Wifi Hub access

I'd like to move my hub to a centralized location in the house. I'm I committed to dragging a cat5 wire to that point from my router or does HE support a wifi dongle for wireless access?

The Hubitat Hub only supports a standard RJ45 Ethernet connection.

You could use an inexpensive Ethernet to WiFi Bridge device.

Perhaps something like this which has an Ethernet port on the bottom?

Note - I have never used this device so I cannot provide any first-hand experience.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Portable-Travel-Router/dp/B0195Y0A42/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2ZKBOR8309QAU&dchild=1&keywords=wifi%2Bto%2Bethernet%2Bbridge&qid=1588106663&sprefix=WiFi%2Bto%2BEthernet%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-9&th=1

2 Likes

Hmm... interesting. Warrants further investigation. Thank you.

1 Like

I'm now using Powerline ethernet adapters to move my hub to a central location. Works great here. Seems more reliable than a wifi repeater. As a plus plus, I converted the wifi repeater into an extra wifi access point with a third powerline ethernet adapter, also better than a wifi repeater

2 Likes

I have that TP link router above, and while I have never used it for anything other than a simple repeater, the software does have an option to use this plug like an access point.

1 Like

I can vouch for these units. We have used these devices in client homes for years. If you have more than 1 panel the signal will NOT work across them. Homes with lots of electrical 'noise' on the lines may not work on all outlets. Other than that they are my go-to "2 tier" option after a hardwired device/AP (not an option in HE)

TP-link has a whole line of Power line extenders that come in various configurations to fit the use case. Most have at least 1 cat5, some 2, some WiFi APs, some just Ethernet. If you stick in the same "family" (Ex. AV1000) you can mix and match multiple "receivers" with a single "transmitter" at the router.

EDIT: for completeness I should also thru in our side-by-side 2 tier option which is MoCA (Multimedia over Coax Alliance). If supported by your ISP/TV provider you can do the same thing using the coax lines of your house. I sometime prefer this to powerline, only because of the inherent noise and electrical shock that comes with powerlines. I use one in the missuses second floor office for a VoIP phone.

MoCA has both Ethernet only and AP units as well. If you use the same ISP for TV in Internet (and they support MoCA) you can put a MoCA device on any coax outlet, including one in use by adding a splitter.

2 Likes

If a simple software switch is enough to convert that repeater into a wired access point then I may have found my solution. Cheap at $20 to find out. I'll report back the results.

You can also get an inexpensive DD-WRT compatible router and flash it. Too bad you're not in Canada. I have a pile of them would gladly give them away. They're on their way to recycling soon.

If you're considering a mesh network upgrade many of the systems allow a device to be attached to one of the ethernet ports of the nodes.

And of course, power line adapters work too. I have two sets of those that are also bound for recycling. If anyone in Canada does want one of these, PM me and you can have them for free if you just pay the shipping. I missed the electronics recycling pickup, so they're going to be around for another two weeks, and then they're gone.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice folks. Most responsive community ever. :clap:

3 Likes