Wifi-connected Hubitat loses its own IP address after a few days

Ever since I started using a WiFi dongle to connect my hubitat, it loses track of its own IP address after some number of days (a week or two, usually) and only a reboot fixes it. This means that dashboards won't load, and my own apps that depend on being able to query the hubitat for its IP address stop working.

What happens is that the hub still is accessible on my network via its (reserved) address, and almost everything works normally, except (a) getFullLocalApiServerUrl() returns the loopback address instead of the real 192.168.XXX.XXX of the hub; (b) the Settings/Hub Details page just shows blank where IP Address should be; and (c) dashboards won't load.

Sure, I could revert back to wired, I guess, if I move the Hubitat. Or I can try what another clever user suggested and build a rule that detects this and (if I want to install something else) reboots the hubitat. But if anybody is maintaining the WiFi support I'd much rather help debug this so it could be fixed. I'm using one of the recommended WiFi adapters. I think the WiFi support was advertised as "no guarantees", so if this can't work, well, fine, but this smells more like something that can be debugged and handled than a true no-go.

I was recently helping a customer with a financial app problem - his realtime graphs were kicking errors. I discovered that his wifi dongle (TPLink) was very old and would drop out during the day. It would reconnect, so it was initially hard to discover. Maybe try a different dongle? He had used this $8 dongle - when we replaced it with a newer/better dongle his problem stopped.

You might want to expand on what you mean by this. If you are unable to connect to Hubitat because of network connectivity, how are you determining what happened from that point of view?

What does it look like on the router side? Is it getting a different IP address, or not one at all? What does the MAC reservation look like from the router. What's the time to live on the DHCP reservation?

Thanks -- I updated the original post to make it more clear. For the record:

What happens is that the hub still is accessible on my network via its (reserved) address, and almost everything works normally, except (a) getFullLocalApiServerUrl() returns the loopback address instead of the real 192.168.XXX.XXX of the hub; (b) the Settings/Hub Details page just shows blank where IP Address should be; and (c) dashboards won't load.

1 Like

@gopher.ny, I take it from some other posts you maintain the WiFi integration. Is this anything you've observed, or any idea if I can help debug it?

Does it still happen if you update to 2.3.4? I've made some related changes, but that doesn't mean updated logic is bulletproof.

If it still happens on 2.3.4, please you PM me the hub id, and I'll take a look at the engineering logs.

Ok, it's been a decent while since this happened, so let's optimistically say your hunch was correct, and this was fixed in 2.3.4. Thanks!

1 Like

I am new to hubitat trying to get tplink ac600 archer t2u plus to work since it is not an option to run ethernet to the hub location. Looking for install instuctions next steps after driver install, otb-cable plugin and dongle connection. I have rebooted with green light now on hubitat front. Green light flashing on dongle. I am currently in my house with hubitat plugged into ethernet to install drivers . What is next steps?

Check here...

2 Likes

i have done all this already but it still does not seem to work. first issue is that it seems to be inconsistently telling me that the drivers are or are not installed plus it never seems to get tot the place where you enter the wifi setup details.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.