Why so few Zigbee Switch users?

Sorry, not trying to derail a Zigbee thread, but does Z-Wave 700 have any group messaging ability?

I don't believe so.

However, while it's not quite the same as group messaging, z-wave has supported direct association for a while - I think, at least as far back as z-wave 300 series chips.

I believe it does, but obviously requires a 700 hub and 700 series devices...
We haven't looked into implementing this yet, mostly due to the lack of 700 series device penetration.

With zigbee it was a no brainer as every actuator supports group messaging...

While zwave direct association (like zigbee touchlink) eliminates a round trip to the hub, it's still requires sending a separate command to each associated device.

3 Likes

I'd like to hear about this relay/pico setup... sounds interesting.

Care to share WHICH Zigbee relays?

True. my thinking was biased by my very simple use case of two dimmers in my garage.

nothing special really, I'm using RGBGenie Zigbee micro dimmers and switches and controlling these with Lutron Picos.
The micros do not have anything connected to their momentary trigger input.
Prior to changing these to the RGBGenie zigbee units I was using aeon micros.

Yes, i know the hub and lutron bridge need to be running for this to work, in three years of running this way it's not been a source of issue, any more than any other automation not working...

RGBGenie Zigbee micro dimmers and switches

1 Like

Interesting. And why did you go the Pico + relay route rather than installing a Lutron switch directly in the box? Just curious.

The couple things I can think of are:

• You get a "favorite" level button with the center 5th button.
  • You get pressed, held, and released events that you cannot from the switches.
  • The switches don't have the ability to be used without the light coming on like you can on many Zwave switches. Disabling the relay so to speak.
1 Like

in addition to what @neonturbo mentioned:
--all my devices are black, and at the time caseta devices in black were mega bucks.
--the dimmers are two wire (no ground) and I don't like the way that they start at 100% then dim down to previous level when actuated manually

2 Likes