Will Aqara finally start to play nice with Hubitat?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
https://www.aqara.com/us/product/door-and-window-sensor-p2

I suppose we will still need an Aqara hub with these new Aqara Thread gadgets?

IF Aqara follows the Matter and Matter over Thread industry standards (and that is a huge IF in the case of Aqara!), then any Matter Thread Border Router device should be able to handle Matter Thread devices. No need for an Aqara hub. The latest Amazon Echo, Google Home, and Apple HomePod/AppleTV devices all have Thread radios within them, that should allow them to operate as Matter Thread Border routers (need to verify that all actually have this capability!)

2 Likes

As I understand it :

• We will be able to bring the new Aqara Thread sensors to Hubitat in the future when Hubitat implements Matter.
  • We will still need an additional Matter Thread Border Router device (Amazon Echo, Google Home, and Apple HomePod/AppleT, etc..)
  • We will not be able to use the full device capabilities in Hubitat - probably just the base contact open/close ?

OCR'ed excerpt from the Aqara page link in the first post :

Will Come with Additional Features in Agara Home App*
The customizable settings through the Agara Home app will be expanded with the launch of the Hub M3 in the near future.

• Adjustable Sensitivity : Users can fine-tune the sensitivity of the sensor within a range of 1-3 cm
    and adjust the sleep time based on specific scenarios
  • Programmable Button : The programmable button will trigger automations. For example, it will help you to arm an alert system when you are leaving home.
  • Tamper Alarm : The Tamper Alarm feature will send immediate alerts to your smartphone if the sensor is tampered with.

So, if you need something more than a simple open/close signal - you still need the Aqara hub (the expensive M3 hub, not the cheap E1) and the Aqara Home app .. :frowning:

Hope I am wrong, the time will tell ...

3 Likes

The new P2 sensors do look interesting. One downside (for me anyway) is that they are larger than I'd like, a little more than 3" long vs. 1 1/2" for the older model (MCCGQ11LM). The larger size/form factor will make them harder to hide from the wife, who does not like seeing sensors all over the house.

Interesting thing for me is my Aqara contact sensors have been very reliable on my C8 (using mix of 1.2 and 3.0 repeaters). Very happy w/their performance and battery life.

3 Likes

Yeah, that's how it reads to me too. Looks like Thread is a dead horse straight out the gate. Same with Eve Thread stuff, only works with homekit.

1 Like

I have a bunch of the older Aqara contact sensors (10 total) and they all work perfectly fine with Hubitat. So do the leak sensors, the button devices, and the P1 motion sensors. I have had no issues whatsoever with any Aqara stuff.

1 Like

That's been the interesting part of Aqara on HE...some (including myself in the past) were unable to keep them on the hub reliably. I actually mailed some I had to another forum member I got so tired of messing w/them. But last year I gave them another try on the C7 and they started playing nicely, and have continued on the C8.

1 Like

I had some issues initially. Learning each devices weird trick to make it pair is a thing. And then finding the best driver. But after those initial hiccups, it seems like they've been pretty stable and now adding new ones is pretty much plug n play.

The engineers at HE and other experts in this form have said that which driver you use won't really affect keeping it on the mesh. So we you can choose the driver with the drivers with the features we like the best.

That has never been my problem. The biggest problem I had was figuring out how to pair them and then finding a driver which supported the device's features properly. I have not had problems with devices dropping from the network.

2 Likes

In the UK, they are available for £30. I can get a 2 pack of Ring door sensors for that roughly.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.