Wife is pissed

Your company is wimpy. We've been in the office since may. :wink:

(Just messing with you of course. It is just fun to poke fun at Shell)

If we get all the operators sick/dead then there's no one left to run the plant and it blows up or shuts down. We're still recovering from the Valentines day freeze when the plant fell on its face and that was over a month ago.

Weird, all my company's refineries kept running just fine through covid. :man_shrugging:

I really am just teasing though. I have no idea, or real opinion, on what the right answer was/is on remote work vs in person.

Edit: the Texas freeze was a nightmare though. :cry:

They have the essential people at the site that can't do their job remotely. Everything I do I can easily do remotely. I worked remotely pretty frequently even before covid, but it is nice to get out of the house once in a while.

1 Like

Nice. I wouldn't say all oil companies are as ok with remote work as yours, before or during covid. Lol

It helps my boss understands what I do and all the things I'm responsible for. As long as he's not getting bombarded by people saying I'm not doing my job he doesn't care. I do get to spend a lot more time with the kiddos so that's nice.

5 Likes

Many oil companies are still very much - the job is in the office / ■■■ in seat - regardless if it can be done remotely or not. Many, many of them actually.

Shell has been going through a transition period where a lot of the old-timers retired between 2003 and 2013. Maybe half of the staff or so. The cyclical nature of the industry brings in big batches of people at a time. Seems like the younger people here now don't really see it as an issue. I actually end up working more than when I went to the site so it doesn't really matter to me either way.

Not everybody can work at home. I've had folks tell me they loose their work focus (aka don't have the discipline req'd).
The other issue is many supervisors don't understand the job enough or don't know how to gauge work output, the feel more comfortable seeing someone scurrying around.

Our work is Product / Project based. No two are the same, with a wide variation in technical difficulty. I've only known one person who can truly gauge a person's output without watching them every minute (and its not me).
But I had fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Asked my wife. She said yes. Just wanted to confirm in case anybody was wondering.

:wink:

4 Likes

If a woman is alone in the woods and there are no men around, will she still say one thing and then do something else?

2 Likes

Careful. (I'm pretty sure they're watching. That they're always watching...)

3 Likes

When I looked at the subject, I mistakenly read it as "Wifi pissed", and I figured here must be another HE enthusiast who tinkered with his setup for too long and too much...

Come to think about it, if you play with too many devices, both your wife and your wifi will be pissed at some point...

On another thought, don't ever piss off your wifi, and don't try to disconnect from your wife. Not going to end up well either way....

4 Likes

hummm, upsetting and/or attempting to disconnect wives or Wifi,,, isn't that what set off the chain of events in the "Terminator" movies ?