Wifi smart plugs

I'm looking for some smaller wifi smart plugs that don't require flashing/soldering, since the TP-link HS100 and HS110 are so big they block the surrounding ports, and the mini plugs aren't available in Australia...

Came across the d-link wifi smart plugs which seem quite small... does hubitat support these? Or does anyone else know of any other supported plugs that are small?

I did look at these dlink plugs online for a similar reason, as well as the tp-link one's work, they are huge. From some of the photos in the reviews on Amazon the d-link ones don't look too small either.

I've bought some Homepro wifi plugs that will require flashing, which I hadn't been keen on, but decided to take the plunge. They'll be delivered in the next couple of weeks. Can't guarantee they will be any smaller.. .

If your quest fails, you could get a short extension cable to attach the TP-Link Plug, freeing up the other ports. Not ideal, but if you are stuck, you are stuck.

3 Likes

Ok theyโ€™re Zwave but grab them while you can they work very well, theyโ€™re the right size and they act as repeaters.
Oomi plug

As dumb as it sounds, is it safe to plug a power bar into a TP link plug, which is then plugged into another short extension cable? That might be what I'll end up having to do..

I believe the only danger would come from plugging too many devices into the power bar

if you wanted to do this grid connect has a wifi power board that you can get at Bunnings.

2 Likes

Looking at all of this, it seems like the easiest way to get a power board to connect either directly or indirectly via smart plug with hubitat, and with a small footprint, is just to get an RPi and go for an OTA flash.
Looks like I have quite a bit of homework now!

My suggestion is not strictly speaking a plug, and hence not very convenient, but...

Get yourself some basic Sonoff switches. They go inline with your equipment, so yes, you do have to cut the power wire to splice them in. I have used them in all my TVs, everything stereo related, Christmas lights (indoor+outdoor) and standalone lamps/lights. Also anywhere there is a device with a vampire electrical draw (and I don't care if an internal clock may be wrong)

I'm NA based, so I have to be cognizant of the the 10A draw limit with these devices, but I have yet to find one that comes close in my use cases. They also work with 220/240V so you're good in that respect.

J