Wife is pissed

Probably for the best. Kids are the original home automations. I used to be the TV remote and antenna adjuster, until I was tall enough to do dishes and mow the lawn.

4 Likes

They youngest of my dad’s siblings stand next to the tv so the show would come back on....”Please Stand By”

Being furloughed (Covid+hospitality) has given me a lot of time to work on Home automation and spend time with the kiddo. I’ve also picked up leather craft and honed some of my python skills.

My wife has been subjected to the ups and downs of home automation since we have been together. WAF isn’t really a thing for me. She just lets me know when something is broken or doesn’t work for her.

1 Like

If everyone in my family could turn off a light or close a door I would have never bothered with any home automation.

16 Likes

Perhaps a "smart switch" with optional manual control would have been a more wife-friendly choice?

Final note: By default, you are to blame for any failures of technology in your house. It MUST be your fault since you are fooling with it all the time. A bulb burns out - it is your fault. The coffee pot doesn't work - it is your fault. This is because you have been playing with it!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Likes

Now I just need to figure out a way to automate my DJI Mav to fly into the kids rooms and shoot em with a watergun till they get out of bed for school.

4 Likes

The strangest request I have received while working in IT has been to fix the broken elevator. It was “fixed” by taping a sign on it that said “elevator out of order use stairs”

I am responsible for ordering all of the lighting cables for the house..because you know...it’s technical

1 Like

I got a request to fix a coffee cup holder. They broke off the DVD tray...

In the military they had me walk down some fiber to see where it was broke... Got lost in the tunnels under Miramar... Every other time there was a fiber issue I sent the FNG down there to trace it out. We'd turn the lights out on em after about 10 minutes of walking down the tunnels.

To answer your other questions...Yes, and Yes, and you used it perfectly!!! :slight_smile:

S.

She does have manual control, but every time the temp sensor updated it shut off the fan. That just pissed her off more because she would manually set it and then it would turn off in a few minutes. Can you hear me laughing.

1 Like

Just read about "Event Control" - a much more elegant form of Rule Manager. I would suspect that "multiple triggers" would allow you to disable or override any temp-based actions in the event that the manual control was used to set the fan speed, for at least overnight.

This makes sense - the cruise control is no longer in control of the car the moment I touch the brake, and it will not kick back in unless I turn it back on. This is likely the goal here.

1 Like

I got cold back and hot tongue from the Nurse wife for a week after the shower room light went off on her in the early morning dark ~0400 because I hadn't yet mounted the motion sensor high enough to pick up movement inside the shower nor was I using a special mode to cover her morning routine.

It's pretty rare she drops an F bomb, but there was a squadron drop that morning.

3 Likes

lol - I feel ya!!
My ensuite sensor doesnt reach inside shower properly either, and it has turned the lights of a few times.
Now i have it tied to the exhaust fan....
If exhaust fan is on DO NOT turn of lights, regardless of inactivity!!

2 Likes

Tres bien!

1 Like

:joy: That is the true reason for me also to embark on Ha!

1 Like

Now ... we leave lights on that aren't automated! Like it's an inconvenience when a light doesn't turn on or off now. WE are spoiled

We have not setup an auto on in my daughter’s room because my wife fears that the rules will fail and it will wake her up in the middle of the night

Everyday she walks in right past the light switch and when the lights don’t come on she sighs and walks back to the switch.

1 Like

Our middle daughter we have it turn into a disco party to wake her up for school.

2 Likes

Sounds like you should work on the WAF. Fail? never! Muahaha!