[Wiki] HTTP Features and Endpoints

:+1:

Seems like there is some agenda here by certain people to want Hubitat to fail.

LOL. I didn't suggest to remove the post, just the links so it's not a matter of clicking on one of them, and hoping for the best :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don't see that at all, just be a little more open. Some of the aspects of Hubitat's (reluctance to) release information/code seems unhelpful and overly paranoid and discourages developers who have to publish open source.

If they want to respect people's right to have closed source they should release a mechanism for developers to protect their apps (not something I believe in) ... but open source works two ways.

3 Likes

I was only pointing out the resistance to even legit requests that have been relatively ignored....

Nah, i have a c5 to play with which is otherwise a potato on a shelf doing nothing.

oh mon frere in fact I would love to see HE dominate the world

I absolutely agree with this statement. HE insists you follow their license and rules but they ignore the same when it comes to all the open source code they use in the FW they will not share and attribute that properly.

Many requests for all the open source code they use has been requested more than once and even ignored...

Bruce says they don't have the resources to list any open source libraries/code they are using.

1 Like

Like I said, personally Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s really relevant for this specific item. Youā€™re welcome to be bothered by those other issues, but in this context I donā€™t see them as related. License terms != unpublished api endpoints.

Pretty much every web based product is going to have undocumented HTTP endpoints and I personally donā€™t have an expectation that a vendor is going to advertise and tell me all about them. I suppose youā€™re welcome to try and discover them all.

I think from a support perspective, it can certainly cause issues if people start hitting endpoints without understanding what they do. If anything it, they might be moved to want to gate undocumented functionality behind some sort of config flag to avoid unwanted support headaches.

1 Like

I see some of these are already getting clicked on.. While most are harmless there are some that I wouldn't use unless instructed by Hubitat staff.

7 Likes

I agree... where I think they could be more helpful is with their driver code. The main code I don't have a particular issue with closed source (assuming they attribute any components accordingly). Closed source is their own business decision.

It's a little unfortunate they seemed to have four prominent coders onboard at formation and now lost two and added two , so still only have four. Leaving things like dashboard stagnating. There are some very knowlegeable people in the community here that could have helped there.

I think you are missing the point here.... the resistance to even post attributes to open source libraries/code is more than likely reason the current thread has been created.

The thirst for knowledge is strong.

2 Likes

I'm curious where you are getting your numbers from. There are more than that.

1 Like

Sorry I forgot one , and edited my post so four.... are there more maybe locked in a cage / less visible ? Losing Chuck 'unannounced' has caused me MQTT issues.

1 Like

I've called a support desk once about 10 years ago. Ended up figuring out the problem on my own before they put me in contact with an engineer. Never bothered with em since.

1 Like

There is even more.. but that is the quantity of developers who are active in the community.. so good guess..

6 Likes

Haha ok, you do you. Iā€™m not missing anything, just a difference in opinion is all. They arenā€™t required to document and share every facet of their product is my point, that is completely unrelated to any sort of license requirements.

I enjoy information and tinkering as much as the next guy, Iā€™m just not under the impression that Hubitat is going to share every API endpoint with me.

My opinion has been shared, that was my goal, Iā€™ll conclude my participation at this point.

4 Likes

For me, it's concerning how many community threads are locked :closed_lock_with_key:, preventing future comments. I understand if it was a support thread but why are community threads being censored so heavily?

I just want to know what I'm getting into before my return period expires...

I guess my hopes as an outsider , with a view to maximising Hubitat's appeal and success (which is my goal too) is either you can try and increase your resources or you try and provide the tools and help to the community to help you achieve that. Whether more 'open source' helps I'm not sure. It's a double edged sword.

But somehow expanding the Dashboard capabilities has an appeal to the broader and less technical users who just love eye candy. For myself and I guess many HA die hards it's maybe not such an important factor.

However the 20 hrs per day work you've put into C7 is amazing these last few weeks . Was the product a bit premature .. yes as no backup/transfer and 700 support flaky too new but that's the nature of pioneering.. which I admire.

We're over the hurdles of understanding HE and it's nuances and I personally understand and support you having undocumented endpoints.

It's the usual thing - love it - just wish it would evolve faster

1 Like

If we actually did that, we would delete them...

If we lock a thread, nothings preventing you from starting another one...

4 Likes

I personally don't mind the hiccups but it was probably a bit discouraging for those that were jumping ship from st. Saw a lot of people step up in the forums to help out all the new people so that was cool.

1 Like

In fairness, this is their company forum not an enthusiast forum. I donā€™t think itā€™s uncommon to want to moderate the message a bit. That said, nothing stops anyone from posting things somewhere else on the internet.

3 Likes