Wink Hub 2 as zwave repeater/secondary controller

Yes. It will still work as a repeater (and as a secondary controller).

Excellent! Thank you sir!

Also noticed that immediately after I paired the Wink as a secondary, I started receiving double notifications from some rules. No idea why; the only thing the rules had in common is that they were both triggered by new z-wave plus switches. I am wondering if I unpair the Wink, will the double notifications stop.

Thanks for all your help! Just wondering if wink hub will still be zwave repeater if I took it off internet. Don't trust Wink anymore.

Also something weird. I unpaired a zwave relay from wink. Added wink hub as repeater, then added zwave relay to Hubitat. The relay now shows back up in wink as a switch. WTH?

@shircliffs The Wink hub is acting as a secondary controller. It will see devices attached to the HE hub and will likely be able to control them. That is how secondary controllers work. It shouldn't cause any issues, but since neither HE nor Wink directly supports secondary controllers, you shouldn't rely on it.

2 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

It should.

Thanks!

Just to clarify. While it will work as a repeater, it won't work as a secondary controller.

Yes, was thinking that. Thanks again!

Thanks for the great tips here, just wanted to let folks know that this also works with smart things hub too. My z-wave garage go control was unresponsive when using hubitat, but I was able to add smart things hub as a z-wave secondary repeater and controller, and now it works fine!

Does anyone know if it's possible to do a similar thing with the zigbee network for wink hub / smart things hub? I didn't see any options for joining other networks in the utilities.

Did you ever find out if this is possible for zigbee? I'm successfully running the Wink 2 hub as a z-wave repeater. Would love to enable zigbee

Not possible. A zigbee network can only have a single coordinator (unlike z-wave, which can have a primary controller, but additional secondary controllers).

1 Like

Thank you. Interesting, so the Wink 2 hub would have to pretend it's a device to do any kind of mesh participation with zigbee? I guess that is where my lack of knowledge gets confused.

Yes, exactly. Which would require a major Wink firmware re-write.

1 Like

I have found coming from the Wink Hub 2 to Hubitat that is has not been the z-wave
but the zigbee stuff. I have a few lightify OSRAM multi colors in the lamps in the front of the garage and they are not always turning on now that I am with Hubitat but never failed once that I ever noticed with WINK..

NO regrets leaving Wink, and more so no with the Bull they are pulling for a subscription but just a difference I have noticed. but maybe a zigbee repeater might be in order.

If you haven't read this, I'd recommend reading it:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Zigbee_Mesh

Osram Lightify bulbs are zigbee repeaters, but very poor repeaters. They are known to cause zigbee end-devices (like battery powered sensors) to fall off the zigbee network. So in general, it is recommended to keep repeating zigbee bulbs (Osram, GE, Cree, ecoSmart) on their own zigbee network.

Ya I need something between the hub in the center of the house and the lights half the house away and outside as these are the ONLY zigbee devices I have and that is only due to them being color changers. any recommendations on a best repeater I can put half way from the hub to the lights on mains power. such as might you know is the peanut or the TRΓ…DFRI better ? or another device I can just plug in but not have to ADD to the hub or manage in any way ?