Wink motion sensors

Anybody using Wink motion sensors? If so what are your thoughts on it.

Is there a way I can tell if a z-wave device is still connecting to the hub. Since I moved the motion sensor the light has stopped responding. What is a realistic distance I should be able to place a z-wave plus sensor from the hub without losing connection.

They're OEMed by the same folks that make Dome motion sensors. I have a Dome sensor that works well.

How many line powered z-wave devices do you have. You may wish to read both these links:

1. How to Build a Solid Z-Wave Mesh
  2. How to Build a Solid Zigbee Mesh
1 Like

I don't have any line powered z-wave devices. I only have 2 motion sensor z-wave devices.

I read the article but don't have a mesh. I didn't think it would be an issue to place a z-wave plus device 35-40 ft from hub. Aren't plus devices suppose to have longer range.

Range is YMMV because it's affected by what is between the devices.

I wouldn't pay attention to the light. I would enable debug on the device, then go to the logs page... then walk in front of your motion sensors and see if they log anything. Here's an example of what I see from my old v1 Wink motion sensor:

dev:101 2020-03-29 09:15:54.269 am info Motion - Office: temperature is 68°F
dev:101 2020-03-29 06:58:25.442 am info Motion - Office: motion is inactive
dev:101 2020-03-29 06:57:05.659 am info Motion - Office: motion is active
dev:101 2020-03-29 05:51:10.772 am info Motion - Office: battery is 100%

If they don't work at that range, then get a line device to relay.

1 Like

There are too many environmental variables that compromise range. A non-mesh setup is not recommended.

1 Like

I did turn on debug logging after the light it was activating stopped responding. If you're talking about the logs page in the hub menu, I checked it and there is nothing in the logs at all.

There is a wall with a fridge and cabinets in between but there's a big opening on one side of the wall the length of a bar and a open doorway on the other

Unfortunately signals don't run around to find holes to squeak through like rats do :wink: I wish they did! That fridge will have a lot of metal. If the cabinets have a lot of cans in them, those will block too.

Since you've moved the sensor, you just need to put a relay in a place with good connectivity to both the hub and the sensor.

2 Likes

@Hub0000
And then do a z-wave repair.

1 Like

Maybe. Most of the time when I am adjusting relays, doing the repair isn't even necessary. I move the relay, redo my test and it works.

ZP meshes sort themselves out really fast.

1 Like

With just buying the hub and other stuff including the sensors not really on my priority list of next purchases when I can. Have some other stuff I'd like to do first but eventually want to do some strip lights and could add a plug then to control it. I have an old router I can setup as an access point and move the hub in the mean time since the other sensor will be on that side of the house also.

Thanks for all your responses I appreciate the help. This all pretty much new to me and still in the process of getting things setup.

Now that you said that I did see they're listed as Dome Sensors but didn't know that's what our meant.

Thank you for your responses I appreciate your help. This is all new to me and I'm still just trying to get setup

1 Like

Wifi on the hub would make placement so much easier

Do you know what all the preference settings for the sensor do

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.