Let's hope that if HE is facing a similar situation in the future, they take a more measured approach, phased-in and with a clear value proposition. As long as there are tangible improvements and benefits, I'd pay a modest monthly fee. The last thing I want to do is migrate to a new platform. Again. :unamused:

1 Like

Ahhh you took the words out of my mouth.
Who's next?? Vera, or did they already make the movie "Weekend at Vera's" and I missed it?

1 Like

Consider me as one of those current Wink users who is thinking of migrating.

Would it be fair to say most of you are happy with the Hubitat experience?

Does it still allow remote access when off site assuming a working internet connection?

Is local control really as quick and responsive as they say compared to could-based home automation?

Is there an easy way to migrate from Wink without having to setup all devices all over again?

I've seen different things said about compatibility devices. I have Lutron and Leviton switches and dimmers, Chamberlain My Q garage door openers, Ring doorbell, Kwikset and Schlage locks, Rachio 2nd generation sprinkler, iHome smart plugs, and of course, Amazon Echo. Can anyone tell me of any unsatisfactory compatibility issues with these, if any?

2 Likes

Ironic that this happens on the day I received my Hubitat... with the poor functionality that Wink has had recently, with third party account links failing and their support line going dark, even $4.99 a month is too much. It's a shame, when I first got my Wink system set up it was a decent little system, but it seems that right after will.i.am bought the company the downward slide began.

2 Likes

Lots of new members today..

Welcome everyone!

5 Likes

As a relatively new hubitat user (just over a month?), yes the hub is very good. I started at Wink, went Smartthings, dabbled in Home Assistant and have landed at Hubitat for my next hub. The community is amazing, lots of help and people working very hard to improve it. It's reliable and "usually" fast. I find it sluggish when I'm sending massive commands to almost all my switches, bulbs, etc, simultaneously but I think it's warranted. The biggest down side is the mobile app and interacting with your devices which may be somewhat painful coming from Wink. I remember their app being well laid out and user friendly, with Hubitat you will have to create dashboards and that area leaves a lot to be desired when compared to ActionTiles or even Home Assistant dashboards and really doesn't lend itself well for mobile use in my opinion. Overall glad I'm made the purchase and I'm happy with Hubitat.

2 Likes

I can probably live with an App that isn't so great as long as we can keep our voice control. Most of the time we control everything through Amazon Echo via Wink. What do you all think of the voice control via Hubitat using Amazon?

I can't compare voice control on Wink because I didn't introduce it until Smartthings but my wife doesn't notice any difference and honestly neither do I. I find it slightly faster but it may be all in my head since I like the hub. We are entirely on Amazon echo's so I can't speak to google's voice assistant. I've created way more complex routines and rules than I ever did any other hub so our home automation game has definitely gone up a few levels.

Today I received the same notice that everyone else with a Wink hub probably did and so a couple of minutes later I placed an order for a HE. Will be looking for some help getting my current integrations moved from Wink to HE before they cut me off.

Anyway, I will probably be asking many questions in this group.
Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

If you share what integrations you need help with we can certainly point you in the right direction.

1 Like

Wow! That is short notice! Can't say I'm surprised. I never understood how their business model was sustainable. Wink was my first HA system starting back in 2015 and it served me well for several years. But the writing was on the wall there, things seemed to be stagnating by 2018, so I jumped ship to HE.
I hope they can be successful as they have a solid, albeit simpler product that certainly fits many users.
Hope its not too little too late for them, but I welcome the influx of new users to HE!

1 Like

The bitter clinger Wink users have been begging to pay a fee to keep the lights on.

It's too little (benefit) to late. It's a last ditch effort by Wink to keep their AWS platform costs afloat.

The FAQ is a huge FU to the wink users, and the short notice is egregious.

Glad I switch last year.

3 Likes

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
No. To be fair - moving to any new zwave controller or zigbee coordinator will require your having to setup devices from scratch.

P.S. former Wink user here.

3 Likes

So just found Hubitat this morning after getting Winks email. Found the product on Hubitat's web site AND Amazon for $99.99. Decide this afternoon to buy and it's jacked up to $129.00! Not a good look Hubitat, makes me wonder how else you might screw me over. Convince me this is a good thing and I should still buy.

1 Like

Okay, so I just posted this elsewhere, but ...

$99 was a long-standing sale price (it has occasionally been cheaper for a short time). The list price is $149. And the first Hubitat Elevation I bought was $129 at the time.

As for convincing you, that really isn't the model by which Hubitat attracts customers. People who desire a generally high-quality home automation experience that easily integrates with multiple other platforms gravitate toward Hubitat.

The vibrancy of the user community is one evidence of the capabilities offered by this platform. I don't know of any other user communities, with the exception of Home Assistant that offer the same degree of participation.

I suggest educating yourself about what Hubitat can (and cannot do) and then decide whether $129 is worth it for you.

I wish you good luck with whatever your choice is.

12 Likes

Yep.. This was the price that I got my first one at... My others were purchased at the sale price

1 Like