Wiegand Interface

Does anyone know of a way to interface a Wiegand, more specifically, HID Reader to Hubitat. An example would be to use it for unlock codes or codes for an alarm.

Thanks.

This link has a lot of information but it is not plug and play read Weigand

You could use Hubduino software to communicate with an ESP32 or you can use a Haas smartthings Zigbee shield with any arduino board.

I have fooled around with this a bit. You can either try sending the raw data to Hubitat via an Arduino running a sketch which incorporates a Wiegand library (but you have to manage all the keypad codes and fob serial numbers yourself) or use a keypad which can store all the codes itself and uses a dry contact relay which can be used with Hubduino or even a Z-wave or Zigbee contact switch. Here is the keypad/fob reader I was using:

In the end I scrapped the project because I couldn't figure out a good use for an outdoor keypad; if you want to unlock a door, get a door lock with a keypad. If you want to open your garage door, get a remote keypad for that. For an inside keypad, just get one of the old Zigbee Centralite keypads.

i'm thinking you can use an existing system, then connect that into an external contact sensor (e.g. Zen16/17) to use as a trigger. this way the card system is contained in it's existing system, then only when properly triggered it will trigger the z-wave device to be used in HE. this will give you a second system to maintain though

Thanks for the suggestion. Only reason the idea came up is because I'll have (free) access to a dozen card readers and electrified locks and was going to modify some gates, etc. to accommodate it. Also have the system unlock and relock the access points at certain times.